Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #1
RV Wholesalers

Has anyone ever dealt with RV wholesalers? It seems their prices are unmatchable to your local dealers. Just seems to good to be true and they will deliver for a fee or meet you halfway. The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River

aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard! If their crossed off prices are MSRP, then the advertised price is less than 20% off...not such a great deal. You should be able to negotiate a better discount with a local dealer. The local dealer will also provide warranty work when needed.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
I've requested a few prices from them. They beat my local dealer by $8-9,000. I have a local dealer that sells Cedar Creek and Silverback 5th wheels. They are only dealer that sells Cedar Creek with in 300 miles. Even figuring the $3,000 for shipping to the west coast RVW is still $8-9,000 cheaper. If you live where there are multiple dealers that's sell the brand you're looking for then you should be able to get close to RVW.
Another dealer that seems to have really low prices is https://www.couchsrvnation.com/. They sell Silverbacks also and really undercut my local dealer.
I see no reason to give any dealer $4-5000 more for the same trailer bought at a lower priced dealer out of state.
As far as warranty work goes that's hit or miss. You may or may not have any issues requiring a dealer for work, and you may or may not get the run around from the dealer since you didn't buy from them. Remember many people buy trailers to go full timing and are nowhere near their buying dealer. A good mfg will assist you in getting warranty work done if you're out of your buying dealer area.
I bought our Northwood 5th wheel 300 miles from home. Had one issue early on and Northwood found a local independent RV shop to assist with the warranty repair.
Just remember that once the warranty runs out you're on your own and spending $$$$ to buy local won't do you any good. That dealer that got your $$$$ will treat you just like the rest. You'll have to pay the same shop rate as anyone else.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Well, I've been looking at them. If you actually request a quote through their "build your own" web site, I find that it usually is about the same as the lowest advertised price on RVTrader. It also results in a phone call from a salesman, so do a few quotes over the weekend to consolidate. Or you can usually guesstimate their prices by multiplying the monthly finance amount by 100.

BTW, their financing seems to be based on a 15-year loan, which is nothing short of stupid on an RV, the loan will be "under water" for about 10 years. But if you have the $$ to back it up, a 3% 15-year loan might be a decent investment.

I also notice that their brand lines are not complete, and some include model numbers that don't appear in manufacturers pages. So there's some brand-fiddling involved to discourage comparison-shopping, similar to what the big-box stores do.

I don't know if their "nationwide warranty network" is any good, but I'm skeptical about how much "local dealer service" is worth. I don't like the idea of being dependent on one dealer for service, whose only qualification is "local".

Basically, dealers try to get you to pay a few thousand $$ extra for the privilege of getting warranty service without delays. Most manufacturers explicitly support this, they want to keep the dealers profitable.

It's a subtle distinction, I think it would be illegal for the manufacturer to not honor the warranty at any of their service centers, so the wording in the Forest River brochures couches it in terms of "priority service and scheduling". I wish some lawyer would get on to that, it seems tailor-made for class action.

In any event, there are a number of tactics in place to prevent dealers from competing against one another, so you shouldn't feel guilty for forcing them to compete. It's a pretty obsolete business model, even the car industry is evolving away from it. Of course, some people will always want the full retail experience, but we no longer have to be limited to it.

seedealercost.com is another useful tool. I don't know how accurate their prices are, but their option lists are remarkably accurate. The industry is not at all happy about it, which should tell you something.

In my case, I visited one dealer, and I could see he was far more interested in selling bigger RV's to people who were less price-sensitive. At the same margin, there's a lot more profit in a Class A than a trailer. So even if they sold me a trailer at a reasonable price, I'd still be on the bottom of their priority list for repair work. He also made it a point to tell me how backed up their service department was, a not-so-subtle way of implying that if I bought elsewhere I'd be treated like crap.

I'm not going to say you should avoid the local dealer, but it's now a national marketplace, and much more transparent than it was 10-15 years ago, so take advantage of it in whatever manner fits your shopping style and needs.
bobk3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Interesting thread. I learned something. Anyone use the CostCo RV program? I used their program to buy a new motorcycle and it worked to my satisfaction.
2016 Rockwood Signature Ulta Lite 8280WS
2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 crew cab long bed, 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed New Venture, Pac Brake
English Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, 5 year old puppies keeping us young
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Jayco Owners Club
Seems none of the "wholesalers" sell the brand I want. Not willing to compromise on that, I'm stuck with going to a local dealer.... unless.... Does anyone know of some discount seller like RVW that sells Winnebago Ultra Lite TTs?
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
I bought twice from RVW 2004 and 2008. Happy with both deals. We live pretty close to them which helps. The first TT I asked a dealer in Columbus OH if they could beat the RVW price and he said no way because RVW would never sell at that price. He was wrong - they did , tried to get me to buy an extended warranty but I didn't take it. Second time I just compared internet prices and it was obvious they were well below others. They have a big maintenance facility and have several jobs done there. They are about average in this regard but about the same as others in my experience. They do have a on line RV supply which has good prices on some things.

08 Trail-Lite 8230
2011 Silverado 1500
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote