Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

My 1100 watt inverter is a modified sine wave and it runs everything I may need to run okay, but at some point I'll probably upgrade it to a PSW unit. It also has a wired remote that I mounted next to the new 120 vac outlet, so it's only turned on when we need it. Like I said earlier I've run the microwave and other things without any problem, but actually it's just there more as a backup. I think it draws around a half amp when on and if I remember correctly it's around 85% efficient. I agree that when using inverters it's best to use one sized to your need, but this works for me. My F150 has a built in inverter and USB ports so we tend to use those while driving. My 2016 Bullet 269RLS did not come with a single 12vdc outlet in it, so I added a triple stack unit next to the entertainment center that has a 12vdc outlet, dual USB charging ports and a digital 12vdc voltage display. I wired this unit through a separate switch down to the 12vdc fuse bank on its own 10 amp fused circuit. Works great and is certainly better for monitoring the batteries than those silly lights on the main control panel. We also carry a 140 watt plug in inverter, but with our current setup we rarely use it.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Yes, I like your idea of installing one or more 12VDC outlets inside the trailer, as my little Winnebago has zero - and no internal voltage readout for the battery either (just the silly little 4-dot strength indicator).

Which is another reason I'm thinking of mounting the inverter itself inside the trailer, where I can take advantage of its built-in LED readouts that show DC batt voltage as well as AC wattage output when in use. There's a great place for it right by the bed where it would be out of the way, yet visible & easily accessible for use (plus the main batt cutoff switch is right on the other side of the panel in the front pass-thru, so hookup would be a breeze).
McMurdo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #17

Simple Inverter Question

Keep in mind that they have cooling fans in them, so depending on the unit it might make a little noise. Mine isn't very loud, but then again it's in the front of the basement, so we don't hear it anyway. Once, because of a poor connection on the batteries it alarmed out. We could just barely hear the audible alarm tone in our trailer and it took a bit to figure out where the noise was coming from. LOL. Keep in mind that you should keep the wires running to the batteries as short and big a gauge as you can and you definitely should but a fuse or breaker in the line.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The problem with LED readouts and meters in the bedroom is the light keeps some folks from sleeping, or sleeping well. :(

Tags
inverter