Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
My story might help make your decision, TV is Ford E 150 5.8 engine. For several years, towed a 25 ft Dutchman with reese hitch and sway control. It was a bear, swayed a lot. I dreaded being passed by large trucks. In 2005 bought a 31 ft Rockwood 8314SS (8000lbs) and fear drove me to install an Equalizer (brand) hitch. The trailer tows beautifully. Trucks no longer bother me. I do wish for more power, and borrow my son's Dodge dually Cummins when travelling in mountains. The Cummins is excessive power, but really flattens out the world. I think your experience will be about the same, go for it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #16

Is bigger always better? You bet it is. Looks like the homework has been done correctly and now it is time for a test drive. You will find that with a good hitch system and brake system you will only have to get familar to turns and parking like mentioned in eariler posts.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
In apologize if I did not explain myself well enough in my last post. I was not attempting to
compare a class 8 to a class 2 or 3. What I was trying to explain is that the length of the tow vehicle is not the only or major perimeter in quantifying the towing length capabilities of the TV. I do think we agree on many of the major points in safely towing an RV.

Speaking of massive trailers, Google Australian truck trains. Amazing what those guys drive.
No apologizes needed, if I came off wrong - that is me and not intended. Something I work on and can't seem to find the fix!! I do take suggestions.. :-)
Those Aussi's truck trains are huge!! I cannot imagine that much weight behind me with (in comparison)a small tractor!! I would like a try!!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
No apologizes needed, if I came off wrong - that is me and not intended. Something I work on and can't seem to find the fix!! I do take suggestions.. :-)
Those Aussi's truck trains are huge!! I cannot imagine that much weight behind me with (in comparison)a small tractor!! I would like a try!!
My wife had her hands full the last 25 years trying to get me to tone down a bit...
It's hard on a forum to really get the gist of a post since there's no facial expressions or hand waving. No problem, we got to the middle ground, which is a good thing. We were both right, but I didn't do the best of jobs in explaining what I meant.