Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #1

RV Detailing: post your secrets/advice

I like a clean trailer!
I wash mine regularly and am about to wax it for the first time since buying it in August with Meguiars 50 RV/Marine one step. I know that there are 2-3 step products out there that may be needed for rigs that need serious help with oxydation, but mine still looks new.

Anyone use this product for a fiberglass rig?

Also, what do you all do to protect/preserve the decals/stickers? I noticed a few light "black streaks" under one of the decals and black-streak remover did nothing to get it off the fiberglass. Hope the wax does the trick to get it off, but I assume the root of the problem is the color washing out of the decal. Any advice?

Thanks
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

I have been using the NUFINISH as a product. It is a nice one step product too. Has a decent on rig seasonal life span of about 3/4 year. I do sections of the rig all year long until I reach the same spot again....so each time I go up on the roof to scrub...I also wash the MH and wax a section. I do it in this fashion as to not make waxing a night mare.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

I wax my travel trailer a couple of times a year. I use Gel Gloss and elbow grease. The Gel Gloss is supposed to protect the decals but my travel trailer is only a year old so the verdict is still out.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

So far last year I washed our tralier with meguires wash and wax soap. Not normal a fan of product like this but this stuff works really well and beads water.

This spring I will be using mothers clay bar system on the whole tralier and then just use mothers yellow carnuba wax on the whole tralier. My trailer is only 20ft so should not take to long.

They clay bar is where it will help in removing old bugs maybe even black streeks. But will really make the tralier super glossy when you are done.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

What about products for the roof? I keep it clean, but I see assorted cleaners and "conditioners" out there.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

I have the EPDM rubber type material on the roof. I use a dish wash detergent as the soap and Comet with bleach as that stain remover. I had recoated the roof two seasons ago and this washing technique is decent.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #7

I'm lazy, I have CW wash mine then put on a coat of High Gloss Zep Floor wax. Tape over windows and rubber 1st and mop it on. It's so easy it almost hurts to tell anyone and it will last a year and looks like new. Take's about 3 hr on a 60 degree spring day.
Spring is sprung, the grass is riz, wonder where them birdies is?
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
For me.. 303 on the roof and high quality wax (like Mother's) on the rest. I have a fiberglass roof, not rubber, but I used 303 on our previous coach too and it had a rubber roof. I do this once in the Spring and once in the Fall. We camp about 1 weekend per month plus a couple of weeks straight in the summer, plus a week or two at other times of the year.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #9

you mop it on ?
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

Yes, mop it on with a sponge mop and make sure it's even. I use 3m tape and newspaper to keep it off the windows. Works perfect. There are other Forums on this, on CW and somewhere else that I saw. Takes about 2 gal for a 31 ft to do it all then use up whats left. , keep coating it on.
You should'nt use dish soap on a TT as it harms the Gelcoat eventually asI understand. It has grease cutter it it.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

Best two products I have found are McGuires RV/Marine and Collinite either RV or fleetwax. Either will give you excellent results. But as with anything prep is the big key.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
What I use is the "Best in Key West RV detailing service". Full wash, buff out and polish including the roof, and it's worth the trip down there to get it done if you know what I mean.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #13

As a 27 year veteran detailer I can honestly say that the polymer based wax/paint sealant type products last the longest. Mequirs makes several products in there auto detailing line. I use these products on my coach Twice a year and I'm between I use the spray wax products after each wash. The trailer never loses that just waxed look and the water beads and runs off with little effort. If you keep IP with a wash once a month the will have very minimal black streaks and the bugs come right off after a road trip.
snapper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I wax my travel trailer a couple of times a year. I use Gel Gloss and elbow grease. The Gel Gloss is supposed to protect the decals but my travel trailer is only a year old so the verdict is still out.
Wax wax wax....enough said I have used Gel Gloss for 15 years. Gel Gloss is a wax and a cleaner all in one. On the decals I'll use Gel Gloss Heavy Duty because it has a UV protector. It cost about 50% more, so I just use HD on the decal areas, and regular Gel Gloss on the rest. I'll wax one section / side at a time. Most of the time it's while I'm camping. Great product...It get about 3 maybe 4 complete waxings a year.

Sold my 2005 tt two years ago and the surface and decals were better than new. I even wax my AC, frig, Max-Air vents and covers.

What I have not been able to figure out is what to do with my 2013 tt that has a diamond plate on the lower part of the front section. Any ideas? the Gel Gloss seems to make it look cloudy, Regular Meguiar's Car wax does the same.

If you do not wax decals, after 3-4 years they will show signs of fading and start to peel. Have seen where unwaxed decals had to be striped off a trailer after 3 years of no protection.

For my tow vehicle I use Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. Just traded my 2005 4Runner a few months back and they gave me a great trade in value.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice