Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
RV queen mattress question

So the stock RV queen mattress that came with our TT is not the most
comfortable mattress I have used.

Any suggestions on replacements or adds on, with out adding much more weight? As there a large storage directly under the bed which one lifts up
the bed to access.

TT: Dutchmen 2014 261BHS
TV: Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, 3.73 6ft bed 2014.
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
On a budget I'd suggest a memory foam pad from Costco or the like. That's what we did and it made a world of difference. We're limited to thickness, because when the bedroom slides goes in it slides partially under the closet at the foot of the bed. Thicker pillow top mattress isn't an option for us.

Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
2X, we added a 3 or 4 in cool air memory foam mattress from Walmart. The height for us was a little bit a problem because one of the closet doors will not open completely, but not a big deal. Much more comfortable now.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We bought a ComferZen foam topper from Sam's Club. It does make sleeping on the mattress in our motorhome better; however, it is still not like sleeping on a pillow top mattress. I have back problems and the best thing that I have slept on in a long time is the air mattress on the motorhome sofa.
Ginny, Jim & Abbie, our Miniature Schnauzer
2013 Thor Hurricane, 2014 Jeep Wrangler
ginny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Thanks folks,

These are all great ideas.

I need to look at costco and wally world.

Thanks again.
TT: Dutchmen 2014 261BHS
TV: Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, 3.73 6ft bed 2014.
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a used class A a few years back. The mattress was not too bad but a bit firm. We added an "egg crate" foam cover from a previous RV. Then DW added a memory foam mattress cover. To me, the RV bed is more comfortable than the $1200 one we have at home. DW says I'm not far off.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
We bought an 8" memory foam mattress at a mattress shop at a cost of about $150. Super comfortable esp. for the two of us with back issues. We bought it while camping one weekend and shortened in with a kitchen knife on the picnic table. Never have had much success with memory foam toppers.

The ones that come from the factory seem like medieval torture devices.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I prefer my select comfort air bed. No back aches for this full timer.
Search - Select comfort bed - Camping World
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Just finished maiden voyage

We just finished our maiden voyage and noted before hand that the mattress was less then comfortable. We added a thin foam mattress topper and then got a thicker one and put it under the mattress (on top of the pile wood). Luckily we don't have a thickness issue to contend with. It really helped give it more comfort and homey feel.

And yes we survived the first trip...minus a few arguements w/DH while setting up and breaking down. But otherwise a success!
Stonehouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Stock RV mattresses are the cheapest thing available - unless you pay the big bucks for a "luxury" brand RV.

For our last two RVs, we replaced the cheap stock mattress with a Serta EuroTop from Sam's Club. I don't want an air mattress nor a foam rubber mattress. I want a real EuroTop firm mattress with 2"or so of memory foam included in the Euro top layer.

But measure your mattress before you spend the money. Most queen-size RV mattresses are 74' long by 60" wide. "Normal" queen size is 80" x60". Several sources for "RV Queen Size" mattresses of all types. We paid about $500 for our Serta EuroTop at Sam'sClub. But Sam's Club doesn't offer an RV Queen size, and the same mattress in a custom RV Queen size would run $700 to $800 or more from a discount internet source. Here's one such custom mattress shop:
SALE price on Queen Short Mattresses
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #11

After the first trip, with my back killing me, we switched our rv mattress with a regular queen mattress from our seldom used guest bedroom,,,, FANTASTICK... As to lifting the mattress to get to the underbed DH put a lift on it that makes it easier than before..... Yes it is a tad too long, but that is ok too, it did fit and is a sideways bed with a full wall slide with cabinets opposite....
Also like that my sheets are regular ones....
Diane & Larry, (RVM64) our Westies LitaBit & QTπ
(Diwizi)retired educator,watercolor artist / (Zeelarry)ARMY ret
2016 BerkshireXL 40RB, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
we got one of the memory foam mattress from here Simmons Beautyrest+Recharge+World+Class Denver Mattress Company 1-866 727 6494:
best purchase for the motorhome so far.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Stock RV mattresses are the cheapest thing available - unless you pay the big bucks for a "luxury" brand RV.
Our 2000 Dutch Star had a poor mattress, when we ordered our present 2002 we opted for the "luxury pillow top" mattress. No complaints from either of us after 11 years. Cost was about $300 as I remember and well worth it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

For those that are satisfied with an air mattress, Camping World sells the SleepNumber bed in an RV queensize:
Sleep Number RV Deluxe Bed - Short Queen - Select Comfort LM2161 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World

For those satisfied with a memory-foam mattress similar to a Tempur-Pedic, but need the RV-Queen size, here's one:
Amazon.com: DynastyMattress Deluxe 10-Inch Memory Foam Short Mattress for RV, Camper-QUEEN Size:(H)10"x(W)60"x(L)75": Home & Kitchen

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote