Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
What is the correct ration and procedure for sanitizing the FWT ???
rideandslide
For sanitizing the tank and the fresh water system with bleach the ratio is one quarter cup of household bleach for every fifteen gallons of water your fresh water tank holds.

The procedure varies depending upon whether your water tank can be gravity filled or if a hose most be used... and whether or not the RV has a water heater bypass, or some sort of accessory for sanitizing, installed.

Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #58

Thanks Sdennislee!
I probably would have used the long passed down process from the generations of men in family of "some is good, more is better!"

Old 07-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #59

Dah ????

Gravity fill ??? Here is what i know, there is a portal on the side of the TT marked fresh water fill, it's just an open hole, with a cap, that's where i fill the water tank.. On the bottom of the fresh water tank the is a capped nipple, i presume the drain tube. I installed a weatherization Y valve at the water pump that sucks the antifreeze into the system, i have never had to too it yet, being in southern ga, and the winters have not been cold enough to be concerned , the water heater is way up under the bed, in the nose of the TT, i have not looked for a by pass valve there,even if there is one, which i presume there is, wouldn't you want to sanatize that also ( knowing not to have it on at the time ) and those lines also ?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Dah ????

Gravity fill ??? Here is what i know, there is a portal on the side of the TT marked fresh water fill, it's just an open hole, with a cap, that's where i fill the water tank.. On the bottom of the fresh water tank the is a capped nipple, i presume the drain tube. I installed a weatherization Y valve at the water pump that sucks the antifreeze into the system, i have never had to too it yet, being in southern ga, and the winters have not been cold enough to be concerned , the water heater is way up under the bed, in the nose of the TT, i have not looked for a by pass valve there,even if there is one, which i presume there is, wouldn't you want to sanatize that also ( knowing not to have it on at the time ) and those lines also ?
You can sanitize the water heater at the same time or do it separately with vinegar as shown in this video
For Suburban Heater
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #61

We put a cup of bleach in the fresh water hose, then connect the hose to the camper. Set the fill valve to city fill, and turn on the water. The water pushes the bleach into the tank.

just continue to fill the tank, and let it sit for an hour... Then change the valve to normal and run the mix through all the fixtures using the water pump. (Always remember to remove the water filter prior to sanitizing).
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #62

On the subject of sanitizing, make sure that if you ever hook up to campground water supply that you drain your hot water tank and purge your lines with fresh water when you get home. A lot of the campground water is just lake water supplied by a pressure pump.

I learned this the hard way with my first TT. We left the water heater and lines full of campground water for a couple weeks until we used the TT again. We got up into the Rocky Mountains and the wife turned on the hot water tap. The most disgusting rotten egg smell filled the camper! It was nasty. We couldn't use our water the whole time we were there.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I prefer an empty tank. 0 pounds to haul. I've only been one place where we needed to bring water so I took it full. And in regard to needing water to wash up.....

I took my drain plug out and replaced it with a length of Pex going back right beside the dump valves. Then i added a small valve and a short length of Pex out of that and I can add a couple gallons just for washing up when dumping. Very handy.

I also drain my W/H before traveling and switch it to bypass at home while we clean before and after a trip. I turn it off the evening before or I turn it off and let it run to fill the kitchen gray tank that way it flushed the tank better and it cools the water in the heater for draining without scalding yourself.
That is brilliant. I bet there are a lot of us going out right now to make this modification!
Thank you.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water