Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank with allergic reaction to Bleach

We are picking up our new 2015 Blackstone on March 2nd and then we are going to camp for 2 nights close by to do a thorough checking of all systems. That way if we have problems we are close by to talk to the place we bought it.

With it being a new trailer, I'm assuming we should clean the fresh water tank and all systems before using it. One question comes with cleaning the fresh water tank at a campground. Would there be a problem with filling an 80 gal tank a couple times and draining it at the campground? Anyone else ever done it at a campground?

I've been doing some searching on the procedure and almost everyone says that bleach is the way to go. My problem is that bleach causes an asthmatic reaction and I can't breathe very good. I did see some talk about hydrogen peroxide but it looks like you have to use a gallon of it per 10 gallons of your tank. We have a 80 gal tank.

Is there any other way to get it sanitized? Or should we not use the fresh water tank until we get home and my DH can do it with me staying in the house?

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

I would not do it at the campground mainly because the fresh water will drain under the trailer and make a swampy mess of your site.

As far as sanitizing, check out any homebrew beer / wine store for sanitizing equipment. They sell a food grade, white sanitizing powder that you can make into a solution and dumped into the holding tank. I'm sure you can find it online as well.
But honestly, I would not have any concerns with using a fresh water system on a new unit as is. Even if you just run some water through it to rinse it out, you should be fine.
Personally, I don't drink the water from the holding tank... we only use it for washing and flushing.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

with what TDI said except for the last sentence. We don't have any problems drinking from our water storage tank. But TDI does have a good point hidden in that last sentence, why not use bottle water for drinking while the tank is being sanitized? It doesn't take a lot of bleach to do the trick, and the bleach smell is very very minimal if you only use the water for toilet etc.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While we were picking a new shower head at the RV store yesterday I saw big bottles of something for sanitizing tanks. I didn't look at the ingredients, but you might want to see if they had bleach. If you decide to do it at a campground, you can if you have full hookups. Use the fresh water hookup to fill the tank, turn off the water, drain the tank through the sewer connection, then repeat.

BTW, I always drink from my tank. I keep it clean, and I can not justify the tremendous environments impact of disposable bottles.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Found this

Camco 40207 TastePURE Spring Fresh Water System Cleaner and Deodorizer - 1 gallon

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2s3ygyygqn_e
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

Do the flushing at home, not the campground. Debatable if its even necessary. Have fun.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
We are picking up our new 2015 Blackstone on March 2nd and then we are going to camp for 2 nights close by to do a thorough checking of all systems. That way if we have problems we are close by to talk to the place we bought it.

With it being a new trailer, I'm assuming we should clean the fresh water tank and all systems before using it. One question comes with cleaning the fresh water tank at a campground. Would there be a problem with filling an 80 gal tank a couple times and draining it at the campground? Anyone else ever done it at a campground?

I've been doing some searching on the procedure and almost everyone says that bleach is the way to go. My problem is that bleach causes an asthmatic reaction and I can't breathe very good. I did see some talk about hydrogen peroxide but it looks like you have to use a gallon of it per 10 gallons of your tank. We have a 80 gal tank.

Is there any other way to get it sanitized? Or should we not use the fresh water tank until we get home and my DH can do it with me staying in the house?
Have the dealer do it for you.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
There's no need to sanitize it when new, and the rinsing isn't necessary either.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks. I sent the company that makes it an email to find out what the ingredients are. I could not find out on any site online.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

When a new tank is made they are pressure tested and rinsedof any releasing agent used in manufacturing them. (Plastic). For drinkingwater bottle would be the way to go. For everyday use holding tanks bleachis the least expensive they use it in wells all the time with the rightconcentration. Another is Iodine but that used on smaller quantity ofwater to make it potable for drinking. But IMO none of the above are necessaryif you’re constantly using your tanks.
Sorry first part address your question

Old 02-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
with what TDI said except for the last sentence. We don't have any problems drinking from our water storage tank. But TDI does have a good point hidden in that last sentence, why not use bottle water for drinking while the tank is being sanitized? It doesn't take a lot of bleach to do the trick, and the bleach smell is very very minimal if you only use the water for toilet etc.
Thanks for the reply but...bleach causes an asthmatic reaction that I would not be able to stay in the trailer until enough fresh water was run through the system to rid of any smell. (And this is the smell that my sensitive nose can smell) I once was able to smell bug killer that was sprayed around the outside of a house of a friend. When I asked about it, she had sprayed a year ago. I could still smell it. That is why I am asking about alternatives other than products with bleach.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will probably end up using bottled water to drink at the campground. We have well water at home so we will use that to fill the tank when we get it home later in the spring. Even though we are picking the TT up, we will be leaving it at a relatives until the snow melts at our house. We live in the mountains and while it gets warm this year in the daytime, it still freezes at night. I'll wait for an answer from Camco about their product to see what is in it. If anyone can think of any other alternative, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #12

I assume you are having problems with the chlorine that is in the bleach. An alternative to bleach is Bromine which can be purchased at most pool and spa supply dealers. I use bromine in my spa and it is far less obtrussive then chlorine based sanitizers.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several ways to sanatize, if Chlorine is a problem I believe (CHECK THIS OUT FIRST) hydrogen Peroxide is an alaternative.

Also there are systems using Silver ions and a few other chemicals (Bromide)

I am not sure what systems are drinking water compatible but check them out, there are alternatives... I have done some research into some of the alternate systems but it was limited to swimming pool applications, not drinking water.

once the system is sanitized, you can use Ultra Violet light sanatizers on the water itself,, Then repeated rinses to flush out the bleach.

Biggest problem.. If "City water" is really City water,, It will most likely have Chlorine in it.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I assume you are having problems with the chlorine that is in the bleach. An alternative to bleach is Bromine which can be purchased at most pool and spa supply dealers. I use bromine in my spa and it is far less obtrussive then chlorine based sanitizers.
That is a good question as I don't know the answer. All I know is that when I used bleach at home, the fumes caused me to start coughing to the point that I can't breathe. If bleach is needed at home, my hubby uses it after I go out of the house when we are leaving for a few days. I googled the difference between chlorine and bleach and it was interesting reading. I checked a bottle of bleach we keep in the house and could not find any ingredients listed on the bottle. While doing some research on bromine, I found this link: Sanidumps: Why Should you Sanitize Your RV Water System It says that chlorine is 3 times more effective than bromine against Escherichia coli. It gives a good step-by-step instructions for cleaning your tank. It also has a chart for size of your tank to how much product to use. It also says that you can use baking soda to help get rid of the bleach smell. Maybe that will be our route when it can be done at home and we will have time to refill several times afterwards with fresh water.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water