Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

Sink water coming up in shower

Sure would love some help on this one grey water tank empty used bleach down both sinks and draino gel down sinks to no help used a great plunger forever finally bought a arguer and it went to bottom of gray water tank turning it all the way I am about to just give up and sure don't to get robbed by a plummer who would do the same thing if any one can help me I would really appreciate it . Thanks ahead of time I just do not know any think else to do
gibby72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a clogged vent, go on the roof or get someone to , pull the caps off and see if they are clogged. Also do yourself a favor, DO NOT use draino , then use a plunger! The suction of the plunger could get it to spray on you when it pops off, not a good thing! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Sounds like a clogged vent, go on the roof or get someone to , pull the caps off and see if they are clogged. Also do yourself a favor, DO NOT use draino , then use a plunger! The suction of the plunger could get it to spray on you when it pops off, not a good thing! Bobby
Thanks for the nice reply however My 30Ft keystone Cougar has those caps on each vent under the sink and shower and I have them off they call those a vacuum cap or something .
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

You should have a roof vent as well, for fumes from the tank. Go look.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

Even a clogged vent would slowly let the water into the gray tank, the air would burp up from the shower drain.

Are you sure the tank you drained was the gray tank and did it actually drain ?

Open the drain valve and snake it that way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
You should have a roof vent as well, for fumes from the tank. Go look.
Never have checked a roof vent before guess maybe a cap or whatever on it and maybe look with flash light and i HAVE A BLATTER THAT I USE AT HOME to clear clogs tHANKS AGAIN FOR THE GOOD HELP.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Even a clogged vent would slowly let the water into the gray tank, the air would burp up from the shower drain.

i CAN LEAVE THE gray tank closed for several days and some water will come out of it however I leave it closed most of the time however I did open it to snake out the shower drain and I heard the snake in the bottom of the tank ai have never drained the black tank yet as it is not full yet.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby72 View Post
Sure would love some help on this one grey water tank empty used bleach down both sinks and draino gel down sinks to no help used a great plunger forever finally bought a arguer and it went to bottom of gray water tank turning it all the way I am about to just give up and sure don't to get robbed by a plummer who would do the same thing if any one can help me I would really appreciate it . Thanks ahead of time I just do not know any think else to do
gibby72
Draining a kitchen sink full of water will always cause some water to come up out of my shower tub drain...unless we use one of these in the tub/shower drain while draining the kitchen sink.

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

I will try snake from sewer connection into the grey tank and I know to keep black water valve closed. I have a thing that I bought to hook up water hose and hook to sewer line to flush it out and maybe I can hook it up and open grey tank and flush from there and what do you think . I am age 72 and this makes me pretty nervous after about a week HA HA love you guys for the help
Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
i CAN LEAVE THE gray tank closed for several days and some water will come out of it

Some?

4 showers and some dish washing and mine is full.

however I leave it closed most of the time

Most of the time ?

however I did open it to snake out the shower drain and I heard the snake in the bottom of the tank

Did you snake up from the drain ?

My single drain connection has 2 valves. 1 is big (3"), that is black tank the small one (1-1/2 ) is the gray.

ai have never drained the black tank yet as it is not full yet.

Are you gauging that by the lights on the panel ? Don't trust them !!!
Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the nice reply however My 30Ft keystone Cougar has those caps on each vent under the sink and shower and I have them off they call those a vacuum cap or something .
gibby72
The devices "on each of your vents under the sink and shower" are Air Admittance Valves (AAVs), which have nothing to do with your "sink water coming up in shower" problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
gibby72
The devices "on each of your vents under the sink and shower" are Air Admittance Valves (AAVs), which have nothing to do with your "sink water coming up in shower" problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
I agree. I had mine completely removed and the little cap off, and removing the little cap does nothing to aid air admittance or vacuum breaking or anything. If water is coming up in your shower, then the tank is full, or the line to the tank is clogged. If someone puts grease down the RV drain, then I don't know what will help you. If that isn't the problem, I would start by dumping the tanks, both of them, as I have heard some strange things about rv manufacturers routing one of the sinks or the shower to the black tank, plumbing install mistakes, etc.

When in doubt, I dump and rinse, and go from there.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I agree. I had mine completely removed and the little cap off, and removing the little cap does nothing to aid air admittance or vacuum breaking or anything. If water is coming up in your shower, then the tank is full, or the line to the tank is clogged. If someone puts grease down the RV drain, then I don't know what will help you. If that isn't the problem, I would start by dumping the tanks, both of them, as I have heard some strange things about rv manufacturers routing one of the sinks or the shower to the black tank, plumbing install mistakes, etc.
1bigmess
In many coaches, (and nearly all Safaris), the bathroom sink drains into the black tank.
I can't tell you why... but I can tell you that I owned my Safari for over 10 yeas, (and drove it 80,000+ miles), before I learned that.
Check yours you may be surprised to find that yours does too?

BTW, my kitchen sink drain water sometimes comes up in my tub/shower when I know my tanks are empty.
Apparentlyit is because of a drain "plumbing install mistake" because I also know that my drain lines are not clogged.

Mel
'96 Safari, (145k miles)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

Well thanks for the help and I just back flushed the gray water tank twice and it is filling up and running out clear water however the shower drain is still stopped up the only thing that I have not done is snake out the roof vent but took the cap off it and looked good on the outside and no junk around the pipe .thanks for the help and I am about at my wits end and just don't know what to do I am not calling a plumber because he can't do more than I have .any and all ideas are appreciated

Tags
shower, water