Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

More on the subject of tire wear - explanations, solutions sought, please. The original bias ply Carlisles have maybe 5000 miles on them. Everything was fine until a trip this spring during which severe cupping began suddenly on both edges of all four tires, some worse than others. Before starting the trip I had set cold pressure at 45 - maybe should have gone for recommended max of 50. Axle alignment, wheel bearings, etc. checked OK by dealer. What's going on? Could improper tuning of brake controller cause this? A local tire dealer has cautioned that upgrading to radials might adversely affect handling. Any opinions on that?

Thanks, Richard
RWR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

More on the subject of tire wear - explanations, solutions sought, please. The original bias ply Carlisles have maybe 5000 miles on them. Everything was fine until a trip this spring during which severe cupping began suddenly on both edges of all four tires, some worse than others. Before starting the trip I had set cold pressure at 45 - maybe should have gone for recommended max of 50. Axle alignment, wheel bearings, etc. checked OK by dealer. What's going on? Could improper tuning of brake controller cause this? A local tire dealer has cautioned that upgrading to radials might adversely affect handling. Any opinions on that?

Thanks, Richard
Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RWR4,

Welcome to IRV2.

I have found THIS site helpful re: tire wear.

Hope it helps, keep us posted on how you make out.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #4

If you have had the axle and bearings checked, what about the shocks, if equiped and the balance on the tires/rims. Can't see the air pressure being the problem with the wear your reporting even though wear on both outside edges would indicate that. The 5 psi wouldn't have caused the cupping without something else possbily happening. Have you had your trailer weighed. Likewise with the brake controller. If set to low, can't stop. If to high, smoking the tires leaving those nasty flat spots.

I have been running radials on two 5th wheels and a 14ft construction trailer and haven't had a problem. Important thing is to match the load range and correct size to your trailer.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #5

You might want to read the Carlisle Tire Warranty closely. It says if their tires are not inflated to sidewall maximum the warranty is voided.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #6

Though you say the dealer checked the alignment, with cupping on all 4 tires, I'd still suspect the trailer is out of alignment. (I didn't think very many RV dealers had the equipment to do trailer alignment).

I'd take it to a shop that specializes in trailers and have them check it.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I need to take the trailer to the dealer where I bought it for a water leak around the AC. While there I will get a weight and a second alignment check and some opinions from them. I had read the Carlisle papers after-the-fact and saw the instruction to run at max pres. This was not intuitive from my experience with other types of vehicles.

Something else I noticed after-the-fact in rereading the brake controller manual was a caution to not jack a trailer on an axle. Interesting that the trailer manufacturer did not give this same warning. Another thing of possible significance was the thirty or so miles we drove between Baton Rouge and Houston on I-10 where there was continuous construction and terrible road condition. It just beat the crap out of the trailer. Things left where I was sure they would stay put were all over the floor. However, there was no visible sign of damage to the running gear.

The one alignment check I could make myself was to measure the distance between the two axles at either end. The spacing was equal to within a hair's breadth. I guess you could bend an axle in such a way that it would pass the spacing test but nevertheless have wheels not all parallel. But to create a toein or toeout you would have to bend the axle in the forward or rearward direction, not the direction a jack would bend.

Maybe this was just a quirk of circumstances never to be repeated. On the other hand, a friend often said, "Problems that go away by themselves tend to come back by themselves".

Thanks again, Richard
Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #8

Richard, this may not be connected to your tire issue, but this Goodyear RV tire care pdf says all RV tires should be balanced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote