Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by KatieD View Post
where would I find the numbers?
The struts (small shock absorber-like supports that help lift the end of the mattress) should have numbers embossed or stamped into the strut. You may need a powerful flashlight to see and read the numbers. And in the worst case, you may need to remove the strut to get it out where you can examine it under an excellent light source.

If your struts don't have any numbers embossed or stamped onto the strut, then you probably have the "made in China" economy version. Or if your bed doesn't even have any lift struts, then that's an economy bed design.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #44
Originally Posted by KatieD View Post
Diwizi-what type of lift did your husband put on the bed? We also replaced our mattress with a regular one and I love it except for the fact that I can barely lift the plywood base to get to the storage.
If your still looking.
Search - Bedlift Kit 66716 66717 66716 - Camping World

2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins CC 4X4
55' Bel-Air
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #45
We have a short queen sleep number we got from Camping World. The cheapest model. Keep the pump in back of shirt wardrobe. Drilled holes in the bottom of the wardrobe to put hoses into the outside storage area and then thru the side of the area that holds the bed. So you don't see them.

In our previous trailer there was space under the wardrobe so the pump was kept on the back of the table area under the wardrobe and the hoses run behind the head of the mattress.

Have had this bed in two different trailers and have never had to add air. 55 on one side 45 on the other.

We are quite happy with this mattress.
2013 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL, 2012 Tundra 5.7 DC
1996 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #46
Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased the high end Sleep Number bed from Sleep Number...a short Queen. I modified the bed support (made it a couple inches wider and longer) to better support the mattress. I mounted the pump on the underside of the mattress support, drilled holes and ran the air tubes through the holes and under the mattress. We loved the mattress.......left it in the trailer when we traded it in. We will buy a new one just like it for the new rig.
Bob & Muriel Tacoma, WA 2006 Suncruiser 38T, W24, 8.1, Henderson front, Ultra-Trac Rear, Koni, Banks Power, 2008 Saturn Aura Toad w/SMI & Falcon All Terrain
Fat Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #47
Katie (and any one else having trouble lifting the bed to get at the storage). I installed drawers under the dinette seats, two on one side, one deep one on the other. This made that storage space SO much more useful. We put our food and dishes down there and used the drawer eat every meal. Makes me wonder why they aren't standard equipment (except I know that our trailers are built as cheaply as possible). This winter I will do the same for at least part of the space under the bed.

I posted photos of this modification and others I did last spring elsewhere on this forum.

GaryB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #48
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like our Mattress

The wife and I must be different? We really liked our mattress. Our Creekside 23RKS came with what we like. I slept quite well and enjoyed it.
2007 Tundra DBL Limited w/SC
2014 Outdoors RV Creekside 23RKS
Robin25113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #49
Tempur Pedic is the way to go!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #50
Since there is an entertainment center right at the foot of our bed, we replaced the short queen with a standard full size mattress from Sam's Club. For us, a very cost effective change. If we really needed a short queen, I think we would have ordered one through a good mattress shop or company.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #51
The DW and I bought a mattress topper for our Queen at home and then we bought a an 11 inch memory bed and when you put the two together its like heaven! except the DW thnks its too soft! so, here wehre I get to the story...

I put the topper which is 4 inches into the RV on top of the 2 inch "comes with it" mattress and made a few cuts with the razor knife and it couldn't be more comfy!

Now, does anyone fins the memory foam too stiff whe its cold out? sometimes it take a few hours to get it back to a soft state.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #52
Our just sold Georgetown had been modified by the original owners to use a stock residential Queen mattress. It turned the "walk-around" layout into a "shuffle around", but it was a comfortable mattress.

The mod just involved a replacement top plywood panel on the lifting bed-base that was the right size for the residential mattress. The foot of the mattress did compress down slightly when it went under the wardrobes about 1.5" as the slide retracted.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote