Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #29
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Empty or full, no difference, never felt slosh either. I keep it full at home so I am ready for the "Big One". If I am going where I have no water I travel full. If I will have water there I travel with about 10 gal or so just for those emergency stops. The FW tank is behind the axle so no added tongue weight and it doesn't remove enough to matter.

2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #30
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really don't think water sloshes around as much as one might think even with a half empty tank. To me, I don't give it a second thought. I travel with about 1/3rd tank for the toilet and hand washing along the way when on trips where I'll be camping with water available. When boondocking, I fill it to the top.

TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #31
I prefer to travel with full water tank, suspect its about 24-30 gallons. Be prepared for no water at destination.
2004 Chevy Silverado
1999 Fleetwood Mallard 27G
Retired Backpacker out and about
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #32
I've honestly never given any thought to filling my FW tank before leaving the house. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should. Most of our trips are between 1.5 - 4 hours from home. The one thing I would be concerned about is our FW tank is in the front of the TT putting a fairly considerable amount of weight on the tongue.
cburkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #33
Should I fill the fresh water tank full?

My only concern if my tanks have water to them or not is If I am overweight. Water weights just over 8 pounds a gallon. My fresh water tank is 50 gallons. 400 lbs for water. Since it is just me and a dog so if I only half fill my tank that makes up another person to add to my total cargo weight. The trucks can handle another person but will my trailer be over weight.
Kip and Kirby the Wonder Dog
2014 F250 XL 6.2L
2016 Nash 23D
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #34
I would expect the manufacturer has taken the tanks being full into account when designing the unit, I personally never drink the rank water and only fill it a third when traveling to use the facilities. I have yet to boondocks but will eventually.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #35
This is the first discussion I've read thru across a number of forums where someone was concerned about water slosh... I don't have the experience to comment on that. Seems like a lot of people run empty or at least not full to keep the gas price down. Also, I remember a thread that recommended running with full tanks when strong cross winds are expected. Thought was the extra weight might keep the TT upright.
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #36
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always keep my water tank at least full as you never know when you might need to spend a couple days somewhere without water service. I also keep the black and grey tanks empty and the fuel tank full or near to it. That way if there's a natural disaster I have some place to live for a few days.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #37
My tank sits on the axles. We can get by for a couple of days with a half tank but usually we just fill it. We have a 40 gallon tank but there is just two of us.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #38
We were concerned about this at the start, too, but in our short experience (6 weeks), we haven't noticed too much of a difference no matter what level it is at. Granted our tank isn't as big as yours, but that seems to generally be the consensus. Good luck and if you do start to feel it sloshing, maybe adjust from there!
JohnandKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:41 AM   #39
National RV Owners Club
Drinking water

Curious after reading these posts. How many drink from there water systems and how do you tell if your water system is good to drink? We bought a 2005 national, 30,000 miles, also if you use it for drinking, how do you treat it each year?
Akwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #40
So far , we have never used our fresh water tank, except to test the pump when we bought it, and a few time when a big storm was going and had to use the TT if we lost ele.
When you fill it,do you just fill it to overflow at the fill port ??
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:34 AM   #41
Originally Posted by Akwoofer View Post
Curious after reading these posts. How many drink from there water systems and how do you tell if your water system is good to drink? We bought a 2005 national, 30,000 miles, also if you use it for drinking, how do you treat it each year?
We use water tank water for everything, (cooking, drinking, showers etc.),
The water tank and fresh water system have been sanitized with bleach twice, (once in '01, when the coach was new to me, and again in 2012).

BTW that's 2 more times than the water system in my 40 year old sticks and bricks has been "treated".

'96 Safari, 148k miles (120k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #42
I always fill it to overflowing. This is especially important when sanitizing so the bleach is in the fill hose. Did you ever see the inside of a fill hose that wasn't properly maintained?

Those that worry about sloshing, do you keep the furl tank completely full or empty? Did you ever feel a slosh from it?

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, water