Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by campgeek99 View Post
For those that have a Sleep Number, are you still able to get to the storage that is underneath the bed? And, being new to the RV world, I am wondering: If I am dry camping, do I use the generator to pump up the bed? Being in Utah, we have high-altitude mountains, and Sleep Number suggests that we deflate the mattresses before driving up the mountains. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We have been struggling with the mattress issue. We have a sleep number at home, but am having a hard time justifying the cost of a SN for a few nights a summer in the MH.
I spoke to a Select Comfort rep in Denver about this exact issue a few months ago. He said on average, they get one call a month (just in their store) from customers with popped air bladders because they forget to lower the pressure on their mattress before going through some of the high altitude passes. Definitely lower the pressure as they don't have an emergency over inflation valve in the RV versions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Sleep Number

We just purchased a short queen Sleep Number bed for our travel trailer. Our bed slides out to the side about 18". I need to figure out the best way to mount the pump and run the air hoses. I see that Lori, Spinn, and Bruce C all have made this installation. I have to mount the pump and run the hoses so that they don't interfere with the slide mechanism. I'm thinking about making a bracket and mounting it to the bottom of the bed platform. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #31

Jayco Owners Club
My TT came with a better matress by far that our first one. It's an 80" matress, too. We added a 3" memory foam topper to it. My only problem with it is that it sleeps a little hot. We usually use it in cooler weather so it's not usually a problem. Went to Arkansas in September, though, and it was a touch on the warm side.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #32

The mattress that came with our Winnebago 2201DS was crap...as I expected. Our solution, since it was a short queen that butts right up to the wall with the tv was to replace it with a standard full mattress. We gave up some inches on the width, but could buy a stock mattress right out of Sam's Club and it works for us. Otherwise, we would have had to order a custom short queen which would have cost more $$.

If you don't have to worry about the length, then just replace with a queen mattress although it may be heavy for the struts that are attached for the underbed storage. But, you can replace the struts with ones that have a higher weight rating.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #33

We had original residential queen size mattress on our passport which was too firm. We put 4' memory foam sheet from Bjs and then put thick cotton mattress topper on top+ to enclose both mattress and the memory foam.
For the bunks (76x27) we took another memory foam sheet, cut it in half, shortened each piece to 76', put memory foam on the wooden base and then the original bunk mattresses went on top of the memory foam. Everything works quite good.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #34

I hate so called 'memory foam'. Seems like an advertiser's term for a cheap foam. Once you lay on it, it sags and is for me the most uncomfortable thing out there. Hurts my back. I would advise buying almost anything but!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #35

The "Memory foam" we have both in the house and trailer is the best bed we have sleeped in. We don't find it to be uncomfortable as you indicated. Just IMHO.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

There is cheap so-called memory foam, and there is the expensive high-quality memory foam such as used in Tempur-Pedic mattresses.

If you've never tried a Tempur-Pedic mattress, go to any store that sells them and lay on one for several minutes. Lay in your normal sleeping position - on your side, back or tummy. It will require a few minutes for the mattress to adapt to your body shape. After it gets adapted, then pay attention to how it feels. If you like that feeling, then you'll like a good memory-foam mattress. Personally I don't like a Tempur-Pedic mattress. I prefer a firm interspring mattress that includes a plush top with a 2" layer of memory foam in the top layer of the mattress.

Way back when, we added a quality memory foam 2" thick topper to our stock RV mattress, then covered it with a tight-fitting mattress cover that fit over both the topper and the mattress. That was much better than the stock mattress alone.

Later we traded up to a bigger 5er that had a cheap stock mattress. We threw out the cheap mattress and replaced it with a standard size (60"x 80") queen-size Serta Euro-top mattress from Sam's club. Firm mattress to give good back support, but the EuroTop included a 2" thick layer of memory foam in the "Euro" layer. So it was soft on the very top layer, but firm underneath. That was an excellent mattress for our tastes. The only problem was it didn't bend much, so it was difficult to get it up the stairs and into the hole where it had to go. But with lots of grunting and tugging and a few choice words, we gotter done.

Years later, we gave the 5er to our daughter, and bought a new small TT. Same problem with a cheap stock mattress, except it was an RV queen size of 74" long instead of the normal 80". But the 80" long Serta EuroTop was much easier to get into the TT than into the 5er. It sticks out an extra 6" past the foot of the bedframe, but we "make do" with the extra length. So we're happy campers.

Note that when we selected the floor plan for our TT, Darling Wife insisted on a queen-size bed that she could walk around both sides and the foot, so an old lady could easily make it up without having to crawl around on it. (Yes, she's proud to be 82 years old.) And nothing at the foot of the bed that would prevent replacing the stock mattress with a normal 80" long queen-size EuroTop mattress available at a good price from Sam's Club (or Costco).

It's been over a year, but I'm pretty sure this is the mattress we bought:
Serta Perfect Sleeper Brookside Cushion Firm Eurotop Mattress - Queen - Sam's Club
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #37

I'm not sure if this is still relative at this point, considering all the fine advice you've received thus far, but we went from a tent to our TT in September. I had purchased 2 queen size "egg crate" toppers and a 2 inch down mattress topper for our tent sleeping. This was much warmer and more comfortable than our experience with an air mattress. When we bought our new TT, we immediately put all 3 toppers on the mattress in the trailer. I can honestly say, its almost as comfortable as our bedroom mattress at home, AND its still light and flexible enough to lift up and access the storage underneath the lower half of the bed. We have truly enjoyed it and it didn't add too much weight to the trailer.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #38

We replaced the cheap thin mattress that came with our 2013 Winnebago Minnie trailer, with a higher density 6" non memory foam mattress. It was better but also has a bit of 'a memory'...that is it sags so that one ends up in a bit of a hole after a few hours. I have a bad back so any sag is very uncomfortable. We slept on it for five weeks during our 10600km trip from Victoria to Dawson Yukon and back via Grande Prairie, Alberta. Much better than what we had for us. I get the impression that all memory foams are not equal!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #39

Evergreen Owners Club
Diwizi-what type of lift did your husband put on the bed? We also replaced our mattress with a regular one and I love it except for the fact that I can barely lift the plywood base to get to the storage.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
KatieD. If you can give me some of the numbers on your old lifts i can try to get the info you would need for new ones.
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
This web site Amazon.com - DynastyMattress Deluxe 10-Inch Memory Foam Short Mattress for RV, Camper-QUEEN Size:(H)10"x(W)60"x(L)75" - was posted back in 2013. Seems like a good deal. Any yay's or nay's?
Thanks
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #42

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Mike.t where would I find the numbers?