Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Should I eliminate Skylight in shower.

We have recently ordered a new Arctic Fox model 32 A travel trailer. Normally comes with three skylights with one of them being in the shower. I am considering eliminating the skylight in the shower as it would make it hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We live in Texas and extreme heat is something that we deal with daily. I am aware that the skylight provides ambient light during the day and that it also provides additional head clearance while standing in the shower. The height in the shower is 6'3" from floor to ceiling with out the skylight in place. There is also a fantastic fan vent located in this bathroom that would provide a small amount of ambient light. Obviously, there are a couple of LED ceiling fixtures that tend to light the room well when they are switched on.
My concern is not that I would need the light while showering, but rather just to provide ambient light when someone walks into the bathroom during the day. I must say that I am leaning towards taking the sky light out so that I don't have to worry about heat or cold or leaks or deteriorating lenses over time.
Any thoughts or experiences from this wonderful group would be appreciated.

texasfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
How tall are you? If you are near six feet, you will smack your knuckles against the ceiling about a hundred times when you wash your hair, before you learn to stoop.

Matt B

Matt B
1998 Monaco Windsor
oldmattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our model year Outlaw was the last without the shower skylight. As the OP states it is a bridge for external cold/heat, but does give a higher ceiling in the shower and ambient light.

At first we were wishing we had it, but now realize that it is better without. We can use 1 of the 3 different lights (over mirror, over shower, or over toilet - or all 3) as needed, there is no transfer of the external temp and that piece of ceiling will never be a leak risk.

And, since we use a cover while in storage, that is one less roof fixture to worry about tripping over or accidently stepping on.

Just our 2 cent worth.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Outdoors RV Owners Club
No reason to eliminate it. We've camped in 100+ weather and the bathroom was no warmer than anywhere else in the trailer.
TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Skylights are double paned so, to some extent they stop the heat/cold transfer from outside.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
While it's not been to your heat extreme, I've camped in 19* weather and my bathroom was the same as the rest of the camper, with the door closed. I've camped in 90* weather and noticed no issue with heat, 100*+ might be different though.

I'm 6'3" and love the thing.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
As said above, they are there for the headroom more than for the light, so whether you will need it depends on your height and the ceiling height of the rig. The floor of the tub/shower it typically 2-3" higher than the floor.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
You might consider exploring alternatives. Possibly a custom fitting white vinyl "bra" that snaps over the skylight. Would cut some heat but provide the headroom. For me, although the skylight does heat the area, at 6'3", I cant imagine eliminating it.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Order the skylight and then spray paint 80% of it, mask off around the outer 3-4" that way you don't have problems with the heat in the summer, and you can keep most of the sun out as necessary, and still have light as needed to some extent...

My dear friends did that and they loved it.
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Skylights in my trailers/truck campers were a huge source of heat in the summer and cold in the winter.
We always buy 1-3 year old used units and have to put up with them however if I was buying new unit and had a option I would delete them all.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Entegra Owners Club
My wife made an insulated shade that fits into the skylight and keeps the heat out. When showering, I remove the shade to get more headroom. Best of both worlds.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
I packed ours with clear 1/4" bubble wrap packing/insulation, it helped a lot.
2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Outdoors RV Owners Club
These are all great comments. I think I am leaning towards deleting them for the reasons being discussed, plus they are really noisy during a rainstorm. We presently have them in our Airstream trailer and when it rains it is quite loud.
I must say I am a little worried about resale value, but hopefully that will not be my problem. Any other thoughts are welcomed.
texasfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are taking the skylight out you might be able to run a wire from the bathroom light and install a couple LED lights in the shower.

At the same time you could think of plumbing in a rainfall showerhead.

I was getting some moisture in our shower skylight and when I took it out to dry it out I had clear access to the area above the ceiling. Running wires from another fixture should be easy. I hope!

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote