Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Severe water damage on slide floor

Just discovered some very severe water damage on the slide floor of my 03 sunline. The area under the dinette is completely rotted. Although I haven’t torn it apart yet, I’m assuming that the rot will extend up into the walls as well. Would I be correct in thinking that the best way to handle this would be to pull the slide out of the camper? That way I can get it in my garage and work on it, and I can also check the camper itself for damage. How much should a 10-12 slide out weigh? Could 4 guys pull it out and get it on a trailer?
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

You will need a fork lift to move it out. Think 6 sheets of half inch plywood, plus carpet or flooring material, plus window, plus,plus,plus. Well you get the picture. Rent a fork lift. I suppose it might be possible to build a platform and winch it out of the trailer onto the platform. Of coirse tou would then need to move it away from the trailer so you could work on it. Please rent a fork lift.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You will need a fork lift to move it out. Think 6 sheets of half inch plywood, plus carpet or flooring material, plus window, plus,plus,plus. Well you get the picture. Rent a fork lift. I suppose it might be possible to build a platform and winch it out of the trailer onto the platform. Of coirse tou would then need to move it away from the trailer so you could work on it. Please rent a fork lift.
Let’s say that renting equipment is not an option due to where the camper is (on a permanent site at our campground and not able to be moved easily, with someone else’s deck 3 feet behind the slide) as well as financial considerations. Any guesses on the actual weight of the slide out?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

No, I do not think 4 guys could lift a slide-out. Even if they could, transitioning it from being attached to the trailer to not attached would be extremely difficult without mechanical equipment.

I'd rent a forklift or take the trailer to a dealer. I do not think a manual lifting plan is a good idea at all.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

Something to think about is the condition of the slideout. It may not have any structural strength at all and a forklift may be the last straw. Also water is heavy and if the whole bottom is saturated it may be very heavy. Find someone with experience with this type of problem :(
Varago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Maybe a very heavy duty table with wheels? If it would fit just under the slide with 6-8 guys??? Just trying to think of a cheap way.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #7

Post a picture of the slide out. I replaced the floor under my slide fairly easy. I did not have to remove. I simply blocked it up cut out floor then slid in new marine grade 3/4 plywood. Painted it first then after installed I sealed with flex seal. Several coats.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

This is on a Class A motorhome. Your may be less involved

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Post a picture of the slide out. I replaced the floor under my slide fairly easy. I did not have to remove. I simply blocked it up cut out floor then slid in new marine grade 3/4 plywood. Painted it first then after installed I sealed with flex seal. Several coats.
Did you have to replace the entire floor? Or only part of it? The first thing I need to do is get it gutted. Pull the dinette and get rid of it since it’s damaged as well. pull the carpet and the paneling. Strip it down to the studs and see what I’m working with and where the water is coming in. I think I’ve switched gears to trying to fix it without removing it, as I was told removing the slide is about the most miserable thing you can do on an RV
Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

I replaced the entire floor. Mine has a couch over carpet.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

I crawled under the camper today and noticed that the arms have another 10-12 inches of extension after the slide is in the fully extended position. I was wondering if I could remove the lip and “overextend” the slide so it clears the trailer. Should make access to the floor much easier. Also would allow inspection/repair of any damage on the trailer side as well.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #12

I really do not know the slide type of your camper and I see that you never sent or posted any pics, was that being said block those arms solidly before you attempt to do as you are going to do and realize that when you overextend you'll be more applying more pressure to those arms make sure you block things well I can't help any better than that wish you the best Dusty
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 12 foot slide most likely is over 1000 lbs. Not anything 4 guys can lift.

You are constrained for space. Either a platform with wheels, or gut it and loose the weight as much a possible. Rent some portable camper jacks to help lower it to the ground or table.
Don't forget to find the source of the leak. Most likely the roof or slide seals.
Best of luck with this.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I really do not know the slide type of your camper and I see that you never sent or posted any pics, was that being said block those arms solidly before you attempt to do as you are going to do and realize that when you overextend you'll be more applying more pressure to those arms make sure you block things well I can't help any better than that wish you the best Dusty
Just got out to the campground today and got a few pics of the slide. Measured it and it’s about 12’6”. Not sure why the pics are sideways. If you look at the 3rd pic you can see the visible part of the damage. The floor is a sheet of plywood wrapped in some sort of tarp-like material. The wood has gotten so wet it has turned to mush inside the covering and is sagging badly in the middle. I also have similar damage ath the other end of the slide, although not as bad. Working theory is that the windows at either end of the slide leaked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF7A9234-C969-4EA5-93E2-BB1B19A37FDA.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	200109   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E0C27FC-E831-4B3D-A60E-9F3BB2473E65.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	200110  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3424A517-7E04-45C6-92BF-86BB860C786B.jpg