Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sattelite tv wiring

Is there anyone that knows how to get satellite signal from the park cable hookup in the back of my 2012 Sunnybrook 340bhds travel trailer to the built-in tv in the livingroom/master bedroom.I hooked the cable directly from the dish to the connector labelled park cable and got no signal to the cable box.I took the wallplate off and there are 3 wires attached to the antennae amplifier.I disconnected all 3 and hooked them directly to the cable box and still no signal.Is there a switch that switches from antennae to cable like in my old trailer?What am i missing?
alstuckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #2

Mine has an antenna booster on a wall plate with a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" outlet also. This booster must be off to allow cable to come in. Try turning it off if this applies to you.
16kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm confused, are you trying to connect park cable feed to satellite inputs?

Park cable should connect to the the cable barrel labeled cable, turn off your booster. Do you have a switch box that allows you to select inputs and out puts? If so select main TV and cable.

If you have an external dish then it needs to connect to satellite in not cable in.

Cable and satellite don't mix.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

How to make your park cable receive a satellite signal

You can "mix" satellite and Cable. You just need the right Splitter(s). To get Park Cable, Antenna and Satellite TV. This is what I did. 1) Hooked Satellite cable directly to receiver to ensure I have a signal. 2) unhooked the cable from the reciever and put it in the park cable hook up. IT did not work. 3) Unscrewed the amplifier and hooked the Satellite cable to the middle wire (Cableor Antenna In).(So, the feed from the LNB is in the "park cable" outlet barrel connected to where the park cable was plugged into the amplifier and ran that to the TV receiver and this worked, so now I have figured out that at least the main feed from the outside to the amplifier will allow me to keep my satellite signal. 4) Run to Radio shack and picked up a Diplexer $21.99(note: they are 11.99 at home depot and I found that out later). 5) hook up diplexer and then run all the cables back to where they were with a jumper now going to the amplifier. 6) Run a new wire from the new connection on the diplexer to the reciever in the main area. I did this because the cable that was run to the TV would not support the satellite connection (go figure). 7) put new wall plate on so it supports the two connection (park cable/satellite).
Emta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Satellite Rewire

The problem is that the receiver sends a signal to the dish. The switch on the standard wall panel does not pass this signal. The attached PDF file shows to rewire the wall panel so you get regular TV from your batwing antenna, cable or Satellite. I don't know who originated this, I found it on the R-Vision owners forum a few years back and did the mod. Instead of the jumper shown in Fig 6 I put an A/B switch in the output lead so I can switch from Satellite to Cable as needed. I have been using it for a couple of years and it works fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 390 views)
TooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If I understand your question, the CG gets its' programming from a satellite service and then distributes that programming throughout the park via coax cable. If that is correct, when the park is distributing satellite programming thru their cable system, you connect your coax from their cable connection to the cable connection in your rig; not the satellite connection.Without knowing what type of gear is in your entertainment system, it should look like your are getting cable signal, not satellite. You will need to go thru setup on your TV's to setup the channels. but the important piece is that to your rig, it looks like any other cable connection. I've stayed at many CG's that use DirecTV and distribute it thru the park and they all worked the same way.

If you are talking about setting up your own satellite dish, then you need to use the Satellite connection on your rig. That cable should not go thru any switching equipment prior to the satellite receiver (mine was just a coax cable in the entertainment center with a tag on it SATELLITE. If you need to share this cable between 2 TV's you need to use a signal separator, not a splitter. A splitter does not pass the 18v from the receiver thru to the LNBF where the separator does. You can then run each cable to the appropriate receivers or connections.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Question for Too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLate View Post
The problem is that the receiver sends a signal to the dish. The switch on the standard wall panel does not pass this signal. The attached PDF file shows to rewire the wall panel so you get regular TV from your batwing antenna, cable or Satellite. I don't know who originated this, I found it on the R-Vision owners forum a few years back and did the mod. Instead of the jumper shown in Fig 6 I put an A/B switch in the output lead so I can switch from Satellite to Cable as needed. I have been using it for a couple of years and it works fine.
My version seems to work also but do you have to plug your cable or satellite input to those on the jacks on the wall plate? Are you elimanating the input on the outside of the RV? Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
If you need to share this cable between 2 TV's you need to use a signal separator, not a splitter. A splitter does not pass the 18v from the receiver thru to the LNBF where the separator does.
You are correct but a Diplexer is a seperator as I originally stated...It just looks like a splitter but "acts" differently.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emta17 View Post
My version seems to work also but do you have to plug your cable or satellite input to those on the jacks on the wall plate? Are you elimanating the input on the outside of the RV? Thanks
Refer to fig 5. Connect the cable or satellite input to your trailer as usual. Connect from the "existing amp outlet" to the coax input of your TV. Connect the Satellite receiver to the added "cable/sat feed. Connect the whichever receiver output you use to your TV. Now the switch on the wall plate will switch between the roof top antenna and satellite. To watch cable you will have to use a jumper as shown in fig 6.
I didn't like the idea of switching the connections around to go from cable to satellite so I made the following mod.
Back to fig 5. Buy a good quality A/B switch. Connect the "cable/sat" to the A side of the A/B switch instead of to the sat receiver. Connect the "Input to cable jack" to the B side of the A/B switch. Connect the satellite receiver to remaining A/B switch connector.
I hope this makes sense, it is really a lot easier to do than it sounds.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #10

Ok.. I think I get your way.. Will your way allow you to watch satellite TV on all your TV's (at least the same channel)? I have 4 in mine (1 in main area, 1 in kids room, 1 in front bedroom, 1 in outside kitchen).
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emta17 View Post
Ok.. I think I get your way.. Will your way allow you to watch satellite TV on all your TV's (at least the same channel)? I have 4 in mine (1 in main area, 1 in kids room, 1 in front bedroom, 1 in outside kitchen).
I am not sure since I only have 1 TV, but I think it would require a coax between the Sat receiver output and the coax leading to the other TVs. Not sure how to do that.

Tags
wiring