Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Should i worry someone stealing my brand new grill?

Just purchased a very nice 22,000 btu fold up grill, should I be concerned someone will swipe it while we're gone? Should I carry a chain and a lock to tether it to the RV or picnic table?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good question but we've spent >1500 nights in CGs over the past 5 years and never had anything (including our grill) walk off.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Good question but we've spent >1500 nights in CGs over the past 5 years and never had anything (including our grill) walk off.
About the same number of nights in the same time period and ditto never lost anything, or heard someone complain about losing anything. We do not chain anything. The only precautions we take are to put computers, binoculars, cell phones, etc. out of sight before leaving. I suppose there are campgrounds where you might have to worry about such things - we do not stay in any.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Sadly, I would secure it before leaving campsite.

Also, in National Parks, it HAS to be stowed to prevent attracting animals. (4 legged)

I would secure it to prevent attracting 2 legged.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

If you are worried....get some cable from Lowes/Home Depot. The plastic coated stuff. get a good length for your use....get a couple of the (oh dang what do you call them?) end bits that you use to create a loop in the ends. Loop this around your grill etc and then to a solid object. You can usually just use one lock. Much lighter than a chain, the plastic keeps it from dinging your stuff up and it deters a thief from just walking away.

That said I don't see many issues with theft in most campgrounds.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
If you are worried....get some cable from Lowes/Home Depot. The plastic coated stuff. get a good length for your use....get a couple of the (oh dang what do you call them?) end bits that you use to create a loop in the ends. Loop this around your grill etc and then to a solid object. You can usually just use one lock. Much lighter than a chain, the plastic keeps it from dinging your stuff up and it deters a thief from just walking away.

That said I don't see many issues with theft in most campgrounds.
Ditto, we have never lost anything except to 4 leggers. That was our own stupidity.

All you need is a deterent if you are worried. It's not Fort Knox.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

Campers are USUALLY the most honest people you'll ever meet. I say "usually" because it happened to us. Yes, we were robbed. We didn't discover it until the next day, when one of the guys in our group was missing a driver out of his golf bag. He was the only one who put the top of his golf bag facing the tailgate; the rest of us put our clubs in the other way. Thank goodness....my $350 Nike driver was only a week old at that point and I would have been SUPER pissed if mine were missing! Then the light dawned on us. When we got in the truck in the AM, our interior lights were turned off. And the cover to our center console was broke. We usually never locked our vehicles. So the thief(s) must have opened the door, turned off the lights, and then broke the console cover when rooting around in there. The only thing missing from our vehicle was the driver (that's okay, it was only a $10 driver from Big Lots) but he was still ticked. Our friends were not so lucky.....their laptop was stolen. Camp host had firewood stolen the same night. They figured it was some young "adults" (I use that term very loosely) camping across from us for one night. Punks. We now lock all vehicles at night and make sure anything of real value is put away. As for the grill, we leave it attached.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just chain it up with the same chain you use for Bruno.. Your Rotweiller. (Ok so the Rot is really a plastic statue, but hey.. Mr. Crook don't know that)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We always leave things out and unsecured....never a problem. We even leave the door unlocked. Mostly because when we leave the dogs, the neighbors can get them out in case of fire.

Of couse if we were ever in a questionable CG, we may operate differently.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Of couse if we were ever in a questionable CG, we may operate differently.
Totally agree that if depends a lot on the campground we're in.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Have been full timing for 2+ years and just experienced our first theft. Someone stole my 15 year old rusty mountain bike from right outside the RV....and this in a nice park in a good part of town and with security too. Before this incident I would have said don't worry about it, but now i'd recommend locking or using a cable on anything you don't want walking away. The vast majority of campers are good people, and we've never had any other incidents, but it just takes one bad seed. Sad, but true...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have never had any problems. We don't leave alot out, other than our loungers and some fishing poles.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Haven't lost anything but I don't want to either so... I cable my "Baby Q" and my bike. I sleep better that way.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

A few years ago, DW and I were camping at jigger johnson CG in Conway NH. We went for a bike ride for About an hour or so and when we returned, all seemed well untill I went for a beverage. Our cooler (left in bed of pickup) had been robbed of MY redbull, Yeager and Mikes hard lemonade, but they left the michelob ultra that was the wifes. They also stole my bratwurst I was planning to have.
We knew the site a little up the road had teenagers staying there and they probly helped themselves to our goodies. I'm just glad they didn't take anything else.
I still don't chain anything but I do put things away out of sight outta mind, and I do lock 5vr door.

07PSDCREW is offline   Reply With Quote