Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Probably contributes to premature failure of the plastic spring bushings too? All 4 of ours were shot just in the delivery from the plant to the dealer. Given the premature bearing damage that could occur also, why not just spend the few bucks and play safe?

Why not get the drums balanced separately first, then the wheels/ tires? And then check for balance after mounted?

I also wonder if alloy rims are better or worse than steel for being out of balance?

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Probably contributes to premature failure of the plastic spring bushings too? All 4 of ours were shot just in the delivery from the plant to the dealer. Given the premature bearing damage that could occur also, why not just spend the few bucks and play safe?

Why not get the drums balanced separately first, then the wheels/ tires? And then check for balance after mounted?

I also wonder if alloy rims are better or worse than steel for being out of balance?

You could spend a few bucks to "play safe" but you will not have a balanced assembly. If the heavy side of the tire was installed opposite the heavy side of the drum, you actually made it worse.

I doubt that you can find anyone that will properly balance the drums or the entire rotating assembly. There are no provisions on the drums for balancing. Welding weights to cast iron may not be reliable. You may not be able to remove enough material from the heavy side to bring into balance.

I have not seen a tire, alloy wheel or steel wheel out of balance as bad as some brake drums.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Trailer springs are 25"-27" long and make a big damper un like our trucks with 70"-76" long flexy springs that need large shocks and must have balanced tires. Balance issues are apples vs oranges with a truck vs a trailer.

Like our older '50s and '60s trucks with those short 36"-42" long rear main spring packs that may have 8-10 leafs in a one ton truck and 5-7 leafs in a 1/2 ton truck. Unbalanced tires and worn out shock were a non issue. The springs were so short their was no balance/vibration issues with a good tire and eliminated bounce issues from the worn out shocks. Shocks on those old trucks were long and skinny and very weak compared to todays truck shocks.

I'm of the opinion if the trailer owner thinks the tires needs to be balanced then go for it.
That is complete hooey. I currently own a 1950 Chevy truck. It does have short springs and a stiff ride. An out of balance tire is brutally obvious and dangerous on my truck.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #18

Does it really cost that much to balance a tire? How much did you pay for your rig? I have had brake drums that had multiple, short balancing holes drilled in the side of them and many with weights on the sides, mostly near the outside area of the drum.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #19
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you are concerned about tires and brake drums being out of balance, why not look at DynaBeads If you use the beads, you can install yourself and they will balance the whole works when done. The beads keep you balanced even after any tire wear or damage and can be reused.
Lot's of threads out there about beads, for and against. I use them on my motorcycle and never felt any imbalance.
What year is the Honda? I had an 1100 which I liked very much. I ride a BMW now. My brother has a 400 Hondamatic...great little bike.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post

What year is the Honda? I had an 1100 which I liked very much. I ride a BMW now. My brother has a 400 Hondamatic...great little bike.
I have a1984 Honda 1200 Goldwing Aspencade. Best thing about it is the collector plate keeps my insurance way down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1817432300.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	52074  
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Does it really cost that much to balance a tire? How much did you pay for your rig? I have had brake drums that had multiple, short balancing holes drilled in the side of them and many with weights on the sides, mostly near the outside area of the drum.
Please post a photo of a late model travel trailer brake drum that has holes or weights for balancing.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #22

I didn't say holes. I meant dimples or counter sunk holes to balance. And I'm not going take my wheels off just to prove a point to anyone. What's late model?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I didn't say holes. I meant dimples or counter sunk holes to balance. And I'm not going take my wheels off just to prove a point to anyone. What's late model?
This is what you said: "I have had brake drums that had multiple, short balancing holes drilled in the side of them and many with weights on the sides, mostly near the outside area of the drum."

I have not seen the holes, dimples or weights on any trailer drum in the past 30 years. How old is your travel trailer? Late model? Look it up!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #24

I know what I said. What's the point in arguing?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #25

Dunner we know what you mean. Seen it many times weights and holes in the brake drums for balancing.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well we seem to have lots of opinions concerning balance or not. What I'm going to say is not my opinion but scientific fact.

If it spins and is not balanced it will vibrate, oscillate, bounce up and down what ever you want to call it. If that movements is not removed by balancing it WILL reduce the life of anything that receives the vibrations. If your tires are out of balance that vibration will be transferred to the suspension. If you have no shocks absorbers it will be transferred to all parts of your suspension. Those are laws of physics that can not be denied and not an opinion.

The same is also true for the use and need of shocks absorbers. Shocks dampen suspension movement and vibration. It will also dampen wheel imbalance. If the suspension movement (road bouncing) is not dampened it will do the same as wheel imbalance. Just because you don't ride in your TT or don't feel vibrations does not mean that it's not present. It's there and it will eventually take its toll on your TT, MH suspension.

I have never seen a drum or disc that has not been balanced either by adding weight (welded pieces of metal on a drum or metal clip on a disc vent) or by drilling holes to remove metal which lightens that part of the drum/rotor.

The length of a spring has nothing to do with determining if there is vibration. Shorter springs oscillate at a higher frequency so you may not feel it but it has to happen. The only way it won't happen is if it is a completely solid suspension then the movement will be transferred to the frame.
These are facts and if you believe differently you are entitled AGAIN to your opinion. But yours is just that an OPINION and not based on facts.

The TT industry and boat trailers are the only things traveling down our roads that don't have shock absorbers installed and working. Is there something that they know that they are not sharing with the auto/truck industry?? It the automotive/truck industry wasting our $$$$ by installing shocks???? I have had 3 TT's and from what I've experienced with the low quality I believe the TT industry does not install shocks because they save a few bucks, and nobody expects them to do it. I had one guy tell me that everybody knows how well an Airstream TT pulls and travels. and they all come standard with shocks. Does that tell toy something???

TeJay

TeJay
Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #27

Our holiday rambler also has shocks. Most of the high end units do too.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Dunner we know what you mean. Seen it many times weights and holes in the brake drums for balancing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I have never seen a drum or disc that has not been balanced either by adding weight (welded pieces of metal on a drum or metal clip on a disc vent) or by drilling holes to remove metal which lightens that part of the drum/rotor.

These are facts and if you believe differently you are entitled AGAIN to your opinion. But yours is just that an OPINION and not based on facts.

TeJay
Thank both of you. I did not dream this up for the sake of an argument. I've been changing tailor/vehicle tires and wheels for the better part of 50 years. I know what I saw.

I haven't looked, but they used to have a machine that would balance the tire and wheel on a vehicle. Depending on size, they even have a device to cut and true disk brakes on the vehicle.