Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV storage lot

I have rented a storage space for my new TT and the ground is gravel base. Would it be best to place 2x8 lumber under tires or just leave it on gravel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Actually gravel is probably the best to park tires on, because it doesn't hold water and allows air to dry underneath the tires. Wood holds moisture, so I'm not a fan, and rubber horse stall mats sink in where the weight bears upon them, causing water to pool, less so if you have some very firm (cement) underlayment. Gravel is groovey...

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

FWIW. Depends on how thick is the gravel base, I have mine on gravel & added a couple of solid cement blocks under the wheels. Allows for drainage, smooth surface & keeps the tires off the ground. Blocks are available at most lumber yards landscape department & are less than a couple dollars each.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
I have rented a storage space for my new TT and the ground is gravel base. Would it be best to place 2x8 lumber under tires or just leave it on gravel?
How fine is the gravel. I was camping on Manitoulin Island a few years ago. The gravel was course and sharp enough that it cut right through my tire and caused a slow leak.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Mine's in covered storage on medium gravel that's actually road base material. I nailed down 2X12s with 12" nails to park it on and have no problems. I know it's in it's spot and I'm not encroaching on my neighbors, so everyone's happy.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
i'm a fan of the plastic leveling blocks under tires........ whether they are placed on gravel or not..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Built a gravel pad beside the house almost 30 years ago and have been storing what ever RV we've on it. Never any problems although I do keep it hooked to elec. year 'round and heat in it when needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
i'm a fan of the plastic leveling blocks under tires........ whether they are placed on gravel or not..
I also use the plastic leveling blocks. My TT is on a grassy lot.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
RPr

I am a fan of 2 x 12s. The tires do not sink in. The proper sized gravel would work, if it drains well and the tires do not sink in.

Since our TT only sits for about three months in the winter snows, it really is not all that critical.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

NEW N.Dallas area covered storage $95 month

I have no connection to this business, just a satisfied customer. Its hard to find clean, reasonably priced storage in th N. Dallas area. After months of looking I found "A Great Storage Place" in Princeton Texas (its on the North West side of Lake Lavon near Hwy 380. I live in Allen and its 18 miles for me.

Its a locked gate, clean and well maintained facility with mgmt on site. They have been fully booked with no openings for years. I park my 2016 35' 5er among dozens of other 5ers and very nice diesel pusher motorhomes.

For the last year they have been under construction doubling their size. They bought the land next door. All new 12' by 40' gravel base, aluminum covered spots. Some with electric. $95 a month. Everywhere else I looked for covered it was $150 to $250 a month.

A Great Storage Place
Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
hbillsmith.... sounds like a great place. Don't get too complacent. Mine's in a similar storage facility and 11 trailers got broken into last Sunday. We have lighting, coded gate with chain-link topped with barbed wire. I was feeling pretty secure about the lot... which in my opinion are doing the best they can... But if thieves want in, they'll get in. I have a badly damaged door and they didn't really take anything. I'll be taking my TVs home from now on. They took several of the larger TVs and created a lot of damage and headache for owners.

Sorry for the thread hijack...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #12

I put mine on a 2 X 12 ontop of the gravel. For me the snow,ice and frozen
ground for several months of the year. I know that the wood will be dry
when the gravel is very very wet. Thus I seen trailer sink in gravel
before with wet conditions.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

My storage lot is paved and covered. The only special precaution I take is to have my son-in-law ask his mother who is a native Hawaiian to send over a large box with a sealed plastic bag filled with fragrant trade winds air to me to release inside the trailer just as I close the door. This seems to work wonders as I notice an increase in my mood as soon as I reenter on my next visit.
I am open to requests for this service, of course special pricing would apply.
Does anyone think that this would be preferable to nitrogen for tires. Seems to make sense to me.
Questions or comments.

Tags
storage