Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Short trailer for tall people?

We currently have a 23' bumper to hitch trailer with no slides. We love that it is easy to pull, parks anywhere, and has an easy set-up. Hubby is tall and when we bought this trailer, we thought we had the height issue handled because he can stand up inside. However, he can't stand upright in the shower unless his head is wedged against the top of the skylight. And his back hurts too much to bend over for even a short shower. The bathroom is so dinky that he can't bend over to remove pants unless he is halfway out the door. Ditto for sitting in the bathroom. We do have a full queen bed, which would normally be perfect, but with the slope of the front of the trailer, there isn't really 80" on the mattress, so his feet hang off the end.

That's the inconvience for him. For me, his legs are always in the way. Always. Maybe it's a guy thing, but he can't sit on the bench or chair with his feet against the front. His legs are always stretched out and usually in front of the sink and stove or blocking the path to anywhere.

We've been looking for one a little longer and little taller. And just like looking at houses or cars, we started looking at a 25', then found a 28' that we liked better, and once we changed our limit to "no longer than 28'", we found a 30'11" that we liked. Then we got cold feet and started thinking about how much heavier it was with 2 slides, how much harder to pull through construction zones and narrow roads, etc.

So now we've got our heads on straight again, and want no longer than 26', if it has to have a slide, then only one slide. A shower, that if not tall, at least is big enough to put a shower chair in, a bathroom big enough to change clothes. And the seating inside somewhere for him to sit with legs out of the way. And just to make it difficult, it needs to have a full length wardrobe.

Any ideas? My first thought is that a rear, u-shaped dinette would work, but I can't find one.
Graycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

Finding tall showers in TTs is tough. At 6'4" and with a bad back I literally feel your husband's pain. I've moved into a 5th wheel and can tell you a lot of to problems go away. Most 5th wheels have better showers and the head clearance in the main living area is HUGE. The bedroom is still a bit tight though.

Like so many other things in the world, most RVs just aren't made for tall people.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We bought a 26' KZ Sportsmen Showstopper 2 years ago.
We only looked at half a dozen TT's before we bought this one. It's advantages for us were the height inside the trailer ( I'm 6'3" and our son 6'7"), it has bunks for the grandkids, an outdoor kitchen and was light enough in weight for the vehicle we have to tow.
The bathroom is definitely small, but I am able to stand in the shower and change clothes with the door closed (the son hasn't gone camping with us so don't know if he fits or not).
Another reason we bought this particular trailer was the fact that I am handy with tools and don't mind diving into projects to make improvements.
So far I have extended the bed so I fit on it, converted the u shaped dinette into one with a bench on each side with a larger table. Added a window to the upper bunk and some other mods.
I guess my point in saying all this is, you may not find a trailer that meets all requirements, but if you don't mind performing mods on it yourself, you can make one into what you really want.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

I know I am in the wrong forum but ---- we have an Arctic Fox 5th. I am 6-2 and have to jump in an attempt to touch the ceiling. Mostly I just go get my three step stepladder when I want to open or close the blind on the skylight.
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

I think, with your narrow parameters, you're going to end up back at Outdoors RV or Northwood...as originally recommended elsewhere.

With that said, head over to Baird, and spend some time inside this Northwood-built Snow River 234RBS. It's a discontinued floor plan, but has all the features and benefits of Northwood construction. The Snow River line is not as well known, and the graphics and interior colors may not be as mainstream looking, but they are great trailers. Maybe you can make a deal on this one? It's already discounted heavily, and it's a new 2017.
https://hannerrv.com/NewInventory/20...VUOGCiAW0Wnfcw

https://youtu.be/uqgcTW6c-5o

Interior height-check
26'-check (well ok, 26' 10" bumper to hitch)
Single slide-check
Big shower-check (corner fifth-wheel style)
Seating-check (u-shaped dinette in slide)
Full length wardrobe-check. (full length, but bottom is drawers)

Now the curb side exterior pic on the website is not correct. The 234RBS has a single entry door in the middle. Edit: doesn't appear to give room for the mattress upgrade to 80"?

Quit fooling around, go get it! give your husband, and you some room, and the cat will love the outdoor kitchen to boot!

Best,
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm 6'3", and my ORV trailer is made with an arched roof and ceiling. The shower skylight is right over where I stand in the shower providing more head room. No problems.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 215Air. My neighbor is 6'4" and he can walk fully up right with no problems. Just under 24' long and only 1 slide out. GVWR is 6050# but it does have a short queen. Walk around bed and wardrobe though. Shower is slightly elevated so depending on his height might still be an issue. U shaped dinette on slide out. Full wardrobe in bathroom as well.

http://primetimerv.com/product-detai...elID=1661#Main
Old 09-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I'm 6'4" and 210. I fit into the shower and can use the toilet easily in my Flagstaff 21FBRS. My head is up in the dome, but that works OK. I still have about 2" of clearance. Bending over to use the little sink is a little clumsy, so I've been known to shave in the kitchen. The TT has one slide, with a couch in it. So my #13 feet are usually not it the way. I've never been in a bed long enough, but the queen at 77" is OK. The TT is only 21 1/2 ft long, and weighs only 5100 lbs loaded up.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
We currently have a 23' bumper to hitch trailer with no slides. We love that it is easy to pull, parks anywhere, and has an easy set-up. Hubby is tall and when we bought this trailer, we thought we had the height issue handled because he can stand up inside. However, he can't stand upright in the shower unless his head is wedged against the top of the skylight. And his back hurts too much to bend over for even a short shower. The bathroom is so dinky that he can't bend over to remove pants unless he is halfway out the door. Ditto for sitting in the bathroom. We do have a full queen bed, which would normally be perfect, but with the slope of the front of the trailer, there isn't really 80" on the mattress, so his feet hang off the end.

That's the inconvience for him. For me, his legs are always in the way. Always. Maybe it's a guy thing, but he can't sit on the bench or chair with his feet against the front. His legs are always stretched out and usually in front of the sink and stove or blocking the path to anywhere.

We've been looking for one a little longer and little taller. And just like looking at houses or cars, we started looking at a 25', then found a 28' that we liked better, and once we changed our limit to "no longer than 28'", we found a 30'11" that we liked. Then we got cold feet and started thinking about how much heavier it was with 2 slides, how much harder to pull through construction zones and narrow roads, etc.

So now we've got our heads on straight again, and want no longer than 26', if it has to have a slide, then only one slide. A shower, that if not tall, at least is big enough to put a shower chair in, a bathroom big enough to change clothes. And the seating inside somewhere for him to sit with legs out of the way. And just to make it difficult, it needs to have a full length wardrobe.

Any ideas? My first thought is that a rear, u-shaped dinette would work, but I can't find one.

Outdoors RV/Mountain series/23RKS.....check it out!
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer