Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
RVer's way of thinking

Diesel fuel had gone down to $2.49 a gal. It went up again and is now $2.89 and i said to myself damnit. Then remembered it was about $4.15 this time last year

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's like the stock market. You gotta buy low.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel the pain...only from the gasser point of view. The price managed to slip down to the $1.79 near us in southern lower Michigan. and now it's managed to work it's way back to around $2.39 and my fear is it's on it's way back up (doubting Thomas nature) to the $4.00 range...Let us hope not.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
$2 or $4 ,, I am going to use my truck and TT. At $6 I'll go back to truck camping and make my TT a guest house.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

I'm just waiting to see where gas prices are when we take our 6 week long trip starting in June out to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glaciar National Parks. I hope it stays under $2.50, but whatever it is, we'll be on our way. Luckily, the difference in the price of gas isn't a major issue with us. For folks with kids and a tight budget, I still think a good pop up is the way to go if you want to save $$ on the tow vehicle and gas costs.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

You could buy the exchange traded fund OIL to hedge on gas prices. If the price of gas goes up, you'll make money on the fund, and if the price goes down or stays low you get the benefit of cheap gas.
I heard about this fund on the radio show "Jill on money", but it could be pretty volatile. I actually tried to buy a little of this in my 401, however my 401 administrator won't let us buy ETF's.
The pros seem to say we have a fairly large surplus and the price will stay low for a while, however I'm guessing in the next year or two it will be back at $4 a gallon
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

RVer's way of thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I'm just waiting to see where gas prices are when we take our 6 week long trip starting in June out to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glaciar National Parks. I hope it stays under $2.50, but whatever it is, we'll be on our way. Luckily, the difference in the price of gas isn't a major issue with us. For folks with kids and a tight budget, I still think a good pop up is the way to go if you want to save $$ on the tow vehicle and gas costs.

Using your fine post as a basis, here is why folks get needlessly scared by fuel prices.
You have about 3400 miles round trip. At 8mpg and $2.50/gal the $ would be $1062. At $4/gal it would be $1700. A grand vacation would be terrible to skip for about $640 (at most), right? $100 a week!
I knew a guy that skipped his vacation to the Jersey Shore because (at the time) gas went up to $2.50. He drives a Honda. His extra cost for the trip would have been about 50 bucks.
Keeping it in MY perspective, my cost is about 32c/mile now. When it was 50c, my average move of 200 miles costs me $100.
Happy trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems to be going up faster than it went down. I paid 2.189 yesterday and a week ago it was 1.929. (Regular-gas) Such is life...
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have just been putting the difference between where it is now and where it was in the bank for when it goes back up. When it goes back up I won't feel it and i will still go when I want, where I want. At 2.50 , soon they will have everyone "hooked" again then they can "reel us in" again.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
for what it's worth....

GasBuddy.com expects retail prices to gradually rise through the peak driving season, topping at $3 a gallon by May.

2015 gas prices could avg. $2.64, lowest since 2009
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I realize folks are going any way. It's just a little nicer to fill it up and save some.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspringsrv View Post
You could buy the exchange traded fund OIL to hedge on gas prices. If the price of gas goes up, you'll make money on the fund, and if the price goes down or stays low you get the benefit of cheap gas.
I heard about this fund on the radio show "Jill on money", but it could be pretty volatile. I actually tried to buy a little of this in my 401, however my 401 administrator won't let us buy ETF's.
The pros seem to say we have a fairly large surplus and the price will stay low for a while, however I'm guessing in the next year or two it will be back at $4 a gallon
I was just reading in this mornings paper that there was a strike at oil refineries and then I found that gas had gone up 10 a gallon over the weekend. Amazing isn't it, takes weeks if not months for gas to come down and seconds to go back up!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #13

The real shame is for people who see these cheap current prices and think they should go with a bigger, more fuel guzzling RV. They will be sitting ducks when the prices go back up, and also on these forums whining about how much it costs to travel.

You basically have 3 options with the current savings - either save the money for the future, travel more with what you have, or put the money into lowering your energy consumption. I think the last option is best and will pay dividends down the road.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And if you really want to use low prices, now is the time to sell that 6 MPG beast because someone will think prices will stay where they are now. $2 or $5, it just goes in the tank. When I can't afford $5+ a gallon it will be time to do something else.