Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Sagging Roof Fix

The roof around the a/c unit has sagged down over the years before we picked it up. Knew it when we bought it so it's not a surprise.
Decided to fix it this week by using a 2x2 steel tube across the roof and a 3/4" thick by 4 foot long red oak board on the inside to pull the roof up to the steel tube on the outside. I put large area washers between the tube and roof with hucum-pucky under the washers to seal the drilled holes in the roof as the roof was pulled up to the bar and squeezed the washers. Used a router on the edges of the oak board to shape them and then stained the board to match the cabinets colors. Seems to have taken all the sag out of the ceiling. BTW, some evidence of water stains on the ceiling but no rot or soft spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	texas and trailer roof 034.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	41053   Click image for larger version

Name:	texas and trailer roof 037.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	41054  

Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Very clean.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Great looking fix..I am going to have to do the same but in several different places hope mine turns out this well..
94 coachman Santara Fl320 Ford , gas
Skynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
2X2 by 1/8 inch wall tubing and it seems to be doing great Thanks for the comment
Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Hi, I'm Dirk. New here but not new to RVing. I currently have a 2001 Fleetwood 25' Toyhauler.

It has a sagging roof at the AC unit. Your solution looks great. I have a couple questions.

1) Did you run the through-bolts through a roof cross member?

2) Did you attach the 2x2 metal to the top of the walls?

Also, how is it holding up over time?

Thanks, Dirk
DirksToyHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great looking job. Glad it took care of the problem. Thanks for sharing.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
I did go through a cross member with the bolts to help spread the load across the roof width with the lifting force of the inside board. If a cross member isn't available then a larger board inside might spread the load enough to keep the ceiling from cracking. The steel 2X2 was about 1/4 inch above the roof top because of the outside edge molding. I used butyl clay around the bolt holes and then put 2 large area washers (the bolt slides through them) between the 2X2 beam and the roof surface. Pulled the roof up until the washers touched the beam and roof at the same time.

I drilled the holes in the 2X2 first then placed it in position on the roof and used it as a drill guide to drill the holes in the RV roof so all the holes would line up. I used the 2X2 also to drill the holes in the ceiling board for the same reason.

I didn't tie into the edges of the roof because the weight of the lift will hold it in place.
Still holding up well after almost 10,000 miles. Primed and painted the steel beam with Rustoleum to prevent rust stains. That is doing well also.

People don't even notice the board on the inside ceiling.
Cheap easy quick fix to a serious problem. the rain doesn't puddle on the roof around the a/c unit anymore either.
I may add another one just aft of the a/c unit this year as it has just a little sag there. It will not be using a cross beam inside the roof thought as none are available there.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Excellent. Thanks for the response. We're supposed to get some good weather here next week, I'll start on it then... Thanks again. Oh yeah, I'll post some pics!
DirksToyHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
Hey guys. I fixed sagging roof on my four winds 500 very similar fashion. I however made two cross bars on each side of ac out of 2x2 steel with two stringers welded together. Looks like a giant h with another middle part. I drilled straight through roof and used bolts and big flat washer to such roof up 2.5 inches. It's very sturdy and sag is gone. All sealed up worked great. The main bars were 100 inches going to edge of rv. Parallel bars were 5 feet long and I drilled through aluminum cross braces. Roof is great now no sag. I'll use sides to mount a couple Yakima boxes. Oh I just used big flat washers on inside of Rv. I'll paint em white and they'll look fine.
Materials and bolts paint etc was about 190.00.
Flexlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Post some pics. I'd like to see yours Mine is holding up well still