Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Size generator to run furnace and refrig

Am wondering if the Honda 1000 can handle this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have an RV frig with propane or electric. If so, you will just need to keep the batteries charge to run the frig (controls require 12 volts). The furnace can really suck the battery down pretty fast depending on the batteries and the temperature.

Are you wanting to keep the batteries charged?

Ken

Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd go with a 2000.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

I do have propane ref rig. I was really concerned if a 1000 could run the heat. They have one on sale at menaces for 250 $ and thought it might help out. So was not sure the wattage of the furnace. I have a 31 ft pull behind. Propane heat but it takes elec for the fan.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you not have 12 volt batteries? The normal RV furnace runs from the batteries. Do you have one or two batteries and are they deep cycle batteries?

With the batteries you need to make sure you have enough power to run the furnace through the night so you can recharge the batteries the next day.

The charge circuit in most generators and the charge circuit in the power converters do not have a high charge rate. You will need to get a 120 volt battery charger and run your generator to power the charger. It will take a few hours to get the batteries back to near full charged state.

You neighbors may not want to listen to a loud commercial generator for a few hours.

You need to add up the watts for the various items that you will run and see how long your batteries will last.

Ken
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Hello

I am a new member and this is my first post

I have a 26 foot travel trailer with 2 deep sycle batteries. I had a bad back and bough a Honda 1000...only 29 pounds. Camping in 35 to 40 degree nights we used the gen for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening with the trailer plugged into the gen. via an adaptor. This did fine for keeping our batteries up to run the refrigerator and water hearter circuit boards, lights (12V) and furnace overnight. We found a 600 watt coffee maker and a 650 watt toaster that we could use one at a time while running the generator. We had to make sure the refigerator was on the gas selection and not auto. If on auto it would switch to electric when the gen was running an then the coffee maker would overload the gen. Would not run water heater on electric or the microwave.

After my back healed we bought a Honda 2000 generator. With this generator we use a regular coffee pot and toaster. The 2000 will run my microwave but just bearly. Will not run the A/C. With the 2000 I can leave the refrigerator on Auto and save a little propane while on electric. My wife can now use her hair dryer. We still use some power management not running to many items at the same time. We normally leave the generator on the econo throttle where it goes to idle with low loads and increases throttle automatically to meet the load. This keeps the generator as quiet as possible and save gas. If we are going to apply a heavy load, like the microwave, I go out and switch off the econo throttle, the generator goes to full throttle and doesn't bog down when the load is applied. I recommend the 2000 watt

Tips: (!) In colder weather, or if the above doesn't charge your batteries enough for overnight 12 volt/furnace fan use....instead of letting you RV converter charge the batteries, use an auto type charger plugged into the generator and connected to the battery for much more efficient charging. (2) Always, always open the cover on the generator after a trip and loosen the screw under the carb bowl and drain the carb. It will drain out the plastic line. (3) If the generator quits putting out voltage but keeps running it is triped off line from an overload. To reset you have to turn the gen off and restart. (3) Always start the generator before plugging in the trailer or other load...always unplug trailer or other loads before turning off the generator. (4) if the generator stops running: Check that the vent on the gas cap is open, check that there is gas in the generator, check oil level, there is a low oil switch that shuts the gen. down if there is low oil. If people would do these things I could spend more time doing camping stuff rather than fixing generators, eh.

I know...more than you wanted to know...Hey, it's my first post!!

Happy Trails
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #7

I don't think this would be an issue with the Honda 1000 & 2000 generators; they are very quiet. Even the 3000 is much quieter than the typical RV Onan, which in turn is much quieter than the low cost generators available at typical hardware stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
... You neighbors may not want to listen to a loud commercial generator for a few hours.... Ken
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #8

thanks

ok so odviously i am a newbie. i totally did not realize i could run the heater with the battery. ha ha.. i bought trailer from someone that also never used it that way. so, the battery on there is not a deep cycle. i will go buy them and that should solve all my troubles. to run the generator full time would cost me a fortune. thanks for your help. i am hoping Sams still has them. i cant find them on the website anywhere so will go and ask.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #9

Here is a gen, low cost, almost as quite as a Honda that will take care of it all:

Champion Power Equipment Inc - Champion 4000 Watt Portable Generator-49-State Model - Portable Generators - Camping World

The Hondas are nice but under powered and big $$
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

Yes, you could go with a Champion 4000W....IF you don't mind having to have two people to lift it, IF you don't run any sensitive equipment like computers, TVs, etc, IF you don't mind it running at full power constantly at 68db and if you don't ever camp at National Parks and many other campgrounds that limit generators to a maximum of 59db. The Honda is an inverter generator which means it puts out stable, clean constant power suitable for sensitive equipment. It will charge your batteries and run other light loads at around 53 to 55db. When the absolute full power load is applied the Honda will advanced the throttle automatically to full power which is 59db and drop it back down when the load lessens...you won't be thrown out of the National Park or get many complaints from other campers. Yes, if you want a Honda bring money!! There are some other very good brands out there that also are inverter generators and are quiet...I just happen to have a Honda and love it!

I have friends that have the champion 4000W and love them for home power outages, for the work site or up at the private hunt camp...a good dependable low cost generator...but I wouldn't take one anywhere that I camp.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #11

Honda Champion
59 db 68db 9db difference

32# 110#

Both can run computers and tv's

Champion can run an A/C plus, Honda can't

Honda $999 Champ $299

For my $$ I'd go with the champ and be cool....
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Stay FAR away from the champions.

Sound power doubles every 3 decibels. That champion is THREE TIMES louder than the honda.

Infield camping at chicagoland speedway last month, the guy next to me had a 4000 watt champion. He intended to let it run all night. My neighbors and I spoke to him but he wouldn't shut it off. So we did. Everytime he fired it up the first night we shut it off for him. He eventually got the message.

My onan 8k diesel sounds like an idling smart car compared to that chinese monster.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the fridge and your converter.

RV Fridges on AC typically draw around 350 watts. This leaves about 600 watts for your convrter.. so a 45 amp converter MIGHT overload if the batteries are low.

If you notice I did not include the furnace.. It runs on 12 volts from the converter

NOTE: IF it does overload, and your converter is 60 amp or less. Switch the Fridge to gas and you will be just fine.

On some Dometics to "lock" it in gas mode.. Without shore power (It will auto switch to gas) press the button, this will turn off the AUTO light.. now it will remain on Gas when you fire up the honda.

To switch back to electric when plugged into shore power.. Touch button again.

NOTE also, that the draw of the converter depends on the state of charge of the battery.. Full up they draw less.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Stay FAR away from the champions.

Sound power doubles every 3 decibels. That champion is THREE TIMES louder than the honda.

Infield camping at chicagoland speedway last month, the guy next to me had a 4000 watt champion. He intended to let it run all night. My neighbors and I spoke to him but he wouldn't shut it off. So we did. Everytime he fired it up the first night we shut it off for him. He eventually got the message.

My onan 8k diesel sounds like an idling smart car compared to that chinese monster.
Are you sure it was the 4000 champion? A friend of mine bought one and we used it for a party and it didn't seem that loud. It was heavy but ran everything and was good on gas.