Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Valley View Post
We have a 22foot travel trailer and we always drive with the fridge propane ON. On a long 8 hour day, how else can you keep your food cold?!
If you're not trying to keep Ice cream frozen...then frozen 1 gal water jugs make the refer into an "icebox"

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #16

I'm just here in my first camping trip with the travel trailer and it's been crazyyyy
First the heat didn't work ... Well i made it work but not I can't make the water heater work!!!
Any suggestions?
And should I leave the tap water From the city connection open all the time?
How long does the gas tank last?
How often should I drain the gray water? I think is already full
And of course it hasn't stop raining
Thanks for any suggestion in advance!!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #17

Some ideas:

OUR SOLUTION: After having a Chalet pop-up for 3 years and not having any propane related problems, we soon found out that our 'fancier' travel trailer was much more touchy when it came to appliances working on propane.
Here's what we found - in hopes it helps you:
When one 20-lb propane canister emptied (about 7 days), when I switched over to the new tank, I may have opened one of the stove burners in "hopes of getting gas through the gas lines faster". When we did this, almost nothing worked for hours. Only when we gave up, closed the propane tank valve, went to bed after fighting with it and woke up the next morning did it all work ok.
We then searched on-line and found what seems to work:
When you open the propane valve to quickly, there is a shut-off safety valve on the tank that may sense a gas leak and shut off the flow. I think this happen to me because I had a stove burner open when I opened the tankís valve. When this happens, it seemed that closing the valve, and waiting for some time ( we went to bed), reset the safety valve.
So the bottom line, this is what we now do that works.
1. make sure all propane appliances are off.
2. SLOOOwly open one of the propane tank valves ALL THE WAY. Not half way, but slowly open it all the way.
3. Then we light one of the stove burners. You can see all the air in the gas lines since it takes a while for the gas to reach the burner. Thus, if you didnít do this, you could see that the fridge would take forever to empty the air out of the gas lines.
4. Ok, now that the stove burner has been lit for 30 seconds.
5. I then light the fridge.
6. Everything else now works.

Again, we NEVER had this problem with our old pop-up camper. I always opened the gas tank valve quickly and never had a problem.
ALSO, when we took delivery of our new Forest River Salem Cruise-Lite 22RBXL, the dealer told us to NEVER swap out the propane tanks at Home Depot with another tank whose history you donít know.
Just have them filled and keep YOUR tanks forever.
Hope this helps!
Mike
So. Calif
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #18

also

Q: And should I leave the tap water From the city connection open all the time?
A: We turn off the water from the campground valve when we leave camp.

Q: How long does the gas tank last?
A: 20lb (BBQ size) = ~ 7 days.

Q: How often should I drain the gray water? I think is already full
A: If we are in a campground for several days, we don't have to empty our 35 gallon gray water for ~ 4 days if we conserve water.

To make the propane and battery last longer when dry camping, we just purchased a portable propane Buddy heater.
To save propane when having hook-ups, we just purchased a plug in ceramic heater. We haven't used them yet but our rv friends swear by them.
Last summer, we dry camped for ~ 7 days in a National Park and found that the propane furnace REALLY drains the battery.

Good luck friends!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

Thank you
Other problem I have now : the water heater is not working right
We had to take cold showers 
It gets warm and after 2 minutes is cold again
Old 05-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chel View Post
Thank you
How big is your tank?

In two minutes you might be emptying your tank.

Learn to take "Navy" showers
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chel
Thank you
Yeah, my gf runs out of hot water but I don't. Learn to "shower" using less than 6 gallons, that's probably your water heater tank capacity.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chel View Post
...It gets warm and after 2 minutes is cold again
If you have a sprayer on the outside of your RV or in a storage bay, be sure the H/C handles are turned off. If those are left on, even though the sprayer is off, your hot water will mix & you'll get lukewarm or cool showers. Don't ask me how I know this.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chel
Thank you for all the tips
One more question, I was inspecting the TT the other day after a heavy rain and I saw some water on the floor, in the area where the side comes out, or extend ( I forgot the right name)
Is this normal or I have something wrong here?
Thanks again
Do you retract the slide while it was wet? We had the same thing and realized when we were bringing the slide in we were also bringing in the rain! If you must bring it in while wet do it slowly so the water can drain off before it is fully inside.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
REF: Slide Leaking

