Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

Running Lights

Well now, I am interested in jumping my 7 way connector to keep the running lights on at night. I have read so many pros and cons but I wonder if leaving them on is really that much of a nuisance? I like the way the couch looks with the awning leds and the running lights as the fire burns in the background and I can't imagine how those low brightness lights can possibly bother anyone. any takers on what it s that bothers you about them? I would like to really weigh the pros and cons so I am truly understanding others feelings as we all pay to stay and or money is not easily earned for most of us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #2

I don't think it's any worse than people leaving their tacky lights or porch light on all night.people do that all the time.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #3

I think it looks awesome.

Just turn them off if someone doesn't like it.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #4

I run mine until I go to bed at night. I have never had anyone complain. Most people just want to know how to do it.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are you calling running lights? The marker lights?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

running lights, marker lights, same thing but yes.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

I did this mod but went a different route.

There is a company called Eco-led if you go to there web site and scroll down to the last page. They make a plug and play module that just plugs into your 7 way harness and turns your lights on and off with a photo cell. It also has all built in relays so much safer than just jumping a wire and you can choose between a 4 or 8 hr stay on period.

The only thing if you are going to do this is I would switch all your exterior lights to led bulbs. The reason I recommend this is one led bulbs run cooler and draw less power which leads to reason two is that your converter in the trailer will not have to run to keep up with the demand of the outside lights and a few lights turned on in the tralier. I swaped all mine inside and out to led and with all lights on in and out my converter fan does not even come on so lot less current draw.

I like the look of it also and don't find it tacky at all. And have had people come ask me how to do it also. I will shut them off though if in a campground with no trees to block me.
http://www.rvlighting.ca/document/Ec...0catalogue.pdf
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #8

turn off your lights when you go to bed. let the rest of us enjoy the natural night
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
turn off your lights when you go to bed. let the rest of us enjoy the natural night
Having lights on when you're up enjoying the night is fine...it helps you to see and looks nice. I have lights in my gazebo on my patio at home, and battery powered lights in my dining tent for when we're eating late. But I agree that turning them off when you go to bed is a good idea. It saves power and it allows others to enjoy the darkness, which is part of the reason we go camping in the first place.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Ok, Let me just clarify that in no way would I keep my lights on ALL night. Unless you are expecting relatives or friends to arrive after hours or into the wee hours becuase of travelling delays or emergencies ALL lights expect for the porch light should go out when you go to bed or if you find the park has gone to bed. I ALWAYS keep my porch light on as it gives me piece of mind that any transients that might wonder into the park would avoid my door as there is light to show his intentions.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

I did this mod this weekend. Super simple. I bought THIS, then cut the ends off. Was cheaper than buying the shortest amount of cable. 2 bucks at the HD!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #12

I use a flat blade 20a fuse. Bend the pins to fit the connector and shove it in. Got the idea from the rv dealer that had trailers lit up on the showroom floor
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

The fuse trick IS the simplest. Theres no need to bend it as it just pushes right in. I just worry about burning out the lights so I will have to get leds.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #14

Good evening to all. I have been reading this forum for months and finally decided to join. On trick I played on some of my group camping buddies over the years was to remove one of their parking light jumper wires and replace it with a simple 2 prong automotive flasher with 2 short jumper wires. Imaging my friends suprise when he walked back up from the pool wondering why all his trailer parking light were flashing!

Tags
lights