Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

Shadow Cruiser 240BHS or Passport 2400BHS

Thoughts on the shadow cruiser? We were able to see the passport in person and really liked it. The shadow cruiser looks great online but is a 2 hour drive from our home to see in person. We are wondering if it's worth the drive. Input on both would be great if you have any experience with either of them.
Mariavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

We have a shadow cruiser 280qbs. We love it! But, we've only had it a couple of months and spent 6 nights in it so far.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #3

I've owned 2 Passports and loved them both. Check out the Keystone RV forum. Lots of people there with the 2400BHS. Let us know what you decide.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

We purchased a 2016 Passport 2400BH last year, and we love it! This is our first travel trailer. When we were looking for a travel trailer we were limited by the weight due to having an older (1997) Ford F-150. We went with the Passport 2400BH because the weight of the trailer hit the mark for us. Sadly the Ford needed a new header towards the end of last year due to the rust issues of the 1997 Ford F-150 XLT models. We didn't get the header repaired due to the cost, so we purchased a 2016 Chevy 2500HD....Most new-ish 1/2 ton trucks can pull up to 9,000. We only had two minor issues with our Passport 2400BH. One, Black tank flush valve leaked under the bathroom sink, and the window by the kitchen sink had to be replaced due to the track being bent when it come from the factory. Our dealership are rock stars, and fixed everything for us! Having a good dealership is more important then the trailer purchase itself... Having said that Keystone Passport models are geared towards cutting weight at all cost. For example, they use sticker wrap & staples for their cabinets instead of using plywood box construction. Also, Passports use T-molded counter tops instead of solid surface counter tops. T-molded counter tops can get water between the "T", and the counter top can swell up. The outside Kitchen of the Passport 2400BH has T-molded counter tops as well. If camping in the summer time that could swell as well though we haven't had an issue so far. If you clean water off of the counter top quickly it shouldn't be an issue!

From what I can tell the Shadow's 240bhs weights a little bit more, and around 1,000 more in price. Also, it appears the Shadow 240BHS has solid surface counter tops, and plywood construction cabinets from the pictures online. Also,the bathroom has extra storage, and a bigger shower. Bigger shower is also a a very good thing to have!

If we were able to do it again with weight not being an issue we would have went with the Shadow 240BHS. I think the Shadow will hold up more over time. I don't know of anybody personally that owns a Shadow Model or Cruiser RV..

Don't get me wrong we love our Passport, and I would buy a Keystone again in a heartbeat.

Also, Keystone has a mid year upgrade for 2017 on some of their Passport models. The Passport 2400BH have been upgraded from front queen bed to a front Full King sized bed.

Hope this information helps you out.
josh409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I owned a Shadow Cruiser as my first TT, and it was a good trailer. Very good (but very unhandy) friend owned a Passoprt until last year. I worked on and cussed his Passport way more than all 3 TT's I've owned. He got a new Jayco Eagle TT last year and we haven't had to do anything other than VERY minor cosmetic stuff to it. On the strength of that I got a new White Hawk, myself... and I'm very happy. Given your choice I'd go with the Shadow Cruiser.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I owned a Shadow Cruiser as my first TT, and it was a good trailer. Very good (but very unhandy) friend owned a Passoprt until last year. I worked on and cussed his Passport way more than all 3 TT's I've owned. He got a new Jayco Eagle TT last year and we haven't had to do anything other than VERY minor cosmetic stuff to it. On the strength of that I got a new White Hawk, myself... and I'm very happy. Given your choice I'd go with the Shadow Cruiser.

What issues did the Passport have? I have owned 2 and had no real issues with either.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
What issues did the Passport have? I have owned 2 and had no real issues with either.
Many wiring and plumbing issues, and we had to replace a section of floor that was just not installed properly. I repaired a section of sidewall that had delaminated with polyurethane glue and a vacuum pump. It appeared not to be water damage, just a dry spot in their gluing process. No rotten wood came out, but no dry glue came out, either. I drilled a 1/2" hole from the inside so I had enough material to take a good look at. Injected PU glue and applied vacuum...

Those are the things I remember.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

I could be wrong here, but Keystone Travel Trailers possibly the Passport line suffered from quality issues for many years sometime ago. I am not sure of the exact years they had quality issues. It's my understanding they have corrected such issues in the last five to seven years, and they have FAR more less quality issues than ever before. As with any big purchase there is a, "chance" of "something" not being right such as a new car, or new home.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Happy Passport owner here. Would not think twice of buying another.
I have the 2670BH, basically identical floorplan to the 2400BH besides having a couple extra feet for a couch and an extra pantry. We debated quite a bit between the two. We decided we needed the extra couple feet and seating area with a growing family since the weight difference between the two was fairly negligible.
I solved the counter top problem discussed earlier by pulling the trim off the edge, running a bead of bathroom silicone down the edge and then reinstalling the trim. Easy fix that should last the life of the camper, I don't need the added expense (or weight) in a camper of solid surface countertops.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
I solved the counter top problem discussed earlier by pulling the trim off the edge, running a bead of bathroom silicone down the edge and then reinstalling the trim. Easy fix that should last the life of the camper, I don't need the added expense (or weight) in a camper of solid surface countertops.
Great idea!!! Didn't even think about that!! Thanks for the information.. We are a happy Passport owners as well I was giving the OP pros & cons of both models in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #11

Thank you for all of the feedback. We took a different route and bought a Coleman lite 2405bh, which is made by Keystone/Dutchman. Hopefully it has similar quality as both the Passport and Shadow Cruiser.
Mariavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariavant View Post
Thank you for all of the feedback. We took a different route and bought a Coleman lite 2405bh, which is made by Keystone/Dutchman. Hopefully it has similar quality as both the Passport and Shadow Cruiser.

Coleman has some nice rigs. Glad you found something that fits your needs. Now, It's time to get out there and enjoy it. Don't forget the marshmallows.