Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #1

Sewer hook up backing up

We are new to RVing and ran into an issue with the sewer hookups that I hadn't experienced before, so I figured I would check here to make sure I didn't do something wrong and just got lucky previously. When I went to drain the tanks the water flowed down the hose too fast for the sewer hook up at the camp site to handle. I have two gray tanks and was draining the kitchen tank first (thank god!) when I discovered there was a problem. Normally I would have drained the black before both gray but I was letting my 9 year old son help out and hook everything up (which I doubled checked before we started the draining process) and thought training on the kitchen gray tank was the better bet.

I use a Rhino flex hose and a sidewinder hose support. We hooked the hose to the trailer, ran it down the sidewinder, and put the fitting into the sewer hookup. Since I had my 9 year old helping, I (with gloves on) was still holding/checking the fitting when he opened the tank valve. After about 30 seconds of draining, the fitting started pushing back out of the sewer outlet. I tried to hold it in place but quickly realized it wasn't going to work. Gray water started to leak out. I had my son shut the valve and let the hose drain. I checked the fitting to make sure it was on tight and put it back into the sewer. Joe opened the valve again and less than a minute in, we had the same issue. In the end, we drained all three tanks but with having to close the valve every 30 seconds to let the hose drain.

Fortunately this was only a weekend trip and there wasn't any solids to deal with but now I'm scratching my head wondering if I did something wrong or if this campsite had a questionable sewer hookup. This was only our 4th time out.
colorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #2

Sounds like a campground issue....sometimes “stuff” gets stuck in the system. You may have wanted to let the campground office know that there was a blockage in their system....at least, that’s what it sounds like from what you’ve described.
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetravelkids View Post
Sounds like a campground issue....sometimes “stuff” gets stuck in the system. You may have wanted to let the campground office know that there was a blockage in their system....at least, that’s what it sounds like from what you’ve described.
I agree, a campground problem. We had the same problem in a KOA in PA. I told the office that there was a problem and asked to be moved to another site. They said campground systems are not made for "dumping", just for normal periodic usage. They specifically said "flushing toilets" in the RV. They didn't have a clue about not leaving the black tank open! Our sewer outlet ended up overflowing all over the place when a trailer pulled in next door and the owner "dumped" his black and grey tank. I informed the office, and they said I would have to pay to have "my spill" cleaned up. I said fine, but first can I use your phone to call the County Health Department to report the spill and then THEY can ascertain who was at fault, and at the same time they might want to query other campers and see if anyone else is having problems and then maybe revisit the campground's sewage permit . . . They said, "On second thought, we'll sent some people out right away to clean up your site and you can move to any open site!" . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
most likely the campground had issues.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. Campground issue. As you did, its always good to watch that all is working as it should instead of just yanking the valve open and walking away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

I agree, campground issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

I'm going to send them a note letting them know. Thank you for the feedback.
colorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote