Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Season to buy/trade

apologies if this has been discussed before and I missed it.
my question is when is the best time to buy/trade for an upgrade. We recently,in july purchased an apex nano 193bhs. we really like it ,however.
We have decide we goofed with not having a primary bed that we can step around on either side.climbing over each other is a real PIA. we are not twenty or thirty anymore. Anyway, thinking seriously about trading it for the next size up or real similar with walk around bed. Couple other things too, bigger bathroom dual axle and longer awning all add to the things we want and therefore our acceptance of taking a hit on it. We know it'll be an expensive mistake.
Question is do we buy one now and let it sit all winter or wait till January or spring and buy then? Does it make any difference at all? any thoughts or input appreciated.Thanks
nanonewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

I would say it does not matter. You can get a good deal (if it is truly a good deal, who knows?) any time.

I bought a trailer twice in the off season and had the dealer keep it until spring. They were happy and I did not have any problem with that request.

You may need a larger truck or go from a SUV to a truck if you get a bigger trailer.

Man, I could have told you not to get a corner bed. I rented from Cruise America a 24' class 'C' with a corner bed. Our 3rd night the next day I bought my 1st travel trailer with a walk around short queen bed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #3

ya I should have known better on the bed! These little Apex units are small and light enough that our f150 will easily handle the next size up.
I suspect time of year to buy is likely irrelevant for purchase. I screwed up not getting it right the first time and will simply have to suck it up if I want to correct it.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

If you have a F-150 you are probably good for 6,500lbs or 7,000lbs if you want to push it.

I should send Cruise America more $$$ but I won't.

I really like the smaller Rockwoods and Flagstaff's.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

If the bed location is the main issue, then can you have your bed moved? You may lose a closet or cabinet, but a local handyman/carpenter should be able to help.
The awning change would not be a big deal either, unless you just plan want a bigger camper.
Note - Just checked the floor plan, that front bed and door location would not be easy to alter.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

IMHO, the best time to close on an RV are either of the last 2 days of the month. Dealers look to get inventory off the books.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

New RV?

Don't know if it is OK, but have to let people know, I am in market for larger rig and talked to many people. you may find this hard to believe, but Voit RV in Ft Worth is quoting new units, 35% off sticker price.
Having to order mine and will be saving over $23.000.
Just for your info.
Kenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Duration on dealers lot, and inventory for both the manufacturers/dealers have more to do with pricing. If your looking at a unit that has low inventory numbers nationwide then you’ll pay more.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whenever you find the new rig at a price you want to pay and get a decent price for your trade is the best time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

thanks all

as stated in subject line ,Thanks All.
I'm quite handy, built houses in a past life. Am a service tech/ manager in this life of all things packaging machine related. Interesting line of work. If I could turn that bed by moving a cabinet or two I certainly would. I could probably turn it into a "murphy bed" type but we simply don't want to be moving /making the bed on a regular basis.
Fact is I would like dual axel as wife hops in there before I get a stabilizer down at times despite my warnings. Dual axel rides better too.
The F150 is rated to 7800Lbs. I have no desire to max it out, been there before. The gvw on the 208bhs is 6k.
Walk around bed is way more important than one might think. I really like this apex and have been surprisingly impressed with it despite the lack of a single drawer being in it from factory. I added the needed drawers and receptacles.
Walls, skin ,frame and roof structure seem well constructed for its size and price point.
I originally wanted to stay with stick and tin as I despise and fear delamination. This unit has me pretty much over that.
Maybe wrong ,but it wouldn't be the first time.
I have been looking for comparable units and slightly bigger with similar layout and found a couple that are close but I keep coming back to the 208bhs for weight,construction and floorplan. Hopefully the azdell and fiberglass eliminate or greatly reduce the dreaded delamination that seemingly invariably occurs with smooth sided trailers. Most things with fit and finish and wasted space I can fix with a beverage or two engineering session staring at it till I figure it out.
Think I'm going to keep this one till new years at least and hope I can trade this one and pick up its bigger brother with walk around bed and twin axles in the cold. Its archery season here now and while we wanted to get out once or twice more looks like they may not happen as fall and fast beef season is upon us and things need done before the snow flies and the weather completely goes to ..it!
Thanks again for your time and responses, have a great day!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #11

That's really a good question. We have been camping for 40 years and have had a handful of rv's in the process, always buying up and getting a new rv with the features we didn't have in the previous rig. This is how you learn what works for your family/situation. We just purchased probably our last rv and it has everything we have wanted and have needed after being in the camping world for so long. We bought it two weeks ago, took delivery last week, and can't be happier. The dealers are interested in making deals before this upcoming off-season and we made a great deal. But that said, if all you are concerned about is making an unbelievable deal on a new or new to you unit, you're missing the point about the rv life. Getting away in your rv is one of the best therapies there is and for us anyway having an rv that is fun to be in every trip with no issues is important to our sanity. We are small business owners and with our rv also serving as our mobile office if needed we can work and vacate at the same time. So when the urge hits for another camper, go for it, anytime and you'll have fun in the process and make your next trips more enjoyable and your experience more therapeutic. You can save a few thousand on a purchase and forget about it quickly when the unit you got such a great deal on becomes something you wish had more things you wanted on it. At our age, auto-level was something that I wanted to make it easier to set up for me, and I had to ante up to get it. My wife wanted a king bed with lots of room to move around in the bedroom, so when we found one with those two features plus all the other stuff we learned we wanted, we made a deal on it and pulled it home. We'll take one trip with it this fall and then it will sit parked in our yard until February, but we're happy as can be. So, go for it!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In So Cal the RV season is 12 months. The RV industry is economy driven . Low unemployment, low interest rates, and a huge population looking to retire. Good used RV's sell well. The dealers are trying to get the most out of new ones. In many cases, an RV is a huge impulse buy. Prices are up and RV parks are jammed. Lucky for us, most RV's spend their lives in a storage lot or driveway.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Duration on dealers lot, and inventory for both the manufacturers/dealers have more to do with pricing. If your looking at a unit that has low inventory numbers nationwide then you’ll pay more.
Is there a good way to tell what unit inventory is across the country? I think its a good point if that info is available.
tglids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglids View Post
Is there a good way to tell what unit inventory is across the country? I think its a good point if that info is available.

Researching surrounding states for the dealers that carry the manufacturers your interested in, and their inventory for a particular model should give you a good feel.
Build month and year are also on the weight placard.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote