Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Seeking advice on travel trailers

Greetings,

Typical new member questions here. My wife and I planning on getting a travel trailer, and have two in mind right now. One is a 2018 Jayco X19H, and the other is a 2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2200BH. We like both, but also have some concerns about both.

First is, what about the general quality of the Jay Feathers and Bullet Crossfires?

Second is, the tow-ability with my 4.2L 2007 F-150. Assuming 800+lbs in the trailer I can still be under all weights with the Jayco, but not the Crossfire. I would have to cut about 150-200lbs of cargo somewhere to stay under weights with the Crossfire. Either way a new tow vehicle is in the future, but would have to be sooner rather than later with Crossfire.

Third is, about temperature control in the hybrid. Most posts I have seen say something like “It would cool enough”, “It was a bit hot”. Both of which are subjective. For me 80 is cool enough, but for my wife 75 is a bit hot. The Jayco has the 15K A/C, and I would be using some type of covers over the pop-outs. We figure the most extreme temps we would have would be in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campground in August. Could we expect to maintain 70’s during the day, and low 70’s or less at night in the hybrid.

Any advice/help/opinions on the areas mention above or other area are welcome. In general, I feel the Jayco could be the risky choice (It think we would either love it, or hate it), and the crossfire is the low risk choice (I think we would like it).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

My sister and her DH have an earlier version of the Jayco hybrid and they love it.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

I haven't had a TT since 1988 when we got our first motorhome so I can't really answer questions on the newer ones.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 AM   #4

You didn't mention if you are completely new to RVing or not. Also, a little more info on your family makeup might would help too, such as couple with 2 kids, 4 kids, etc. Might I suggest, if you are looking at a new tow vehicle in the near future and you haven't RV'd before, do some shopping in the used market first for something you can tow with the current truck. Discover if RVing is something you and the family love or if it tends to just sit in the driveway a lot. This will give you a chance to decide how much room and amenities you really need to enjoy the experience, like do you have to have an outdoor kitchen, is a booth dinette something you can or can't live without, etc. Then, if you are enjoying the camping like we hope you will, start looking at new again with all the ideas that you now have from experience. Folks tend to buy an RV and when they figure out they like camping, they go back and trade up fairly quickly. If you buy new out of the gate, you will come up way short on trade-in or resell if you decide to upgrade. Also, once you decide on what new RV will fit you the best, then buy a truck that will tow it. If you strike now on a vehicle, only to find the RV that fits you and the family best down the road weighs in at 8000 lbs, you may find your new ride won't tow it which puts you back to vehicle shopping again. Just reading your post, it sounds like you are still a little up in the air about what you want, so keep shopping. Lots of choices out there! Good luck, keep us posted on how the search is going!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #5

I agree with dropthejacks. So much more depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Life style, kids, and locations really drive the trailer choice.

It is good you are looking at a trailer that your TV can handle, but don't forget about the amount of junk you start loading in the bed of your truck (bikes, wood, cooler, it starts to add up) so keep this added weight in mind. Just because it can tow doesn't mean it should. Things like larger brakes and transmission coolers may not come standard on your TV.

My number one advice is always go sit in some for a couple of hours. Find one that fits you and your life style, then get the TV that will work. Nothing worse than buying something you don't like being in and hate to tow, because then you will never get to enjoy the adventure.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

Thank you Mr_D, maybe someday a motorhome will be in our future as well.

Desert Flyer, I keep seeing comment similar to yours about the Jayco hybrids. I don’t recall having seen any that say they hated it. Usually the reason people give for upgraded was they got tired or the extra-work with the canvas ends after a few years.

Good questions Dropthejacks and ktn1966.

We are new to RVing. I grew up tent camping, at times living in a tent for a summer working at scout camps. Camping was something I grew up doing. My wife on the other hand, has only camped in a cabin and wont camp unless she has a non-public bathroom and shower.

As for the family it is my wife, myself and a 120lb lab-husky mix. My wife and the husky mix are the reasons I am concerned more about heat than cold in the hybrid. The upgrade in the truck is going happen with or without an RV, and will most likely be 2500/250 size. That’s why I am willing to consider a TT that I would have to travel light in with my current truck. We live in NW Georgia, and travel would mostly be in the South East. I do not see us dry camping (or even walmarting) we would be staying in campgrounds with hookups, traveling without water, and getting groceries at the destination.

As far as usage goes, I travel for work and would use this instead of having to stay in a questionable motel room (at least I know for sure when the sheets where last washed). These would be stays of 1 week to a month or more at time. My wife and the dog would join me sometimes. Weekend trips < 100 miles would also be done. Once or twice a year would a trip Disney to stay in the campground instead of one of the other resorts.

Also once a year would be a Family vacation for a week where my youngest son (adult now), and my mother would also be staying in the RV with us (I already have reservations for a full hookup site at Disney’s Fort Wilderness in Dec 2018). Typically these once a year vacations are in a cabin at fort wilderness, a cabin in Pigeon Forge, or something similar to that. My oldest son and his wife would be joining us and will be either in a tent or a popup when they get a truck, so they would hanging out with us in the RV when weather was not nice enough to hang out outside.

The things that are important are
• Room enough for wife and dog to stay when they join me on a work trip
• A separate sink for the bathroom and kitchen
• The toilet not in the shower
• Sleeps 4 adults (youngest son is tallest at 5’8”) in three separate locations
• Room for up 6 to hang out (the couch and dinette)
• My wife likes the outside kitchen on 2200bh, I like the oven in X19H.
• Can be towed, even it is with minimum cargo, with my current truck until the upgrade.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

OK, I'm getting a better feel for you now. #1, drop the idea of the bunkhouse. It will only decrease usable space for you and the wife. Instead, look at couples plans with a couch that folds out into a queen bed which, with an air mattress, will do great for having company. If you get a rear-living plan, most will come with the couch and theater seating across from the TV. This will offer another sleeping arraignment as they usually fold down quite flat. I know I've caught my share of naps in ours, lol. The dinette will sleep someone, assuming they are not overly tall. Outdoor kitchen is a personal issue you will have to look at. I know some folks who adore theirs. Myself, I would never want one because A) they take up interior space B) the small fridge doesn't offer a lot and C) its way easier to just set up a Weber Q1000 grill outside on a small camping table and cook your heart out on a quality grill vs the cheap grill they normally include in the outdoor kitchen. But that's just my opinion. Entertaining folks takes room, so 30' plus is going to be a must have. And the wife wants a nice bath, again this comes generally with longer units and is a must have because if the wife isn't happy.... well, we all know that one. So, with all this in mind and without knowing budget restraints I'll make a couple of suggestions. But these will require the addition of a 2500 gaser or diesel now vs later, but will be RVs you can enjoy for years down the road:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2970rl

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...rplans/315rlts

Keystone Outback 326RL or 328RL

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ite-hawk/31rl/
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Regarding the “canvas” on hybrids...several points:
- not really canvas anymore like old tents; not much maintenance other than a little Camp Dry and waxing the zippers once every long while.
- tent ends will act just like your tent with heat and cold. It will be cold in cold weather and hot in hot weather. If becomes too cold even with heater on, you can add a small catalytic heater and point it toward the tent end.
- wonderful part of tent ends is “opening up” in the morning or during an afternoon nap. Lots of fresh air and not a closed in feeling.
- while I haven’t owned a hybrid (have a pop up), I can’t imagine the tent ends are most cumbersome than a true tent. Probably fairly easy once you get the hang of it.
- sister tells me that on more than one occasion they arrived at their camp site at night during a rain and simply didn’t fold down either end. They slept inside on dinette and couch til morning and then set up in clear weather. Good flexibility in inclement weather.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #9

I would think long and hard about getting a trailer with extra sleep space that you will only use once a year. You will spend the entire year paying for this extra space in various ways like tow vehicle size/milage, and camp site availability.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #10

Thanks for input everyone.

Desert Flyer, As a pop-up owner do you, or your sister in here hybrid use any covers like popup gizmos? By any chance have you, or you sister, noted the actual temps outside vs inside on hot days? It the hot day I am mostly concerned about. And from what we saw of the hybrid, the bunk ends seem easy to raise and lower.

Dropthejacks, you hit the nail on head with your suggestions, those are the type I would love to have. I too would much rather have a good grill, than the outdoor kitchen, but like you said “if the wife isn't happy…”. Fortunately, it’s a hard requirement for her, she had not even considered it until she actually saw it. Problem is I can’t see myself getting a $40-50K trailer before we know beyond doubt will enjoy RVing. I am willing to spend $20K, and loose $10K if after a few years we don’t like having an RV, or if we do love having an and want to go for something bigger. So, I am going to keep my eye out for the 2023 Grand Designs models. Your sig says you have Keystone Outback, I’m not sure how close that is the Bullet, but what is your general impression of Keystone and their products in general?

Blueridge-fl, you make a good point. I think that of the two I’m looking at the best use of space is hybid since it’s almost 5ft shorter. I could go with something with a slide dinette that would allow for enough room for an air mattress on floor during that one week. That would still sleep the 4 adults in 3 locations.

Anyway, I am going to another dealer tomorrow that has a Keystone Passport very much like the bullet, and another next weekend that has some Minnie Winnies, so we will see what else comes up.

In a way, all this comparing and what if-ing, is actually fun. I just hope I make the right choice in the end.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by himandher818 View Post
Dropthejacks, you hit the nail on head with your suggestions, those are the type I would love to have. I too would much rather have a good grill, than the outdoor kitchen, but like you said “if the wife isn't happy…”. Fortunately, it’s a hard requirement for her, she had not even considered it until she actually saw it. Problem is I can’t see myself getting a $40-50K trailer before we know beyond doubt will enjoy RVing. I am willing to spend $20K, and loose $10K if after a few years we don’t like having an RV, or if we do love having an and want to go for something bigger. So, I am going to keep my eye out for the 2023 Grand Designs models. Your sig says you have Keystone Outback, I’m not sure how close that is the Bullet, but what is your general impression of Keystone and their products in general?
Totally understand. As mentioned in an earlier post, I would for sure be looking at used out of the gate. Then, after trying it for a while, step on up to a new model if you find you're loving the life. As far as the Outback, we have had no issues and it has preformed like a champ. We picked it up Sept 2016, and short of missing maybe two months, it has been on the road monthly. We have about 9K miles on it, from Williamsburg VA to Key West FL and lots of points in between and we couldn't be happier. If you will read enough forums you will hear folks complaining about every make, model and brand of RV out there, short of maybe an Airstream, and this includes Keystone products. We have had great success, others have had nightmares. I think sometimes it just depends on which day the one you buy rolled off the assembly line. But at this point, I would buy another Outback if that answers your question. The main difference in the Bullet vs the Outback is going to be a better finish on the Outback and the furniture will be larger and a bit higher quality. Also, look for RV models with 15" aluminum rims so you will be able to upgrade the "China-popper" tires it will probably come with to a decent tire like the GY Endurance or Maxxis. Some manufacturers are doing this on their own currently, but many are not. Just a helpful hint .
Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by himandher818 View Post
Thanks for input everyone.

Desert Flyer, As a pop-up owner do you, or your sister in here hybrid use any covers like popup gizmos? By any chance have you, or you sister, noted the actual temps outside vs inside on hot days? It the hot day I am mostly concerned about. And from what we saw of the hybrid, the bunk ends seem easy to raise and lower.

We never camped in really hot weather...when it was hot, we would go to a higher elevation. So never used various gizmos. In the heat of the day, even in the high mountains of AZ, we would relax in our zero-gravity chairs and “chase the shade”.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #13

Northwood Arctic Fox, not too far from you either. You'll need the truck for this one, heavy, but they sure are well built, and four seasons insulated. None of the units you are considering get anywhere close. (Husky's love them in the summer...)
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...25P-5000732186

Here's a walk-thru of a very similar new model, the 25W:
https://youtu.be/GHBv5YIkhaM

Edit: now for a smaller trailer, I'm also a big fan of a decent Hybrid. Forest River makes Rockwood Roo and the identical Shamrock label.
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/r...404889724.html
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #14

Buying used at first is a possibility, I’m just a bit worried about getting someone else’s problem, and buying used seems more effort than buying new.

I work contract, and tend to travel for those contracts, but I’m not 100% percent sure the contract I’m working on will continue into 2018. If it is going to continue, I’m planning to take advantage of winter/end of year pricing go ahead buy a new unit towable by my truck that I will like for years and enjoy even more once I upgrade my truck. If I am working a contract at the start of 2018 that is more local (commutable) I will be upgrading the truck first and looking at new and used TTs. That’s the plan at the moment anyway, and all plans change.

Yes the smart thing would be to upgrade the truck first, and then get a used TT, but I don’t always do what I know to be the smartest thing. Of course after looking at the ones just outside our towable range, we may drop the idea of getting a TT now and upgrade the truck first.

Normal_Dave, funny you mention the Roo/Shamrock 23IKSS. I was at a dealer this weekend that had one of each in their used lot. I really liked them, they are very roomy, but once again a bit too heavy. However still an option if go with the truck first.

Dropthejacks, Thanks for info about Keystone, I have read a lot of comments about Jayco (good and bad) but there is not near volume of comments about keystone, and the 2200BH is new for 2018 (almost identical to passport 239ML).

As for the tires, I have seen a lot people talk about the cheap china tires that come on TTs, and was thinking I would have to replace them first off. I know the jayco comes with aluminum rims and goodyear tires, but I don’t know if they are Endurance, and I don’t remember the size. I don’t remember what brand was on the Keystone, but I believe they were ST205/75R14 and it think it had aluminum wheels.

Speaking of tires, where you go to get new tires on a TT? Can most tire stores do trailer tires as well, or do you have to go to a RV tire place?

Desert Flyer, “chase the shade” sounds very much like what I used to in southern New Mexico. There was a noticeable difference in temperature between in the sun and in the shade.

Tags
advice, travel trailer, travel, trailer