Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Cover Help protect corners

What is everyone doing to help protect there RV cover. Last winter took a tole on my RV cover. Mainly on top along the edge of the roof. Looks like corners took the most of the abuse. Is there a tip on what to pad the corners with or something like that. Thanks David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
A well made cover should have reinforced corners! I would use a a closed cell foam (will not absorb water) to pad corners a bit. Above all make sure you have a tight fit, it is the movement/flapping thatt causes the biggest problems.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had purchased the ADCO Designer Series RV Cover, looked like a step up from there base line. The holes that I found were nothing major, but for the price of the cover it just didn't set very good with me when I was on top taking it off.
I was thinking that the closed foam would be a possibility. May have to locate some. Thanks for the help.

David
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

I have the same trailer cover as you and I had friction point tears after the 1st year of winter storage. What I use on top of my Wingman is a carpet remnant to cover the sharp points. Then for my gutter extensions and entry step frame(both sides), I use tennis balls with an X cut into them and to hold into place, I use metal tape from Lowes that's much better with temperature changes. Once the cover is installed, for my tears to repair I use my Eternabond tape which I have used previously on my roof seams. Works excellant and I'd highly recommend using it. Hope this helps. Maybe too late for this winter, but could try this for next years storage.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Let me partially hijack this thread rather than starting a new one as my questions are close to this topic. I, too, have purchased an Adco cover. But since I got it it has been snowing and then constantly below freezing for the past week and a half. There is still a bit of ice and snow on the roof of our 22' Arctic Fox TT and it won't be warming up for the foreseeable future (where is global warming when you need it). Please assure me it's OK to wait for warmer/drier times to put the cover on. I am worried about damage to our new trailer, but I know it needs to be dry before covering.

Thanks for the tennis ball trick. That is a great little tip.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Pandra View Post
I have the same trailer cover as you and I had friction point tears after the 1st year of winter storage. What I use on top of my Wingman is a carpet remnant to cover the sharp points. Then for my gutter extensions and entry step frame(both sides), I use tennis balls with an X cut into them and to hold into place, I use metal tape from Lowes that's much better with temperature changes. Once the cover is installed, for my tears to repair I use my Eternabond tape which I have used previously on my roof seams. Works excellant and I'd highly recommend using it. Hope this helps. Maybe too late for this winter, but could try this for next years storage.
Have the same cover, those pesky corner gutters are troublesome. A easy and cheap fix, and these don't hold water ( since they are designed to float) the water floaties you purchase at Target or Walmart. They are about 4 to 5 feet long, 1.25 each, you only need one for many seasons. Cut about 6 to 8 inches off ( depends on your gutter lengths) it has a smaller hole in the middle, just slide it over the gutter prior to cover install, your done. No corner issues. I think they call these floaties water Winnie's? Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #7

Tried the swim noodles the 1st year owning my cover before the X-cut tennis balls. Checked on the trailer and the wind had worked them loose and were gone. Tear holes at the gutter extensions. Then read about the tennis balls and have used them the past 3 years. Even the tennis balls being cut gripped better also needed alittle help. Thats where the foil or metal tape comes in for the holding power. If swim noodles hold on well for you, keep using them. I just didn't have good luck with them.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
See the PICS in my album of what our cover looked like after the 1st winter. Even the rubber ball (protecting the awning release lever) poked through. Cut up swim noodles did help some, but we never could completely prohibit rubbing. We snugged it with the cinches but not too tight, just as the directions indicated, yet it would still work loose over the season & rub with the winter winds.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

I have the Designer cover, not the AquaShed as yours. Different material covering the top, don't know if it makes a difference but I only use my cover from November to March. I also use plastic tarp clamps from Harbor Freight with small rope to take up any excess of the cover. I've never had to put anything on my manuel awning release lever, so I haven't had an issue or trouble spot there. Sorry to see you've had problems with yours. I drop by the storage place every time we get windy or bad weather for any slack adjustments. Don't want to just leave and hope for the best. Learning curve the first year of cover ownership. Prevention is key for me.