Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One idea I haven’t read yet is to rent a trailer for a few trips. Trailers are not that expensive to rent and you will learn a lot by using one and then trying a different one. This may seem like throwing money away but it really gives you some valuable experience on trailer systems and layouts. You will learn what you like and don’t like with only a few rentals.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by himandher818 View Post
Buying used at first is a possibility, I’m just a bit worried about getting someone else’s problem, and buying used seems more effort than buying new.

Dropthejacks, Thanks for info about Keystone, I have read a lot of comments about Jayco (good and bad) but there is not near volume of comments about keystone, and the 2200BH is new for 2018 (almost identical to passport 239ML).

As for the tires, I have seen a lot people talk about the cheap china tires that come on TTs, and was thinking I would have to replace them first off. I know the jayco comes with aluminum rims and goodyear tires, but I don’t know if they are Endurance, and I don’t remember the size. I don’t remember what brand was on the Keystone, but I believe they were ST205/75R14 and it think it had aluminum wheels.

Speaking of tires, where you go to get new tires on a TT? Can most tire stores do trailer tires as well, or do you have to go to a RV tire place
Only reason I mention used is the fact that most folks will, in a short amount of time, look to upgrade, so it saves from taking the hit on a new RV trying to sell or trade it in. Many of the used ones that are only a year or two old are these, ones folks bought and then quickly traded in to upgrade. But I totally understand the hesitation. Our first RV was 6 years old when we bout it, and it was a solid unit. But like most, we quickly found we needed more room and upgraded the following year.

Tires, if the Jayco has Goodyears, they are most likely the Endurance tire. Don't think they make the Marathon anymore, and no one would be installing them from the factory. The difference between the 14s and 15s is that in a 14", you can only get a D rated load tire. In a 15" you can get D and E rated, for increased load capacity. Even though a D rated may meet the need, I like stepping up to an E rated if possible for added security and a little extra cushion.

Any decent tire shop can change the tires out if needed. I ordered mine from Tirerack.com, just happened to have them on sale at the time. Took the wheels off at home two at a time and took them to my local tire shop for install, including balancing and high pressure stems. If you take the RV to the shop, just make sure they know not to jack it up by the axles. They are hollow tubes and can bend or dent. Best to jack it up by the frame.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #17

What TT to purchase

Just retired in July of 2017. Sold the boat and am looking for a travel trailer for camping and out of town golf excursions. Never owned a TT and have been researching brands for months now. Every time I settle on a brand, the testimonials talk me out of it.
I would like something in the 24-28 ft. range, used or new. Don't really need any pull-outs but wil consider one pull out. Primary place of travel will be Michigan then out of state. Somewhere in the $20,000 range is all I am willing to spend.
I would prefer a good used one with most basic accessories included. I live close to a General RV dealership. I thought a new TT would be ideal until I found out all the necessary accessories were not included. The salesperson got under my skin real fast so I decided to do more research on the product I was interested in.
I realize the are negative views on just about every brand and model. Also there are positive reviews on almost every brand. I would like some help in choosing a travel trailer for quality and dependability. skip
skipclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipclinton View Post
Just retired in July of 2017. Sold the boat and am looking for a travel trailer for camping and out of town golf excursions. Never owned a TT and have been researching brands for months now. Every time I settle on a brand, the testimonials talk me out of it.
I would like something in the 24-28 ft. range, used or new. Don't really need any pull-outs but wil consider one pull out. Primary place of travel will be Michigan then out of state. Somewhere in the $20,000 range is all I am willing to spend.
I would prefer a good used one with most basic accessories included. I live close to a General RV dealership. I thought a new TT would be ideal until I found out all the necessary accessories were not included. The salesperson got under my skin real fast so I decided to do more research on the product I was interested in.
I realize the are negative views on just about every brand and model. Also there are positive reviews on almost every brand. I would like some help in choosing a travel trailer for quality and dependability. skip
As is mentioned in other posts, you will hear good and bad about almost every make and model out there. (Other than Airstreams, because they paid so much for them they would never talk bad about them, lol) I love our Outback, but I've heard folks cuss them up and down and swear they would never have another one. No different than cars or trucks. I wouldn't own a Ford product, but others swear by them. Get out there and do a lot of looking at different dealerships and online. I think you will find something with at least one slide will give you more living space. A lot depends on what you are planning to pull it with, so figure out your capabilities and go from there. You can definitely find a solid, used model for under $20K, no problem. Yes, there are extras you will have to have to go along with the camper. Lots of threads on here on that. Don't listen to the RV salesman. Go to a local, reputable campground and ask around. The only thing RVers love more than RVing is talking about RVing. Hence this forum, lol. You can find out quickly what is needed, what is not and what just simply makes life better.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had a 2017 Jay Feather and really enjoyed it. Jayco 2 year warranty is a positive. Was not impressed with the Bullet build quality.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipclinton View Post

Take your time, is Rule One.

Rule Two is TT before TV.

After that is Rule Three: How long will it be in service?

A guy retiring at 58 and intending to keep it till age 75 to travel extensively is different than retirement age plus five years between house and assisted living condo to cover the bucket list.

Be clear with yourself.

As to new vs used, answer is fairly easy as to determining quality: it’s the one not headed to the landfill at ten years. That’s pretty much anything but an Oliver, Bigfoot or Airstream (as the rest are delaminating and rotting).

Considerations past that is the willingness to shoulder some of the upkeep. On the above-mentioned, it’s appliance-replacement and some cosmetic changes due to age.

On the other brands, it’s time to trade for a new one. Or, newer one.

Quality has a price. But at approximately the ten year mark the above have flatlined and are again rising in value. It’s all about condition. How the other owner kept it up.

I’m third generation on all aluminum trailers, so knowing what I wanted was fairly easy. Same with the TV (business use predominantly).

So I sold the last house and spent $30k together on a 3-yr old one ton diesel pickup and a 35’ Silver Streak. (Better built, but cheaper than AS on used market). I might put another $20k into them, maybe more, to upgrade and maintain factory level of fit and finish.

I intend to keep it another 15-20. Nice enough to pass along to my son and it not need anything.

Definite, or indefinite lifespan.

That’s the divide with RVs. Get the time frame pencilled in.

Actual cost is nights aboard over years of service.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
I'm just gonna throw this "out there".....
As You have said..Your better half is used to the "enclosed" (4 walls and a john)comfort zone of a rental cabin..
She may be rather adverse to pop-up/hybrid canvas (or similar) camp trailers that do not have the spacious room that is afforded in a cabin...and lack of a "private John'

Check out renting a medium sized (NOT Huge, NOT Tiny) class A or C (or both) for a weekend, and go somewhere fairly near.. Just make sure that it has the separate large bath, dedicated bedroom and a "Full Galley" . Don't worry about needing a tow'd vs pulling a TT for now... just go and enjoy....
The goal is showing her that it isn't what she thinks it is as far as what can be achieved.
You do all the driving/cooking & cleaning so the "better half" can just relax and watch the scenery go by..& sit by the campfire at nite doing the "smores" thing..

If your wife is like mine..I just "planted the seeds" on quality RV'n after a test run in a rental and let them seeds "lay" for a while, "didn't even bring up the subject (sneaky basturd that I am)..left the laptop up and running with RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks on the screen.... took a month or so before she got curious and started to surf the site and various campgrounds and reviews....
Then left up a couple of "Dealer" sites with the brand(s) I wanted to consider (new & used coaches)That posted a lot of pictures for each RV they had for sale...
good luck and happy hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #22

Update …

Still haven’t decided which one I want to get yet, as I am writing this I am leaning to the Jayco X19H Hybrid. I went last weekend to look them over again. I also saw another possibility at another dealer, a Passport 239ML. It has a floorplan almost identical to the Crossfire 2200BH. The Passport has a three burner stove, oven, nicer outdoor kitchen, but a cargo capacity of about 1300lb vs the 2180lb in the Crossfire, and 1200 in the Jayco. Now I will not be able to use the extra cargo capacity with my current tow vehicle, but when I will be able to when I get a new one. Also the passport is a used 2018 model.

Here’s the dealer story on it:
The previous owners purchased it, took one trip with it, the husband got a new job with more pay and vacation time, so they traded it in and got a bigger Winnebago.

So being used, but still a 2018, it is only a little cheaper than a new one (but may be a lot cheaper after negotiations, etc. so it’s on the table, but in 3rd place).

I also went to a CAT scale and weight my truck empty at 4740lbs, and with GCWR of 10,000, and truck passengers and cargo estimated at 700lb, gives my max trailer weight at about 4500lb. Meaning only about 400lbs of cargo in the 2200bh and 239ML, and about 700lb in the X19H. Axle, tongue, truck GWR weights should all still be within limits.

Dropthejacks, The tires on the Jayco are 14” Goodyear Endurance. The others have brands I have never heard of.

Rednax, you raised some good points. The intent/purpose is for me use while traveling for work and for vacations. You asked how long is going to be in service, well I expect 5 years. If after that we decide we like having the RV we may upgrade, and either trade it, sell it, give it away, or keep it.

Saddlesore, I “planted seeds” as well, but she knows me well enough to know that I was “planting seeds”. I began looking last year as the 2016s where disappearing and 2017s where showing up. Then we went to Disney World in December and stayed in the cabins, but walked by the RVs with all their Christmas lights up. She expressed interest in having one, but was under the impression Travel Trailers didn’t have much more to them than being an enclosed pop-up (no bathroom, basic cooking, and beds), so only wanted a class A or C. Once she saw the travel trailers, she decided she liked them. She is still in the mindset of being fine if we get one, or fine if we don’t, and will be fine with whatever I decide since it will be basically my toy, and used mostly by me for work travel.

Anyway, that’s where I stand now. I am going this weekend to start the talks and see what happens.
himandher818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #23

We got lucky on a used (3 yr old)unit as my wife initially wanted new. We had looked at lots of units on the lots and found ours on CL for sale by owner.

He brought his wife and the two women were like twins in their wants/needs/expectations, so in the end we picked it up for what he owed on it as they were upgrading also. Still under warranty on items, all upgraded on the packages when they bought it new.
Essentially he bought it and worked out all the kinks and just had the water heater and pump replaced when we got it for just over half of new price on his paperwork we received from him.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #24

Glad the search is going well. I had heard a couple of the manufacturers were installing the Endurance at the factory, that's awesome that they are finally giving customers a quality product while at the same time supporting American workers. Far as the Hybrid, personally I wouldn't want to try and heat or cool one. Plus hearing everything going on outside while trying to sleep or everyone outside hearing what's going on in mine. Give me solid sides any day, but that's JMHO. Believe I would look more for something with a slide that will give you extra room but that also is within the weight range of your TV. Like the Bullet 243BHS, a Jayco 25BH, or the Coleman 2405BH if you feel a bunkhouse will be the best floorplan. The search continues!! Keep us posted!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #25

We just bought our first trailer, so I may not be able to give the best advice. However, I have a favorite quote from a full-time channel I watch (KYD)

"It doesn't matter what you have, just get out there and do it."

Just getting out there with what you have now, and what you can tow now, is much more important than getting the perfect trailer. Everything you'll look at will be some sort of compromise, and it's easy to let analysis paralysis set in. Don't worry about hitting it out of the park now, it's much more important to be on the field.

Now get something and come join "us."
Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #26

Tt q & a

[QUOTE=himandher818;3953416]Update …

Still haven’t decided which one I want to get yet, as I am writing this I am leaning to the Jayco X19H Hybrid. I went last weekend to look them over again. I also saw another possibility at another dealer, a Passport 239ML. It has a floorplan almost identical to the Crossfire 2200BH. The Passport has a three burner stove, oven, nicer outdoor kitchen, but a cargo capacity of about 1300lb vs the 2180lb in the Crossfire, and 1200 in the Jayco. Now I will not be able to use the extra cargo capacity with my current tow vehicle, but when I will be able to when I get a new one. Also the passport is a used 2018 model.

Rednax, you raised some good points. The intent/purpose is for me use while traveling for work and for vacations. You asked how long is going to be in service, well I expect 5 years. If after that we decide we like having the RV we may upgrade, and either trade it, sell it, give it away, or keep it. "

We went from an old (25 years old), small pop up to a hybrid. Had it for two seasons and decided that what I really wanted was a hard sided TT. We got a nice Hideout, very well constructed and plenty of room for the two of us. MUCH quieter than the hybrid.

Prior to buying, I upgraded the TV from a Ford F-150 5.0 to a F-250 6.7 diesel. Couple of reasons, I did not want to limited when I went shopping. I knew I could pull anything that I could afford.

You may end up doing much the same thing. In my case we knew that we wanted our time off to be camping. We will keep this camper until it falls apart.

You mentioned gizmo in a post. We did purchase and use them for the hybrid. They certainly help.

Good luck!
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #27

Ok, I did it. Or at least agreed to a price and committed to the purchase on Friday (29th), expect to pick it up on Jan 6th.

I went with the Jayco Hybrid. I had a price I was willing to accept for both the Passport 239ML and Jayco X19H so I had to decide on one of them. In the end it came down to towablity with my current truck. If I gone with the 239ML I would most likely need to get a bigger truck in 2018, now I can wait on that until 2019 as originally planned.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. Now I guess I’ll get to move on to asking questions about how to do this thing or that thing works. Maybe someday even get to point of giving others advice and good as y’all have given me.

Thank you.
himandher818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #28

Good deal, hit us with some pics when you get the new rig home!

Tags
advice, travel trailer, travel, trailer