For whatever it's worth, if your dealer doesn't resolve the slide leak issue, here is what I did with my used Terry TT: I purchased a set of slide locks which took care of the issue. You install these inside the TT between a fixed wall and the side or top of the slide and lock them into place. They are adjustable with detent pins and turn in either direction to lock/unlock. They are also added insurance for your slide not coming out while travelling down the hwy. Just remember to take them out before you try and put out the slide. On our TT, the seal just didn't seal properly at the top and during a hard rain, we had water coming in while the slide was in - the slide locks take care of this by forcing the slide in at the top, thereby making a good seal.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1:When I get to the place I will be camping I connect the sewer hose and then the water connection?

1: Either order, does not matter. However do put a pressure regulator between the park and your rig.. If you are not using a filter put it on the park spigot.. Do not use the cheap sold brass or plastic ones (Save for Camco) use at the minimum the ones with the bright plastic grip on the female end.. Or use a WATTS 1/2 inch or larger with proper adapters. That is the recommended regulator.. Sur-Flo RV regulators work well too.

2:How do I star to use the toilet?
2A: depends on the toilet but with city water you will operate the fill lever,, Just how to do this depends on the unit, ON mine, for example, you LIFT the pedal, on a friends it is one of two levers.

To flush I step on the pedal, he moves BOTH levers.

3:Can I use the toilet if I'm in the road w/o water connection?

3A: Depends. if you have a fresh water supply tank, if you have filled it, if you have a black tank, (If all 3 are correct) then yes, you can.

4: Then when I'm ready to leave the camp site : should I drain everything right?

4A: Right almost, drain everything EXCEPT THE FRESH WATER TANK.

5:The chemicals for toilet/ tank : should I add it to toilet before and after the trip?

5A You sould leave them on the shelf at the dealers.

6:The fridge can not be on while driving right?
6A: much debate, I run with mine on, One factor mine has Direct Spark Ignition thus there is no pilot light to blow out.

7: Are the sewer connections standard ? A: Yes

8: Any hose will fit or I do need an adapter? A: Yes

9: Should I drain the water(grey and black) plus any clean water I got in the trailer if is going to be few weeks store before the next camping trip ?

9A: I drain the black/gray tanks at the end of every campground stay, I did this back when I was part timeing and still do. Fresh it depends.. I kept fresh water in the tank all summer, I only drained it when winterizing, However I kept runing fresh water THROUGH the tank,, That is it was not the same water week after week after week.

10:What else would I need ( beside sewer hose and water pressure regulator)

A really good credit card (joking) seriously you have the basics covered, Extra (extension) hoses and cords are handy, I carry a full range of power adapters (30 to 50 50 to 30 15 to all the above and 30 to 15) just in cuss.

I like to put a support under the sewer hose so it makes a nice "Smooth" trip to the hole in the ground. That is normally optional.

Depending on your system a toilet tank rinsing wand like the RV-Twister (Which is one of only two I recmmend) may be a good idea.

IT may also not be needed.

OH, one caution.. The waste tank level sensors.. They show EMPTY now.

NEVER expect to see that reading again.. Even if you can shine a flashlight down and see the hose hooked to the bottom, The sensors will show "Stuff" in the tanks.

One omre item.. At your RV store or Camping world they have solid plastic 3" hose "Extensions" they have the proper fitting, they also have elbows, half elbows nd the like. MADE OF CLEAR PLASTIC.

Get one, can be an extension or elbow (I use one of each) this way you can visually verify the tank is EMPTY. More than one person has had a "Robin Williams Moment" when he THOUGHT the flow had ceased.. but it had not.

Sorry so many questions but a trailer has more maintenance than a house

Thank you[/QUOTE]