Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

It depends. I level my trailer with the corner scissor jacks and detect no deflection of the frame. I know a lot about cribbing and jacking heavy objects.

For what it's worth in the 1950s and 60s people routinely leveled trailers with various types of screw and scissor jacks, with no problems that I recall. Should one be careful? Sure. Should one dismiss the notion out of hand? I think not.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

While on the subject of jacks, I wanted to share an experience I had with them. I came across an extra BAL stabilizer jack and decided to mount it right near the main stairs into my trailer. My thought was that a jack at that point would stop the trailer from creaking when I got up on the stairs and entered the trailer. Funny thing, it seemed to have no affect at all and it was just one more thing to do so now I just leave it there as a spare. Ok, so that probably was not worth much to most so I will add one more tidbit that is worthwhile to many.

Since bottle jacks were mentioned earlier, I wanted to throw this out. If you have ever had a flat on a highway or after dark, you know that there is only one goal, get the tire changed and get back on the road as fast as possible. I found the most sturdiest jack with an integrated jack stand that has a very large base and is very solid and stable. Powerbuilt 3 Ton All-In-One Jack | TractorSupply It does have a high lift capacity but occasionally I need more lift and I use my lynx blocks to get it as high as necessary.

I use it for flats, bearings, brakes, At three tons it can lift half of just about everything I own.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #17

Like that jack, on my wish list !!!! Thanks for the link.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #18

Here is my story about stabs.....

I thought I could go that extra turn to get a good level and keep the TT from bouncing.

well,.......after I had everything tight and level and solid I realized the bathroom door would not close!

one of the reasons you dont level with stabs.

it twisted my frame preventing the door from closing.

no damage done as the frame must flex while driving but a lesson nonetheless.

level with tires left to right and hitch jack front to back.....

period.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Travel Trailer frames are not rigid enough to level from the corners. You may think you're doing OK, but you are stressing the structure of the trailer in ways it was not designed to withstand. Sure the jacks will support the weight... but go up a bit too much and you are twisting/warping your entire trailer, not just the frame. The points where the walls attach to the floor, roof to walls, etc. will be stressed in both tension and compression, not to mention shear. They're designed to take some of that bouncing down the road, but if you have half the weight of the loaded trailer supported on one corner... well, that wasn't in the design engineers plans. Be careful out there...
Very good point, you'd have to do some serious research about where you could mount "levelers" if one tried. I suppose right next to the wheels is an appropriate spot since that is where the load is carried anyway. That is all that is really needed anyway if your goal is to level with jacks. Then use the stabilizers as usual. Not sure it is worth the trouble
Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Like that jack, on my wish list !!!! Thanks for the link.
I have one and it's pretty handy. The only problem with it is that when you let off on the jack it comes down <right now>, no slow descent as with the pro grade pump jacks and bottle jacks I used in my trade. But once you're prepared for that it's OK.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #21

Thanks Menendez

Going to pick up one of those and thanks for the warning !!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #22

Menendez

By the way, love Anastasia State Park, been there 3 times now, any others you recommend ? Love coming down from Ga for a three dayer, love St. Augustine.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Menendez

By the way, love Anastasia State Park, been there 3 times now, any others you recommend ? Love coming down from Ga for a three dayer, love St. Augustine.
Well, living a block from the beach I don't camp around St. Augustine, though there are many campgrounds here. I did enjoy the Beverley Beach Campland about 25 miles south of St. Augustine: though it's expensive and pretty much a parking lot of a place, the excellent facilities and ability to pull up right on the ocean made it worthwhile.

Tags
jacks