Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

Should I upgrade my axles?

My 24ft TT weighed in 6160lb GVW from the factory and came with 2800lb axles. It has been heavily modified with 3 big solar panels, 4 golf cart batteries, a custom steel rack on the rear which I carry about 14 gallons of water and jacking gear. I also run full tanks on the road. I boondock often. Also the frame folded and it’s been straightened and reinforced.

My brakes are giving me problems again so I’m going to replace them and the drums. Should I upgrade to 3500lb axles now? I’m guessing my trailer weighs in around 6500lb fully loaded. And yes, I should know the current weight but I’ve been negligent. I do plan on weighing it soon but I suspect it will weigh under 7k.

I rather not spend the money, but I much rather not break an axle boondocking in a national forest when on a schedule.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

As I see it you have three potential issues. One is the the tires. They have a weight rating. One are the axles that you already are thinking about. And one is the trailer frame.

Sounds like you really boondock. I bet rough roads. That puts extra stress on your trailer.

Get the trailer weighed before you do anything so you know for sure what your modified trailer weighs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #3

You have a considerable amount of unknown weight hanging off the rear bumper, you've had the frame fold, and you have brake problems. What do you think the main problem is? What is your gut telling you?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #4

Axles are cheap and easy to install. Heavier axles will have heavier brakes and wheel bearings. As long as your sure the frame is ok now I would go for it.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

I would get it weighed first with it fully loaded to make sure you have enough tongue weight. You might end up having to move the axles back slightly. Replacing the axles is a good idea.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

I’m going to eat the cost and put on new axles, brakes, and springs. I’ve already upgraded to Goodyear Endurance tires. Found a trailer repair place and after I weigh my TT I’ll take it to them. Although RV construction is piss poor, I’m hard on my TT.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

Upgrading the axles is NOT going to cure 'overloading and folding up frame' which you have already done so frame is weaker now

Maybe time for a heavier rated trailer and NOT overload it.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Should I upgrade my axles?

Frame has been heavily reinforced by a reputable RV/weld shop that has been in business for years in the mountain west.

They are so good, there is a wait to get service. They are also at 8000 ft so I would have to winterize the trailer. The aforementioned mods seemed to be pretty straight forward bolt on items but after talking to some local shops I am not filled with confidence. Since I live in my trailer, which I love, but also work, I was hoping to minimize the time of absence from my baby. But, these guys are good so back it goes.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Upgrading axles does nothing to the vehicle certified GAWRs. They just invite more load which is going to cause you to exceed the trailer's GVWR which is NOT supposed to be exceeded. You really need to find some weight scales and make them your friend.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Upgrading axles does nothing to the vehicle certified GAWRs. They just invite more load which is going to cause you to exceed the trailer's GVWR which is NOT supposed to be exceeded. You really need to find some weight scales and make them your friend.

You’re absolutely right. I weighed the trailer and it was way overloaded. The current frame mods will manage the weight comfortably but now 5200lb axles with the necessary brake, wheel, tire upgrades is being done.

My old construction mentality which was to stick your head in the sand when loading trailers and trucks on the job site, penny-pinching and my love of boon docking was going to catch up to me AGAIN.

I’m not aware of any TTs on the market that are truly rated for rougher use and for staying off grid. I do remember one manufacturer promoting a line of trailers, but when I looked at the specs, they had the typical frames, axles and tires as their other similarly sized TTs. My friends TT made in the early 70s is much more robust.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
How are weight ratings established in the first place?

Don't frame, axles, and hitch make up most of the input to ratings?

Wouldn't welding support on the frame and axles of a different type pretty much eliminate any factory rating?

If he replaces his axles with 5000# axles (assuming 2 axles), I think that in combination with the quality frame reinforcement already done, the only thing left to do is check out the hitch specs. Forget the factory rating and estimate new ratings. What ever they would be, they would be much greater than before.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

With 4 golf cart batteries just keep an eye on the coupler. My initial thought is the coupler area will be ok...but I have been wrong before.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
How are weight ratings established in the first place?

Don't frame, axles, and hitch make up most of the input to ratings?

Wouldn't welding support on the frame and axles of a different type pretty much eliminate any factory rating?

If he replaces his axles with 5000# axles (assuming 2 axles), I think that in combination with the quality frame reinforcement already done, the only thing left to do is check out the hitch specs. Forget the factory rating and estimate new ratings. What ever they would be, they would be much greater than before.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
The vehicle manufacture determines its GVWR. Therefore they, or a certified vehicle modifier are the only ones authorized to change a vehicle's certified GVWR.

You can put; 49 CFR part 567 in your search engine and read the vehicle certification standards.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OutdoorsRV and Arctic Fox build their own frames and have suspension packages that allow for 3000 pound cargo capacities or more. These packages already include upgraded axles and suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. They also have larger tanks and higher ground clearance for boondocking and off-road capability. Better insulated than most as well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade