Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
We have camped in campgrounds and state parks since 1984. The only problem I had was last year in a very upscale beach campground at the Outer Banks of NC. We have camped there for several years and weeks or longer at a time. It's a gated campground. I have a Chevy 3/4 ton with 8 lug chrome center caps. It takes the screw removal of 8 plastic lug caps to get them off. Apparently someone needed only ONE and removed it during the night from the left front wheel (closest to roadway). Campground was full and well lit. Thieves are everywhere and from every class of folks. But in 26 years of camping and campgrounds I only lost a $35 center cap. Sure hope the person that took it really need it. If someone REALLY needed it, they had only to ask me. .....Mike

TinMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
My inlaws, as well as every other camper in the immediate area had there gas cans and bbq's stolen when they were all out fishing. So, I decided to get a couple of cable locks and secure everything outside the TT when away (I have a 78lb 3000 watt inverter generator I don't want walking away).

NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have not had a problem but know of those that have. In one case the individual had a cargo trailer conversion and came back and found some connected up and headed out of the camp ground. They did recover it.
As an exercise I went after information on securing, what ever. The place to find information concerns bicycles, and the conclusion I came to is that if you can get a bolt cutter on it it is toast including some VERY expensive bike locks using boron steel chain. At best you are slowing down a determined thief.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
Once at a truck stop in Wyoming in 2004. Glad I had something to show them that I wasn't going to be a victim!
Had a new water hose go away one time, found one exactly like it in the same (new) condition a few sites away but no way to prove it was mine. Now all mine have our name on them.
Put out a good folding tables at a private club campground around the campfire. Went to retrieve it and found someone had taken ours and left a much cheaper lighter copy in it's place. I knew exactly who it was as he had gone so far as to sand our name off a chair and then claim it was his but you could still read our name on it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
We have never had a problem either - maybe because we have cruddy stuff nobody wants. We really do lock the doors and basement while we are camping but are not afraid to leave out chairs, cookers, and etc... while we are at the CG. We have stayed in Flying J a couple of times on the way to CG and just are careful that it is well lit and has security. Never had a problem there either. Good luck and safe travels
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #20

We tend to not lock up chairs but do fold them and push them under the RV or a picnic table. Many places seem to have gust of winds that could blow chairs and small tables away. BBQ does get stored. Haven't had a "loss" but it sure could happen.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
We stay in SP and COE parks for the most, and I have been camping since I was a child in the sixty's. So far we have not had a problem from thieves, although with my wife and I both having 30 years of Law Enforcement behind us we try to take a few extra steps. I do lock up the bicycles with a cable to the bumper at night, and if we are going to leave the TT for an extended time we lock it up. I always leave lights on in the TT and the radio going to give it the 'I am here look'. You may want to watch your ice chest, as I have heard of campers loosing beer at night. Not sure if they miscounted or teenagers got to it?
Steve and Joyce
2011 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4X4
2011 Passport 2850RL
Joyce-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
So far we haven't had anything stolen but have heard stories from others who have things gone missing. If a campground looks shabby with a lot of people living there, we pass.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
We camp in state parks once a month. Never had a problem. Always lock camper when we leave but leave all the chairs and grill and bikes out with no problems
Kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I have been pretty lucky and never had anything stolen. I have seen many other peoples things go missing though. Every thing to stealling fire wood out of the back of my freinds pickup in the middle of the night in a state park to beer missing from a cooler to two quads on a trailer in a gated secure camp ground (someone cut a hole in the fence and dragged the quads and trailer out over 500 yards in the middle of the night).

I keep my site nice and clean and always put most things away at night locked up. I also have an early warning Woodstock(rescue breed dog that can hear a treat bag being opened at a quarter mile) and a Coug(german sheppard-pitbull cross, intimidating loooking mussle head with a bark that sounds like a 150lb dog but actualy very gental) that let me know if anything is going on outside the trailer at night.

Years ago I did have a camping chair that grew legs. DW put in the camp site next to us to hold a spot for a friend. relaxing in our site waiting for our fellow campers to arive we see our chair going down the road. A little girl had "found it" and was taking it back to her campsite.

On theif deterent I seen years ago was a manquin of a man dressed up in fishing gear holding a flash light and looking into the back of the owners pickup. At 20 feet in the dark there was now way to know it wasn't just a prop.

My whole life camping I have only seen a few example of stealing. I am more woried and have had more stuff stolen from home then while camping. Most campers are pretty good people and look out for each other, its only a very few that would be malicus and like someone else said its often someone not even staying in the campground thats likely to be the cause of a theift.

08 F350 King Ranch hauling a 09 28' Jazz 5th wheel.
randyranger is offline   Reply With Quote