Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #15

At a full hookup site in Packwood, WA, the hole in the ground (once cap was removed) had dozens of little black flies/gnats awaiting something! Didn't like idea of them going exploring up the hose and finding their way into my gray tank so I kept it closed off until it was rather full......

ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #16

Sewer hooked up at campground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcan View Post
We are on our first voyage with our TT, in a KOA CG. This is all new to us, so I have questions ....

I see many people leave their sewer hose plugged in to the ground pipe the whole time they are here..... Is that the accepted practice?

Are they leaving the dump valves open so that everything - grey and black, just goes directly into the CG sewer system?

I thought I had read that it is better to keep some grey water to flush out the black with later?

Thanks!

No one said it yet and I know this was your first trip so if you haven't it will make this deed a lot more pleasant for you and your neighbors if your using black water treatments to break down the waste and control the smell (some what) also for your tanks

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab

rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbleau6885 View Post
No one said it yet and I know this was your first trip so if you haven't it will make this deed a lot more pleasant for you and your neighbors if your using black water treatments to break down the waste and control the smell (some what) also for your tanks

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss

What should I be using? Sny particular brand you recommend?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442507075.981005.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  73.3 KB

Switched to Happy Camper a few years ago, very pleased with the product.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #19

No real need to use any chemicals unless the weather is very hot and you only dump occasionally.

Sewer flies generally breed in grey water traps.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #20

I would leave both valves closed until I'm ready to dump. When hooked up to a sewer I would not leave the grey tank valve open, if it is closed it prevents sewer gas from reentering the RV plus there are animals and reptiles that frequent sewers and I wouldn't want to meet any of them by chance.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #21

For black tank build up add a bag of ice to black tank via toilet and drive. Hose connections I use duct tape to insure they won't come loose during dumping.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #22

Sewer hooked up at campground?

Quote:

I use Walex bio-pak comes in a couple different scents and I've been trying out the new oxy stuff. I always put one In after dumping sometimes 2. I wouldn't listen to anyone who says no need to use Chemicals as there the ones who sticks everyone out of the campgrounds. It breaks down the waste controls smell and helps keeps sensors clean. Once in a while I dump detergent down the toilet if the sensors act funny this clears it right up after letting it sit and flushing the tank a few times. For my grey tanks I use pine sol

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After 2 years of fulltiming, we have no smells, not even standing next to the drain. We use the "GEO" method. after dumping the black tank, we add 1 cup of liquid softener, 1 cup of bleach, and 1/2 cup of dawn. The softener keeps everything slippery in there.
The cost is next to nothing, and a lot less chemicals go into the campground drains. When we are at campgrounds for more than a week we leave the grey tank drain open. Even if "sewer flies" did somehow get into the grey tank, they can't fly up through your water traps.
The one thing you should have is a rubber collar on the end of your drain pipes to prevent leaks and smells outside.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaving hoses hooked up all the time: Yes, that is accepted. Epically if your hoses seal (Screw in or other form of seal) I do this, most everyone else as well. I mean if you are sticking around a while why hook up hoses EVERY TIME YOU DUMP when you do not need to? Just leave 'em hooked up full time.

Leaving valves open... I accidently did that one time here where I'm stuck.

Ever see the RV mag where they have the photo of the stinky RV, Others avoiding it.. And the ad says "Just buy our useless product and put it in your tank and this problem will be solved" (ok I edited that a bit).

Well.. That is what happened.. Soon as I closed the vaLve.. Problem went away.. SO I keep them closed (Less I forget again)

So how much work does this save me (leaving hoses hooked up).
Tuesday I went to a pot luck. Everything tasted good, Did not notice that I picked up a "Friend' though.. Sal.. Yup, Sal came home with me, Who's Sal.. Well he's no friend I can tell you that.. Salmonilla.

Thankfully Eariler this month I put up a storage cabinet and took all the stuff I had stored on top of the main toilet in this bath and a half model and put it in the cabinet.. Thus giving access to the more comfortable "Throne" Sadly it's a macerator so it uses a lot of water every flush.> Tankjs are 36 gallon.. i've been dumping daily since. That's a lot of hooking up and unhooking of hoses if I did not leave 'em hooked full time.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #25

One of my most useful mods. to our TT has been adding a Tornado flushing system to the black water tank. It is amazing what it will flush out of the tank after you drain it and think it is clean. The random angle spraying is cleaning the sides of the tank and loosens deposits inside.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To.../dp/B000BUU5TU
Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding opening the Gray for a few gallons first....

Had seveal "Disasters" that were not DISASTERS cause I did that.. Hose came off coupler, Copuler not fully locked on, that kind of thing.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #27

Always check at least twice!

While hooking up the slinky my last time, for some reason I paused before pulling the black valve....Thank goodness. Somehow only 2 of the 4 "hooks" had engaged and there was a noticeable gap on the bottom side! It wouldn't have been pretty if I had just popped the valve! I will forever more take my time in hooking up! Still much faster than having to clean up a nasty mess!!!

P.S. I also carry a couple extra gaskets for down there! They sometimes fall off!
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #28

Thanks for the tip! We'll need to dump soon, and I'll try to remember to drain a bit of the grey first.

We have fairly large tanks, and easily go a week or more without dumping. If we're going to be in one spot for a couple of weeks and I'm feeling lazy I will leave the hose out. Otherwise, it is just as easy for me to hook it up, dump, and put it back. That way I can't forget it.

kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground