Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 03:09 AM   #1

Slide extend and retract procedure

On our new to us 2016 Keystone Hideout 28BHS we have been operating the slide, but somewhat nervously as we approach full extend and full retract. Our procedure is what our dealer showed us; press the slide extend switch until the slide stops moving, and to retract do the opposite. The issue is that when we do this we hear a popping sound when the slide bottoms out at full extend or retract. Is this proper procedure? Should we make a mark somewhere so we know when to stop before the pop? Thanks!
JSPulliam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #2

That is how I do it. When the slide stops I remove my hand from the toggle switch. The slide will make a fair share of noise as it goes in and out but none of mine make a popping sound. Oh, I have crunched a few things with the slide so make sure everything it clear. I had a 5th wheel with design flaw. The kitchen slide, after towing on a rough road the drawers would pop open. Then the slide would catch the drawer and get crunched. Yep, that cause a lot of damage...ugh.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #3

Never stop the slide at any point, always allow it to travel to full open or full close, even leave the button pressed for 5 seconds after it stops. This will keep your motors synchronized. The crunching noise could be because slide is not moving evenly, so make sure it is even on both sides when opened or closed. Sometimes when the motors get out of sync one side is not even. Also get a flashlight and watch the slide as it moves to make sure something isn't getting crunched in the support rollers. If you don't see anything and the sides are even, then it may just be noises your slide makes in operation. They all make unique sounds, getting familar with the sound will help you know when something is not sounding as usual. You also need to lubricate the slide, there are many youtube videos on the operation and maintenance of Lippert/Schwintek slides to help get educated.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

It only pops when you hit full open or full closed. Almost like you would think of a drill or driver clutch ratcheting when it slips. Didn't know if you were supposed to go that far or not, or if I am slipping a clutch or jumping gear teeth. To be clear, during travel it is smooth and quiet.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
The slide on our 27BHS makes the same 'ratcheting' noise at full extension and retraction. At our PDI it was explained to me that it was normal. I was told to extend / retract until I heard that noise and then stop.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Roger that. With all the misinformation that can be thrown around I thought it better to double check than to continue tearing something up. Thanks all.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 View Post
Roger that. With all the misinformation that can be thrown around I thought it better to double check than to continue tearing something up. Thanks all.
And you don't think you would get misinformation from this forum? Someone may answer your question with the correct procedure for their slide which would be completely incorrect or your slide. I learned a long time ago, go to the horse's mouth for correct answers. In this case that would be your slide mechanism manufacturer. They have manuals for their different models online that will tell you the correct way to operate your slide.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Schwinntek slide with two synchronized motors and you can stop it at any point and either reverse direction or continue the direction it was going when you stopped. If it gets confused and one side contacts the gasket first just holding the button down for three seconds after it stops moving resets the motors and it will work normally after that. Other kinds of slides may have different procedures.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

The clicking/ popping noise is the dummy noise to let you know the slide is fully extended or retracted. I was taught not to let go of the button until you hear that noise
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide