Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have an assortement.... But will give you the history
My Rig is a 2005, of course a hunk of junk sewer hose was included free from the dealer (Part of their starter pack) Believe it or not, that is the hose that I'm currently using (it is EXACTLY the length I need)

Have wore out two Rino-Flex,, not really that impressed by them

have a Camco self-storing hose (20 foot) this one comes in a plastic sleeve.

Have an "extension" hose this is either RED or ORANGE, it is a heavy duty sold at Camping world.. Rarley use it

Have a Tethford Smart hose. This is one I got last fall/winter and it is the hose I like best, though some others report issues with the cam-lock fittings. But I'm Impressed with it.

Storage

My gasser has a serious "Cut" to the back (The angle it angles up) and I bolted both a six inch PVC pipe and a 7" Square fence post up there.. Fence post holds the smart hose, Pipe held the original, extension plus a 15 foot Rino when I used the Rino.

I am revising an old topic, true, but... I have the SmartDrain and, though the hose and fittings seem ok the dump adapter gasket is garbage. Is yours made from flimsy soft foam? I had one disappear and the new one tore before I connected to the drain . Have you had problems with the gaskets?

I have contacted a gasket company. I hope to get a better replacement. Monday I will call Thetford.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HAVE worn out 2 Rino Flex, currently trying a "Smart Hose" from Valterry, mixed revews but mine has been good so far. Store it in a fence post strapped to the frame.

I DO NOT LIKE THE SEWER SOLUTION since it uses too much precious fresh water to do the job a few watts of electricity can do better (Google Macerator Pumps) For long distance dumps I use a Flo-Jet portable with a 3/4 inch BLACK garden hose.. (Black hose Black water, care to guess what the GRAY hose is for? (Gray Tank #2)

Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
HAVE worn out 2 Rino Flex, currently trying a "Smart Hose" from Valterry, mixed revews but mine has been good so far. Store it in a fence post strapped to the frame.

I DO NOT LIKE THE SEWER SOLUTION since it uses too much precious fresh water to do the job a few watts of electricity can do better (Google Macerator Pumps) For long distance dumps I use a Flo-Jet portable with a 3/4 inch BLACK garden hose.. (Black hose Black water, care to guess what the GRAY hose is for? (Gray Tank #2)
I looked at the Valterra website and didn't see that hose. Smart Hose seems to be a catch phrase for a great range of hoses. I didn't see what you are using.

I, too, use a maceration pump at times. As far as water wasting is concerned, this is true. Many states don't allow poo burners so it would stand to reason the the rv manufactures would avoid such contraptions. What we have is what we have.

We don't dry dock often. The overnighter at a truck stop, Walmart or rest area is about all we do. Water and drainage is just a day or two away. Keeping that big black snake in tact is the bigger problem. I hope, with a good gasket, this hose system I am using will work longer than all of the others I have tried.

I'll post here if I get a gasket solution.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 14 ft TT leaves little room for storage.

I have the Camco Rhino Flex RV sewer kit - 15ft hose, locking rings, swivel clear elbow, universal adaptor, swivel bayonet fitting, locking caps.

It is stored with Goop hand cleaner and plastic gloves in a Bella underbed container with wheels purchased from Family Dollar. I can store it under the TT when we are camping, and in the shower stall when underway. I have two other Bella underbed containers -one for the water hoses and one for the 30 amp electric cord.

Also have the Camco Sidewinder sewer support stored in the original box in the small storage cubby as I have only needed it once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella storage.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	79108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer tote.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	79109  

Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
Our 14 ft TT leaves little room for storage.

I have the Camco Rhino Flex RV sewer kit - 15ft hose, locking rings, swivel clear elbow, universal adaptor, swivel bayonet fitting, locking caps.

It is stored with Goop hand cleaner and plastic gloves in a Bella underbed container with wheels purchased from Family Dollar. I can store it under the TT when we are camping, and in the shower stall when underway. I have two other Bella underbed containers -one for the water hoses and one for the 30 amp electric cord.

Also have the Camco Sidewinder sewer support stored in the original box in the small storage cubby as I have only needed it once.
. Good way to make your limited space more functional and sanitary. Storage bins are a common practice for us. I don't see the need for the wheels though. For me they just take up room and serve no real purpose. Besides, when the coach is on the go we don't want our stowed items going their own way .

When I started this thread I was frustrated with the dump hose problem in general. I hope the new adapter makes my 'new' hose functional. The SmartDrain is rugged and doesn't collapse as well for stowing but I have room for it. My goal, when I bought it, was to stop replacing hoses every 6 mo to a year. That practice is getting expensive. Even if I repair the leak a new one develops soon because the hose is deteriorating. Thetford says this hose should last a long time. As of this moment I can understand the truth in this statement. If it can't be used it can't be fatigued to failure.

I hope the new adapter is here Monday. More story to follow. time.

Rick Y
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #20

I have seen many trailers store hoses in a 4" pvc pipe that is strapped index the trailer or under the back bumper. Most trailers have square rear bumpers made for hoses. I drill a hole thru the end with a clip made of a metal coat hangar.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Being a coach I don't have that option. I often wish I did. It just seems so much more sanitary than storing the dump hose in the same bay as the potable water access.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I have been using the Thetford SmartDrain for a while now. I AM NOT IMPRESSED!

On the first two coach couplings, the original and the new one in the replacement kit I was sent, the gasket was sucked out of the connector. Great design. The last coupler they sent me has a slightly firmer glue and gasket (I think) than the original. On the very first dump black water gushed momentarily from the fitting. Has done the same thing each and every time I dump. Totally unsanitary!

My advise is to avoid the Thetford SmartDrain system. It simply is not fit to use. (How CW web store can rate it so high is a mystery to me.)

Rick Y.