Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Shaky TT

I have a new TT and it shakes a lot when entering or walking around. I know I can't get rid of all the shaking but right now it is too much. My wife sleeps in the bedroom and I sleep on the couch and everytime we move in our beds the other feels it. I have read that the universal stablizers help a lot and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about them,
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Make sure that the wheel chokes and knock hard under the wheels. Extra stand jack help Placed either side of the wheel Camco sell a set of 4 for $30. The other place to remove the shaking is at the front Jack. I raise the front of my camper so it slightly high at the front then lower it back down to level resting the frame on blocks or two of the above jacks with a piece of wood under the V. Once that is down lower the rear jacks then the front.
Also place blocks under the stabilizer jacks you reduce to reduce how far they are opened.
I hope this helps.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

I learned after 2 seasons of camping that no matter what I put under the RV it will never be like the house. After some time you will get used to it.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Use the stabilizers, mine came with two on the back and I installed 2 on the front also as the front jack is not stable enough.
I bought my two fro Harborfreight.com and each came with a handle so I have a spare
just in case. Remember stabilizers are for that stabilizing only, and not to raise or level the TT.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

I use the universal stabilizers on our 35' Sprinter TT, 3 of them, and they make a big difference. As the others said chock the tires tight and then place the stabilizers in strategic places under the frame. You may have to experiment putting them in different spots to see which works the best. Since we went to a larger trailer I may add a fourth one to really sturdy it up. Here's what I use.
Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

Shaky TT

The x chocks for the wheels realy take a lot out I have electric stabilizers and ones for my slide room and mines pretty solid. Also what did you do that you have to sleep on the couch
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

If you slept in the same bed you wouldn't notice the wiggle.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

We had the same issue until we purchased the X Chock. It seem
to fix 95% of the issue for us.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If you slept in the same bed you wouldn't notice the wiggle.

Or maybe he would!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My dog weighs 120 pounds. When he flops it's about a 4.2 quake and there is nothing going to stop that.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:05 AM   #11

Stabilizers front and rear, x-chocks and maybe an extra set of stabilizers mid-frame if needed.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #12

Xchocks helped us a lot. But with 4 kids the shaking never stops. We have grown accustomed to it over the last two years.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just remove the wheels and set the frame on concrete blocks,,,, lol.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I have a new TT and it shakes a lot when entering or walking around. I know I can't get rid of all the shaking but right now it is too much. My wife sleeps in the bedroom and I sleep on the couch and everytime we move in our beds the other feels it. I have read that the universal stablizers help a lot and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about them,
LOL We had the same issue with our 31' Keystone Springdale. We would just about get seasick in it. It drove me nutz! There is a guy local to me who builds a really good stabilizer setup called "Steadyfast". I went down and spoke with him and he gave me some pointers on getting more stability with the trailer.

A 31' TT is a long trailer and built pretty light weight these days. He told me to think of it as a bridge. The bridge supports are at the ends (jacks) and a lot of space between those supports. If you move the supports inboard the span is a lot less.

Now you may or not be able to do this on all trailers, but I moved my front and rear jacks towards the center of the trailer about 18". I also added a third set of jacks just in front of the front tire. I have all scissor jacks on mine. This was a good thing as my jacks were mounted too low anyway and the rear jacks would get close to hitting on curbs ETC. The fronts were mounted on the rear of the hitch a frame and the rears were mounted on the bumper support frame. So the jacks got moved in 18" and raised about 5-6 inches.

I then installed the "Steadyfast" system. It uses 2 struts on one of the front jacks to anchor the front of the trailer. And one strut on the rear to keep the rear from moving side to side.

I also built 4 large 10" X 16" X 3" wood pads for the corner jacks to sit on. The pads for the center jacks and the tongue jack are a bit smaller.

It isn't like my house, but it is a 100% improvement over what it was. Don't need to take Dramamine to watch TV anymore.

Steadyfast link: http://tinyurl.com/zjel3se

Video of what it is. I met with this guy. He knows what is what with trailer shake.

https://youtu.be/2Hd7QxA6FIs
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote