Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Securing your battery....

It's my fault for leaving it in the box without a chain on it, but some A-hole stole the brand battery off the trailer. Right out of our driveway too. But thankfully they were kind enough to unscrew the wires instead of cutting them.

Do they make a padlock-able non - plastic box?

I can't find one on the camping world site.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Install one of these around your box with a padlock.

B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.

OR

http://www.amazon.com/27-RV-Battery-.../dp/B00LXKHBB2

Making Trailer Batteries More Secure

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

That isn't an issue that I had considered but is one that I should probably take a look at. I should probably also get a lock for the trailer spare tire.

Thanks for the information!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had two brand new Trojan 6v batteries stolen while a prior rig was in winter storage. I chained up the replacements but that was rather ugly. So I had my favorite welder fabricate the "apparatus" in the photo below. The two vertical straps have 1/2 bolts welded to the lower section that pass through holes in the battery support frame. Two nuts are then threaded on each bolt. The upper one adjusts the downward tension on the strap going across the top of the battery boxes. The lower nuts are welded to the end of each bolt to prevent their unauthorized removal.

Sadly that rig is sold and I haven't got around to making one for our new rig. Guess I better find my old chains!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5550.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	72581

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

I bought two battery locks from B&D (see Dry4film's post) and they work great. I called B&D and all my questions were answered, ordered direct on the phone, free shipping, got it a couple of days (while staying at an RV Park) earlier then promised. I have two 6 volt batteries with the "locking" type tabs on them, I cut the one plastic bar on each box that the tab fits into to make a better fit.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
I had two brand new Trojan 6v batteries stolen while a prior rig was in winter storage. I chained up the replacements but that was rather ugly. So I had my favorite welder fabricate the "apparatus" in the photo below. The two vertical straps have 1/2 bolts welded to the lower section that pass through holes in the battery support frame. Two nuts are then threaded on each bolt. The upper one adjusts the downward tension on the strap going across the top of the battery boxes. The lower nuts are welded to the end of each bolt to prevent their unauthorized removal.

Sadly that rig is sold and I haven't got around to making one for our new rig. Guess I better find my old chains!

Attachment 72581

Bob

Nice!!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
My trailer is in paid storage, with gated entrance, and cameras... but the battery goes home with me every time. I keep it charged with a tender, and check the water often. I use the same battery for the electric winch used to launch my large model gliders... so I have good reason for keeping it in good shape, and at home. I'd still take it home even without a second use. I have had some turd swap an empty LP bottle for one of my full ones... in a state park in winter when no one else was around. Can't abide thieves...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
Nice!!
Thanks! That project actually cost less than a set of new batteries!

Bob
Old 09-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
Nice!!
As I said I had not got around to making a battery lock for our new rig. But since I'm lazy, I thought I would try the B&D brackets. But being skeptical I made sure they were returnable! But, I had no need to return them!

They fit perfectly! And took maybe 15 minutes to install. I installed them over the original fabric straps and they are very secure with no room for the batteries to jiggle. One happy customer!

Bob

Tags
battery