Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Scissor jack

Maybe someone has had this problem. My dad took his camper out for the first time this weekend and his jacks kept going down on all four corners. Anybody know how to fix this. Thanks for your help
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

They were going down while traveling I presume.
Tighten them in the up position so they bind or stick up. I kept scissor jacks well greased and never had them come down while traveling.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

Sorry I didn't make it clear. When he's parked and the jacks are down they work loose just walking around in the camper.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Well now... That's completely different!

Never heard of it. Maybe tighten them more - put more pressure on them.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, sounds like they need to be put down a little more firmly. They should be taking some weight, but not lifting the tires.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

My jacks will "unwind" when I put them down firmly. I have cleaned the grease from them to try to get them to stay down,but they still unwind! This maybe a pretty common problem as they still need lubrication to control corrosion.....Ideas ??
gwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

I would be interested in the time it takes to unwind them. I set mine down on a block of wood, to eliminate settling in the ground. I also give them a little more twist, to relieve the pressure the trailer has on the springs. As was stated above don't lift the wheels off of the ground, just notice the trailer lifting a bit.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #8

When I put them down and pull the wrench off of them, I can watch them immediatly unwind. My trailer sits kind of high, maybe I need to put blocks under them.
gwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

I've never heard of this issue before, but that just isn't working right. ALL jacks are doing that? Sounds like someone put an inappropriate lube on them. May need new jacks?
Skipper4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

The four corner jacks on my trailer loosen up over time. When you walk back and forth through the length of the trailer it "rocks". What I do now is set the front frame of the trailer down on 6 ton stands I purchased from Pep Boys and place small screw jacks on each side of the frame in the back. The trailer sits firm and does not move.
CaptnLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #11

Thanks for all your help for now he going to live with it
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
doz

Unhappy Help! Unwinding scissor jack!

I have four new BAL 5000# scissor jacks on a 19 foot TT. One of these jacks unwind no mater how much, or how little weight I put on it, as soon as I remove the handle it unscrews... Please any help anyone??
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
I have four new BAL 5000# scissor jacks on a 19 foot TT. One of these jacks unwind no mater how much, or how little weight I put on it, as soon as I remove the handle it unscrews... Please any help anyone??
I have taken my scissor jacks apart to paint them & the bolts that act like hinges might need tightening a bit more. They have a nylock nut on one end of the cap screw! Just use a wrench on both ends & tighten them down & see if that doesn't take care of your unwinding! I don't know of any other place that you could adjust them. I have a problem with the clip that holds the washers in place on one end breaking so be careful not to wind them up to tight when putting them up! I am pretty sure that is why mine have snapped. Hope this has helped you!
Cheers,
Paul
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote