Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #1
Set up/break down routine

I just got back from camping in williams AZ. Would love to know what your set up and break down routine is. Just so I know if I'm missing anything. From start to finish. (Jacks or tongue lever first? Monitor panel, does it always get turned on? Draining tanks, rinsing tanks, dropping those little pouches in, adding water after dumping the tank?

Please anything helps

Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I just got back from camping in williams AZ. Would love to know what your set up and break down routine is. Just so I know if I'm missing anything. From start to finish. (Jacks or tongue lever first? Monitor panel, does it always get turned on? Draining tanks, rinsing tanks, dropping those little pouches in, adding water after dumping the tank?

Please anything helps
We level first, use the chocks, then unhitch from the TV. We use the stabilizers/jacks after it's level. Then DH gets the water and sewer connected. We then extend the slideout, bring the cats in from the TV and put up the TV antenna while the coffee is making.

When we leave we dump the tank/s, remove the stabilizers, unhook water and electricity, bring the cats out to the TV, pull in the slide, lower the antenna, hook up to the TV, remove the chocks and drive off.

Never move a slide with cats loose - more than a few have been maimed or killed in moving slides. Be careful of dogs also.

He does most of that while I'm usually inside getting everything ready to roll without it falling over - whatever.

We don't use anything in our tanks and how no odor problems in our RV.

Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Build a checklist and use it. I set my laptop on the sink with the checklist open so my wife and I can check off things that are accomplished.

We now have a GPS that has a checklist that can be modified so it is used now. The checklist has saved my bacon more than once. When you get all of the stuff going on it really helps. A simple check item for me is to move the seats forward before moving slides. Missing that one can cause trim damage on my rv.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
We have a check list for any departure, mainly safety stuff, getting older you know !!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

I have a checklist which is a work in progress. I always find something new to add to it. You can do a search and find lists that others have employed. Everyones RV is different, so the checklist should be different.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!!!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
I constantly forget one item and have to go back to the start.....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hookups: Connect power first, after checking the CG power is good, especially if hot outside and need the air conditioning going soonest. Connect / disconnect fresh water hose, with pressure regulator, before handling sewer hose.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Run in slide, run in awning, walk around picking up anything not already put away, unplug and stow electric cord, get in and drive away. Hit the dump station on the way out.

I do not use anything connected except the electric. If I want to dump and have the option at the site then I do it and stow the stuff. Ditto fill the water tank. Don't tend to leave a lot laying around so not much to put away.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Costly mistakes I have made by not following my checklist...

-2 distroyed stabiliizer jacks (left down)
-1 set entry stairs 3step left down
-tv antenna left up
-roof damage cuz I forgot to look up for trees while backing in
-ladder distroyed when backing in (hit branch)
-7 way plug destroyed dragging all the way home (forgot to plug it in)
-furniture damaged due to drawers not being secured when traveling

Search on checklists: Campground Set-Up Checklist
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
My Checklist

1. Pull up to site get out check for low limbs and other obstructions, check where I want to put trailer.
  2. Put dogs in portable pen so I do not have to watch for them.
  3. Have DW guide me into spot checking for electric, sewer and water connections are.
  4. Level side to side.
  5. Chock Wheels.
  6. Raise jack remove and stow WDH bars and sway bar.
  7. Remove and hang safety chains, Brake cable and wire harness.
  8. Lock WDH chains to safety chains.
  9. Raise jack off TV hitch then pull truck forward to clear trailer.
  10. Lock coupler.
  11. Level front to back.
  12. Put leveling jacks down.
  13. Clean water valve (spray bottle with bleach).
  14. Attach Y splitter to valve.
  15. Hook spray hose to one side pressure regulator and water hose to filter on the other.
  16. Put 90 degree fitting on trailer water outlet and install filter.
  17. Turn on water check for leaks inside and outside.
  18. I hook up the sewer as it is needed.
  19. Put trailer steps down.
  21. I forgot them good reason to put them in the pen!
  22. Relax and enjoy yourself!
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use a mental checklist, which sometimes is the wrong thing to do, but I hate paperwork. I do do a three time walk around before pulling out, check all compartment doors to make sure they are locked, check all lights for operation and brakes, make sure stabilizers are raised and chocks are stowed, look to make sure satellite dish is stowed on the roof and TV antenna is down, steps are up and grab handle is stored( I have forgotten this more than once), but catch it in my mirrors before pulling out. DW is responsible for inside, toilet seat and lid down, nothing on the counters and drawers latched, always check the fridge to make sure it is latched. There is more, but this gives you a good idea. Set up depends on length of time we will be at a location and what time of day we get in.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
I would recommend printing off your list and have it laminated at Fed Ex Kinko's.

Then read it everytime because as soon as you think you know what you are doing sooner or later mayhem will happen.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
Jayco Owners Club
Using a checklist is always better than not. If not... just when you think you can do all of this on autopilot... you'll forget something and break it.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
I recently added a checkpoint to.close my baothroom door before closing slides. Almost ripped the door off the hinges in this Homer Simpson moment. I felt like an idiot. Luckily I caught it in time when I heard a hideous noise. Check your Floorplan if there are any potential gotchas like that waiting for you to be distracted for a second or two.

2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
franknj is online now   Reply With Quote