Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Security...

I posted this in general discussion before I found this forum.
I am new toRV'ing and would like some info on security. We will most likely be weekender campers at first, but eventually would like to find a seasonal spot. Is theft in a campground a major concern? Thanks in advance.
badog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! We have not had a problem where we have camped. I have however changed my mind when we arrived at a few CGs and left.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have never had a problem, but we have know of some that have. For the most part RVers are good people. I do not off the petty thieves tha chance to get much. I lock the bikes and lock the RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So far we have not had a problem. Like Muffin said, if the campground appears "iffy," we pass it by.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We've never had a problem. I don't lock up the bikes, leave the grilles and chairs out, and rarely lock the basement. Sometimes I remember to lock the bus when we go to walk the dogs.

I do however, stay far far away from campgrounds with seasonal sites, porches, golf carts, and such like that as I possibly can.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

We too have never had a problem. We do lock up our bikes and lock the coach and basement when we're not there and we don't stay anyplace which looks seedy.

You can use the search feature of the forum and find a lot of discussion on this topic ranging from theft to firearms.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #7

We have had not problems, But I do lock every thing before we go out, just to be on the safe side. Like others, I take a good look around before checking in.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

A lot of times , they are people driving through not campers , day use .

Had 2 guys in a truck that had new power tools for sale ???? . Called the park ranger , he had the tools from his company and selling them
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the advice your looking for. For the most part in our experience everything has been OK with this situation although the private park we have been in for the winter has had a few situations with stolen items. Even with it being gated, things do happen and will I guess. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #10

When we leave to go out for a night, we will lock the RV....any other time everything is always unlocked. I would rather someone walk off with a $300 television than to do $1000 worth of damage to the RV trying to get in.

BTW.......when stopping at a campground, if you have any feelings of doubt it is best to pass it up...you will sleep better for it.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have not had any problems. We leave our chairs etc out and seldom lock the basement. We don't stay at places that don't feel right. I would rather spend a little extra to be in a safe CG. The majority of RVers are honest folks like you and me. When we first started RVing we put everything up each night and locked everything anytime we went for a walk etc. We are much more comfortable now that we have adjusted to a different lifestyle.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #12

Never had problem yet (knock on wood) But I have "passed" on CG's I just didn't like the looks of had than "feeling" to keep going!!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #13

When I worked for the Forest Service many years ago I was told that there was a local family that was known for being campground thieves. I was only a summer employee and don't know if they ever caught them in the act; there didn't seem to be any problems with the campers themselves, just with some trashy locals.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We camp mostly at state parks and have never had a problem in 25 years of RVing. If we are gone for the day site seeing, we will lock the door to the tt, but otherwise everything else is left out. Even the bikes I'll just move to the back of the tt under the bunk (hybrid) but never locked....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote