Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Sherline Tongue Weight Scale

Has anyone that has used a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale compared the weight from the scale to the weight you get from weighing the TT and truck on a CAT Scale?

I used the Sherline today to get a loaded tongue weight, and it was a little lower than I expected. It was about 75 lbs lower than the dry wt. My TT is a rear kitchen and I'm thinking it's like a toy hauler with the center of gravity shifted forward to account the weight of the pots, pans, food etc. so when load the tongue wt. drops. I won't get the chance to weigh on a CAT scale for a while.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

We have a rear kitchen but the tongue weight as determined from going to a scale was nearly double the factory dry tongue weight. I doubt yours would be less than the dry wt.

This thread from the FR site may help. Seems like you need to get the Sherline to settle before it's reading properly. I seem to recall reading this elsewhere too.

Accuracy of the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - Forest River Forums

This may also help:

http://http://www.rv.net/forum/index...print/true.cfm

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

I have the Sherline 2000 lb scale so I'm right in the middle of the range. I weighed it 4 times and shifted load around to try different configurations. My fresh water tank is between the kitchen and axles. When I filled the tank the tongue weight dropped just as I expected. Toy haulers are designed with more weight on the tongue when the garage is empty to compensate for weight behind the axles when loaded. Kitchen items, pots. pans, and food are some of the heaviest items carried so it makes sense that would be taken into account in the design and location of the center of gravity for a rear kitchen. At least as an engineer myself that is what I would do, but of course there is no guarantee the TT engineers did it that way.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

Who really knows how they design these things? It's beyond reasoning sometimes.

Our fresh water is at the front of the trailer just behind the A-frame. Our tongue wt. is nearly 15% with all 4 tanks empty. I hate to think what would happen to the tongue wt. if we filled the fresh water tank right up. But we are just 200 lbs away from the GVWR and filling the fresh tank right up would overload the TT. We're not into dry camping so won't have to worry about it. Not sure what kind of an engineer would design it this way. Unfortunately, most of the time you don't find this out until you've bought the TT.

I've read a lot that some say to shift the cargo/load around to balance the weight distribution out. But I don't see this can be accomplished. Kitchen stuff needs to go into the kitchen. It's not practical to put all your canned goods up front in the bedroom. Seems to me most of the heavy stuff inside (cargo) is kitchen related - food, dishes, toaster, cutlery, etc. In the case of our TT with a rear kitchen, I don't want to take weight out of the kitchen otherwise the tongue wt. is going to be over 15%. I can't see moving anything of weight around other than maybe a few cases of water or pop but there's just no other place than the kitchen, at least in ours. Maybe this is just an urban myth.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

I read your post about the problems you're having with your rear kitchen. It sure made me concerned about mine. I have only towed it 3 times so far, but one of those was 300 miles with the last 100 over one of the roughest stretches of highway n the country, I-35 in Oklahoma, but haven't had any problems yet. There was no sign of the bounce on the rear like you are getting. Right now I use it mostly for living in while at work so it stays put most of the time. I have a Freedom Express 305RKS. I weighed it dry, and it was almost exactly the manufacturers numbers 6850 GVW and 871 tongue wt. I will weigh it loaded next time I tow it. I am also pushing my trucks limits. My TV is an F-150 Ecoboost. I had intended to get a smaller TT. One in the range of 5500 lbs and 25 ft, but let my wife talk me into one I knew would be almost too much for my truck. I feel fairly confident about the tongue weight I got with the Sherline, but I definitely have to be careful about how I load it. My TV GCVWR is 15200 and GVRW 7200. The loaded weight of the truck is 6150 (that's full tank, my wife, me, and the usual things I carry). I got a tongue wt yesterday of about 850, and I've weighed everything I have added since I weighed the TT empty. My TT weight is about 7700. So my GCVW is about 13800. So I have a some room there, but payload is more of a concern. Remaining payload for the TV is 1050. With 850 tongue wt. and a 95 lb WDH I only have 100 lbs left over.

Tags
weight