Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Should I buy a cover?

Hello, I need to change my username from Miami class C to Miami Travel trailer because I just upgraded from a 2005 Class C with a bunch of leaks to a brand new Keystone Passport 2400bh TT. Anyway, as stated before my last Class C had a lot of leaks and finally the upper bunk sprung a leak and we had a bunch of black mildew and my wife had enough and made me trade it in. Now with our new TT, I am wanting to get a cover because I am deathly afraid of any more leaks. My buddies have told me that a cover is a bad idea because the trailer needs to "breathe" especially with the Miami humidity. My argument is that the TT will be on the side of the house and I actually have a 30amp outlet on my house so I am going to keep it air conditioned and cool so I think keeping it covered will be best. As far as my username, I guess I can keep it because it can be interpreted it as "Miami Classy" lol. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Bought the trailer from owner that had a cover still in the packaging. It still is. We thought about putting it on this year after returning from FL in February but every time it was decent enough to put it on it was too windy so it is still in its original package after 4 years of our ownership.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought one for a trailer years ago.

My wife, daughter and I put it on the first time.

My wife and I put it on the second time.

I put it on by myself the third and last time.

It seems I'm a slow learner.

Make sure you tie it down really good as you will get places where it will wear the paint off.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We cover our RV when it will sit over a month without a trip.

It is not an easy thing to do with a 37' Class A, but the alternative is sun damage to the roof, exterior gel coat and all the seals and soft parts. Covered storage is best but too expensive in our part of the US.

A typical cover will not damage paint and will not grow mold/mildew. Do not use a blue tarp, do not cover a dirty RV and do not tie a cover down too tight. That will damage the exterior.

Only the owner can make this call...cover now or pay for the impact of exposure later.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclassC View Post
Hello, I need to change my username from Miami class C to Miami Travel trailer because I just upgraded from a 2005 Class C with a bunch of leaks to a brand new Keystone Passport 2400bh TT. Anyway, as stated before my last Class C had a lot of leaks and finally the upper bunk sprung a leak and we had a bunch of black mildew and my wife had enough and made me trade it in. Now with our new TT, I am wanting to get a cover because I am deathly afraid of any more leaks. My buddies have told me that a cover is a bad idea because the trailer needs to "breathe" especially with the Miami humidity. My argument is that the TT will be on the side of the house and I actually have a 30amp outlet on my house so I am going to keep it air conditioned and cool so I think keeping it covered will be best. As far as my username, I guess I can keep it because it can be interpreted it as "Miami Classy" lol. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance
I say cover it. But get a quality RV cover. There are lots around but few have excellent reviews I'm seeing. If put on correctly an RV cover will definitely extent the life of your exterior. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!
Its so uncanny that whatever I'm looking for RIGHT NOW.. someone always seems to chime in with the same requests lol. This is an excellent RV forum!

Finally congrats on your new TT!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

I use one, it isn't too hard to put on or take off if you think it through. Hardest part is getting it on the roof to start unfolding. I use a step ladder to get it up there, then climb up the attached ladder, carry it to the front and unfold it opposite of how I folded it. Get down, using the step ladder again pull down the sides, front and back, then secure everything. About 20 minutes start to finish, to me it's well worth it.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

I never had any issue with my ADCO in the 4 years I used it and it's very humid here in S. Ga. The "breathe" statement is just a myth that just won't go away.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

Can anyone recommend a quality cover? And any that should be avoided?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
miamiclassC
A properly maintained RV roof will NOT leak.

I use Eternabond tape and Dicor self leveling caulk. See:
https://jet.com/product/detail/00130...FZYXHwodsjoCOw
And:
Robot Check
AND I re-tighten the roof A/C hold down bolts to the specified INCH/pound torque once a year.

BTW you can't use a RV cover while the RV is moving... if/when you're using the RV...(or while running the roof A/C units, or the refidgerator, or the furnace).

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles.
Mine since '01...(never covered)
Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Can anyone recommend a quality cover? And any that should be avoided?
Any of the mid-priced covers are good - Adco, Expedition, Formosa, etc.
I would stay away from the "Universal" covers that are LACKING Tyvek type materials, zippered corners and quality tie-down fixtures.

See my posts here:
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!
abd
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
miamiclassC
A properly maintained RV roof will NOT leak.
I use Eternabond tape and Dicor self leveling caulk.
https://jet.com/product/detail/00130...FZYXHwodsjoCOw

Robot Check

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles...mine since '01...(never covered)
While I agree a properly cared for roof "should" not leak, age and the sun exposure will reduce that lifespan and increase the need for maint.

A cover will reduce the hours of exposure that the soft parts of the RV endure (roof, caulking, gel coat, etc.)

Again, I will yield that cover storage is best, if you can afford it or as it is allowed at your location (home pad, storage, etc.). And, the next best thing is a cover.

Safe travels

P.S. Just bought/installed new tires
Now, tire covers go on the RV any and every time it is stopped for the same reasons we use a RV cover
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
the TT will be on the side of the house and I actually have a 30amp outlet on my house so I am going to keep it air conditioned and cool so I think keeping it covered will be best.

Can't run the roof mounted air conditioner with a cover over it.......
Old 03-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

thank you guys

Thank you guys so much for the tips. Yeah, I guess it would have been crazy to try to run the AC with a cover lol. I really wasn't thinking that through. But yeah, I am going to get me a good cover. I definitely don't want any more leaks. And Mel, you're right in both of your identical posts (haha) but man, I sealed that baby up twice and I had two different dealerships seal it up on two different occasions and it still kept leaking. Those Class C bunk windows were made to leak know matter how many times you seal it. It was just a lemon I guess. I tried everything in my power, so this time I am going to get a cover and I think that should help. Looking forward to many camping adventures!
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you guys so much for the tips. Yeah, I guess it would have been crazy to try to run the AC with a cover lol. I really wasn't thinking that through. But yeah, I am going to get me a good cover. I definitely don't want any more leaks. And Mel, you're right in both of your identical posts (haha) but man, I sealed that baby up twice and I had two different dealerships seal it up on two different occasions and it still kept leaking. Those Class C bunk windows were made to leak know matter how many times you seal it. It was just a lemon I guess. I tried everything in my power, so this time I am going to get a cover and I think that should help. Looking forward to many camping adventures!
miamiclassC
Sorry about my duplicate posts.

I must have a dissociative identity disorder, (aka: split personality)...because I often repeat my self.

And so do I.
Mel