Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Skyline Nomad/Layton/Weekender 186

Looking to trading to a newer lighter model from our 2004 Explorer 190. The skyline comes in at 2500lbs unloaded while the Explorer is 4300. Also it is way lower profile. 2 questions. Will I still need my weight distribution hitch? Pulling with a 98 F150. Just wondering so I can take the knuckles off the old trailer before hand.
Also, anyone have experiences with these trailers? Its a little smaller than ours height wise so it feels smaller but its nearly the same length. Not sure if my wife and I will have enough room with two small dogs and an baby due in July.
Thanks for the help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #2

Good question - if you said you had a 3/4 ton truck with the much more stable suspension I would say 'No' don't need the WD hitch with confidence.

The 2500 lb trailer will become 3200 when loaded. So with a light duty truck I am going to guess 'No'. This is just a 'guess' based on how short and light the new trailer is.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Looking to trading to a newer lighter model from our 2004 Explorer 190. The skyline comes in at 2500lbs unloaded while the Explorer is 4300.
The Weekender website is sorely lacking.. It shows the "weight" as 3,850, but it doesn't define that weight as dry or GVWR. I suspect it's the dry weight. Where did you get the 2,500 number?
Product Page | Skyline Recreational Vehicles

Quote:
Will I still need my weight distribution hitch? Pulling with a 98 F150. Just wondering so I can take the knuckles off the old trailer before hand.
I would not tow any TT that weighs more than about 3,500 pounds without a WD hitch with dual sway control.

Quote:
Also, anyone have experiences with these trailers?
We have a 2012 Nomad Joey 196, which is just a bit longer than the Weekender 186. We love our Joey after one 4,200-mile round trip to Canada and another 600-mile round trip through the Texas Hill Country to Austin and back. We always take our Border Collie and our lap dog with us on RV trips.

Here's ours:

Notice the walk-around queen-size bed, big closet in the bathroom, and separate shower/tub. Those were "gotta have" items for us.

Here's the Weekender 186:

I like the bunkhouse design of the Weekender 186, but Darling Wife would veto it because it has a regular-size bed that is not walk-around. Been there, done that. She insists on a walk-around bed on 3 sides so she can make the bed without being a contortionist. And the 186 has minimal closet space. Darling Wife would veto that too.

Quote:
Not sure if my wife and I will have enough room with two small dogs and an baby due in July.
Should be plenty of room if you plan ahead and "make do with what you've got". Use one of the bunks for the dog crate(s), and the other for the baby. Or if you don't mind converting the dinette to a baby bed, then converting it back to a dinette before you do any "living" in the trailer, then put the baby on the dinette/bed for the night and move it to the bunk during the day. Also use part of the bunk space for storage of bags and suitcases needed because of the minimal closet space.

One thing we learned is that only one adult at a time can move around. One can be in the bathroom and the other in the kitchen, but not both in the same room at the same time. I'm usually sitting at the dinette while Darling Wife is doing her thing in the kitchen. And the dogs cannot be laying in the middle of the floor - ours must stay in their space beside the bed. Yours must stay on their bunk, maybe even in their crate(s), when inside the trailer. Then you can "make do".

BTW, you mentioned three brands of Skyline model 186. There are at least 5. Add Aljo and Mountain View to your list.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
You will love towing the lighter trailer! The weight distribution hitch will be optional. I have towed a 1800 pound trailer across the US without WD. I presently tow a 2800 pound R-Vision without WD on short trips with my F150. I use the WD on longer trips just because I have it.
NCcamper