Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Originally Posted by CWA View Post

I own a 33ft Cougar X-lite 29RBK. It is a TT, not a 5th wheel. At its maximum it can weigh 8200 lbs. There seems to be a bit of confusion. I have decided to wait with the TT in the drive until I can determine the actual needs. Thank you all for your input.

You will be fine with any 3/4 ton truck. I'd get a diesel for better mpg and pulling power. Good luck!

MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I would choose one the diesels for sure. You may want to take some longer trips down the road and I think they would work out much better for you. Good Luck and happy shopping.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Some of the 5.3 Tahoes with the tow package are rated for over 8000 lb, per GM. You can certainly find a better tow vehcle for your new trailer, but the tahoe should handle it OK as long as you pack light. If you are going to have a full car and a full trailer it willbe overloaded. I do not like the diesels, I am sure they tow better when they actually run,and do not go into reduced power mode because of some minor problem. Perhaps I know them too well, and familiarity has bred contempt. I would go with gas, maybe the one you already own.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by CWA View Post

I own a 33ft Cougar X-lite 29RBK. It is a TT, not a 5th wheel.
Yeah, I got off-topic there.

So let's return to that F-250. GVWR = 8,800 pounds. If it's a 4x2 it's going to weigh about 7,500 pounds when wet and ready for the road, leaving 1,300 pounds for hitch weight. That will work.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 8,200, and experience says that it will actually weigh about 8,000 pounds in the middle of your third camping trip. With 12% hitch weight, that's 960 pounds hitch weight. 7,500 for the 4x2 tow vehicle + 960 hitch weight = 8,460. You're good to go if you can keep the weight of the pickup down to less than about 7,800 pounds and the hitch weight down to about 960.

But the 4x4s are about 400 pounds heavier, so if the F-250 is a 4x4, make that 7,900 for the wet and loaded tow vehicle. 7,900 plus 960 hitch weight = 8860 pounds. Overloaded by 60 pounds, until you hook up the WD hitch. The WD hitch will move about 150 pounds of hitch weight back to the trailer axles. So the CAT scale will probably report that you have less than 8,800 pounds on the two truck axles.

That's close enough that I would spend some money on CAT scale reports to see where I really stand with a wet and loaded pickup hooked up to a wet and loaded TT with a weight-distributing hitch. You may have more breathing room than my estimates indicate.

SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote