Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Slide extension & retraction problems.

I have my first trailer with a slide (LR and dining booth). The slide has worked fine until my last camping trip. It as very slow during extension and would not retract on
the first attempt. I understand that the slide operates from my trailer battery and I know that the battery is good. In the past I have disconnected the negative cable when stored, but recently, I put on a disconnect (HF with a bolt that is tightened or loosened as needed). When the slide did not work, I thought I would make a last ditch effort and plug the trailer back to the 30 amp connection just to see what would happen. Thankfully, it worked with no further issues. The only variable from the past trips and this one was the disconnect switch. Could this be the problem? Was it just coincidence that connecting the trailer to power made it work? Thanks in advance for your help!
caddo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Did you use a factory disconnect? If so did you use the same size battery cable to hook it up? How long was the additional cable that you installed to add the disconnect? I am asking these question as you may have added too much voltage drop to the battery and that would effect the movement. Plugging it in allows higher voltage as the battery charger kicks in so it will then move fine.

Definitely not a coincidence but need more information to help determine what is going on. Also how old are batteries?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Too much resistance though the new switch?
Battery partly discharged?
Battery going bad?

I'd do a load test on the battery first.
On our DSDP with four house batteries the instructions say to be plugged in, running the generator or have the engine running when extending or retracting the slides.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

The disconnect that I used came from Harbor Freight. One end of the switch fits over the negative post on my battery. The opposite end has a post to attach the negative cable; however, I have attached the flat, side mount style terminal to the disconnect using a bolt and nut. Between the two ends is a knob that can be used to connect or disconnect the ground.
The battery is two years old and I know it is good. I am wondering if this set up may have resulted in a voltage drop as you suggested. Other battery operated components have not been impacted.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

Thanks to both of you for responding.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #6

The reason the other items have not been impacted is that they do not draw as much current as the slide outs do. Remove the disconnect and try again I bet it will be fine. I do want want to ruin your day but Harbor Freight have very cheap, low quality items. All it takes is a little resistance added to the system to add voltage drop which will cause the issues you are experiencing. Try a quality Disconnect from a RV dealer or Camping World and you may have better results. I don't mean to know Harbor freight as I use them a lot but electrical items are not always best purchased from cheap importers.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #7

I agree about HF. I have been happy with most products, but some have totally failed. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Think I will go back to the old method and it will be resolved. Happy trails!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #8

The best disconnects are the switch type, they seem to work pretty well. You may just have a bad connection which is giving you a high resistance connection. A few picture of it connected would help me see if there is anything obvious.

Tags
slide