Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
whitemule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19
skylite leak

notoced a leak in skylite yesterday just bought trailer 3 wks on roof insp. lot of sealent patch work around lite we new it leaked before.so roof is rubber should i remove old patch caulking etc and stat over or try reair over old repair
__________________

__________________
whitemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Registered User
 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake George, Mi
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemule
notoced a leak in skylite yesterday just bought trailer 3 wks on roof insp. lot of sealent patch work around lite we new it leaked before.so roof is rubber should i remove old patch caulking etc and stat over or try reair over old repair
If it were me, I would remove the entire unit and all the old caulk and start fresh. There is a reason it leaked to begin with and a reason subsequent repairs have failed. Use a good RV caulk for rubber roofs. Problem solved for 10+ years
__________________

__________________
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
whitemule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon69 View Post
If it were me, I would remove the entire unit and all the old caulk and start fresh. There is a reason it leaked to begin with and a reason subsequent repairs have failed. Use a good RV caulk for rubber roofs. Problem solved for 10+ years
ok will see what it takes to remove all the old patch
__________________
whitemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 115
Once you get it out and all the old caulking removed, I'd recommend butyl rubber caulking. You might have to go to an RV supply place to find it, but it's good stuff.
__________________
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
whitemule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
Once you get it out and all the old caulking removed, I'd recommend butyl rubber caulking. You might have to go to an RV supply place to find it, but it's good stuff.
thanks for info
__________________
whitemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water leak at filler port-what is the box called? Orville Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 6 02-20-2012 11:19 PM
Leak at propane cylinder bobinyelm RV Systems & Appliances 3 02-18-2012 09:09 PM
Leak in slideout redsoxfan 5th Wheel Discussion 2 02-18-2012 08:42 AM
Roof leak bigdog National RV Owner's Forum 1 02-18-2012 08:03 AM
Roof cap leak kartvines iRV2.com General Discussion 3 02-17-2012 10:08 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.