Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

Shock kits on a TT

Hello all Is it possible to put shocks on a tt? also what about installing dexter rubber suspension equalizer or moride with shock? And last where would i find this type set up and would this type set up work/ride well? Thank you all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 04:46 AM   #2

Google "trailer shock kit" and take your choice. Monroe no longer makes the kit, just the shocks. The rubber type equalizers are a good idea, with or without shocks. All travel trailers should have shocks IMO.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #3

Thank you. I also believe the should be standard on all trailers.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

I've been mildly interested for years, but haven't seen any obvious benefit. All the stuff stays in the cabinets in my rear kitchen TT.
Perhaps you would share why you think they would be beneficial.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had hoped that my trailer would have shock absorbers, but it didn't come with them, and didn't have tabs on the frame to mount them. I thought I would think I needed them, but decided to give it a try first.

I now don't think I need them.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #6

After buying our Winnebago Minnie, I asked the folks at Winnebago about installing shocks on our trailer. But, they responded that it wouldn't be necessary with the Equa-Flex suspension system that is used on Winnebago trailers. Since then, I haven't felt the need to install shocks, but I'd certainly like to hear from anyone that has installed shocks on a trailer with the Equa-Flex system.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Equa-Flex is a rubber cushion, not shock absorbers. Shocks, or more correctly dampers, control the rebound of a compressed suspension spring. If you care to control this motion, add shocks. If you want to believe that a small chunk of rubber is a substitute, then believe the dealer.

Yes, I installed shocks with the Equa-Flex.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Equa-Flex is a rubber cushion, not shock absorbers. Shocks, or more correctly dampers, control the rebound of a compressed suspension spring. If you care to control this motion, add shocks. If you want to believe that a small chunk of rubber is a substitute, then believe the dealer.

Yes, I installed shocks with the Equa-Flex.
First of all, I only reported what Winnebago had to say....I didn't imply or intend to imply that the Equa-Flex is as good or better than having shocks. I haven't pursued getting shocks because I haven't had any problems towing without them, and didn't have shocks on our previous trailer which we purchased back in 2002. But I would consider having shocks installed on our trailer if I felt it would be worth the expense.

Did you install the shocks yourself or have someone do it? Did the Equa-Flex suspension create any problems to the installation? Thanks for any information you can provide.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

I made my own shock mounts. With the slide drive shaft in the way, I had to mount the shocks inboard. In the photo, you will see that the Equa-Flex does not interfere in any way.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P4130008.jpg

Since trailers aren't occupied while driving, there is no way of knowing how bad the trailer is rebounding on every bump. Any occupied vehicle has the suspension dampened.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on roads too.

We never thought about shocks till we drove from LA area to Tuscon. That conrete jointed pavement set up the worst vibration in our TT - everytime we stopped drawers were open and stuff wass totally shook. Typically we don't have issues like that.
I just ordered the lippert kit @ $108 per axle kit I think it will be worth it to damp the suspension a bit.
We have a new grandson in Tuscon - so probably make that trip more often now!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

Did you add the equa flex to your Minnie? Mine does not have it installed (2016 2401RG).
Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

I have a 2011 Passport 238ML that I bought last fall and traveled to FL and AZ, then back to VT. I had to look in mirror all the time for 18 wheelers. This summer I replaced the equalizers and whoa what a difference over all. I found that I no longer need to be looking in my mirror for 18 wheelers on my trip from VT to AZ last month. I have bought a shock kit but not installed yet.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #13

Thank you all. I think i will install equaflex and shocks on the ole trailer.From what i have seen here it surly cant hurt.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #14

I've had OE trailer shocks and trailers without. I really can't tell the difference, but agree, can't hurt.