Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
Should I add a slide topper?

I just bought my first TT that has a slide out. The first trip out the Campsite was under a large pine tree....over the course of a week a lot of debris from the tree fell on the TT. It wasn't a huge job the sweep it all off but it got me thinking maybe I should add a slide topper. The dealer quoted me $663 to install one. I am pretty handy and am confident I can install one myself.

Is it worth it to install one? The slide out is a bed so it sticks out pretty far about 5Ft.

How difficult is it to install?

Any recommendations on brand/model?

Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Just as long as you have it attached at a strong point I think you could. I don't know if they beef up the areas where the brackets go.
I think they are more trouble than anything else. They flap in the wind and eventually tear at the corners. During a storm you need to bring in the slide to protect the topper. I would rather brush off the top of the slide when necessary than add a topper.
Good luck

If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't be a criminal!
Winnebago adventurer 37g, 96 tracker
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Skyline Owners Group
I chose to install a a care free and have found that it was fairly simple to install after finding installation documents at their web site.
I chose to go with a topper as I like to leave early and do not want to get up on it to sweep it off. The carefree products seem to puddle water easier than others
I would buy a The next time as it looks to be a better product
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
IMHO, they work better on short slides than long ones. They do eventually stretch and blow in the wind, and can be noisy when flapping. Stuff can blow underneath them on occasion. Some use beach balls or pool noodles underneath to keep them taught. I have a large slide that only takes a few minutes to clean before retracting. Keep it simple.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
I recently had a slide topper installed on our new Bullet for that very reason; to keep debris and most of the rain off the top of the slide and prevent debris damage to the slide seals.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Buy a cordless blower save the expense of the slide toppers plus the noise from flapping in the wind can really suck.
JRWillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Thanks for the responses. I never considered noise factor. Sounds like I should just wait and see how things go.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
A tip for when it rains and you don't have a slide topper: before closing your slide run your tongue jack up or down to put a slope on the slide and let as much water as possible run off the top of the slide. Then put the TT back level before closing the slide. I do that even with a slide topper.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
We prefer a slide topper. We had one on our previous trailer for over 8 years and had no tearing problems. Yes, on occasion, they flap but we haven't had that problem that often but it will depend on where you camp/travel. And, if there has been a lot of rain and water accumulates, it only takes a minute or two to slowly retract the slideout and allow water to drain off. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives but it boils down to "different jokes for different folks!"
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
I would have to say it's a must to keep debris and water off your slide. We had one installed just before taking delivery and it's fantastic. No problems with water build up. We recebtly had 9 hours of rain continuous. For some reason (and I don't know why/how) ours tips the puddle when it gets too much. When it rains ...every 10mins or so you can hear it pouring off the topper onto the floor. It must be just luck of the draw as I see no mechanism that I can say that creates this effect. Maybe its designed and installed at a slight angle? Not sure..And to be clear this is the slide topper NOT the awning.
2016 Lance 1995
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn (Custom)
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't without them on my slides.

Only negative I can offer is when the wind starts holding steady above 25 mph I pull the slides in to protect the toppers.

Not sure this is really necessary but it makes me feel better.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Thanks for the responses. I never considered noise factor. Sounds like I should just wait and see how things go.
Some people just throw a rope over the slide topper to stop the noise.
Ram 2500 6.4L, Creekside 23RKS, Smyrna, Ga
Previously - Casita 17' w/Dodge Dakota 3.9L
dexters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Most people that I talk to who travel to Arizona don't like slide toppers because the wind there drives them crazy with the flapping noise. The other 48 states need them. I' m sure not going to get a blower out during a rain storm to blow off the slide before bringing it in. Over time the dirt and debris will damage the top seal and you will get a leak. Eventually all slide will leak and the topper prevents that to a great degree. There are some models that also pivot down over the outer edge of the slide to provide shade for the windows. If you don't want the shade then fold it up to the outer top edge and it retracts to that point. These seem to be the best alternative.
Don't be without slide toppers if for no other reason than to prevent leaks.
Final comment. Be sure to watch your slide seals and make sure they are clean and positioned properly at all times. Treat them with conditioner occasionally to keep them operating properly.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 AM   #14
We had a bad rain storm in the desert last year. We had 4 near by rv which had them. By the end of the flooding rain 3 had them ripped or gone from their rv.

I looked at them but I just used a broom and move on myself.

TT: Dutchmen 2014 261BHS
TV: Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, 3.73 6ft bed 2014.
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote