Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Slide out supports. Yes or No

When you set up your camper and extend your slide out and plan to leave it out for a period of time do you put supports uder the slide out? I've been told you should to keep the slide out from sagging. I've also been told never to do that because the camper will settle and bend the slide out rails. Just wondering what you all think.
Arthur

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Everything I personally have ever seen says never to put a support under the slide out.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've never owned an RV where slideout supports were needed, recommended or even permitted. The RV is designed to support the slideouts without any crutches, props, etc.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most manufacturers specifically say not to put any sort of support under the slides. The problem is if you have a stabilizer or jack settle, the one under the slide may not settle and will in effect raise the slide relative to the main body. This could cause expensive damage to the slide or coach frame.

So be sure and read the owners manual reegarding the slides and follow their advice.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All the above is true. I have bought an used stablisers for my slide out. The thing is how to use them properly.

Your RV should do most of of the settling it is going to do in the first 24 - 48 hours after setting it up.

If you are going to use stablizers only put enough pressure on the to take out the bounce when you are in the slide portion of your RV. Do Not over tighten.

Treat the stabilizers like any other RV system (like you have a mild case of OCD) and check them frequently to ensure that there is no excess pressure. on them.

Read your RV Manual and follow there advice.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen a few rigs designed to have supports under the slides. HOWERVER

Imagine you set your rig up in a campground I frequent. the sites are nice and clean, paved with ashpalt.. It sits there (you set up in the early morn or late at night when it was cool) You put your supports under the slides.

Tomorrow when the sun comes up the ashphalt gets hottger and the jacks sink in 4-6 inches.. But the slde supports do not.. Imagine how that's going to mess your slides up BIG TIME.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
True, you have to take envirmental conditions into effect. Last week i was on a hard gravel pad that was nice and solid. this weekend I am parked in a grassy feild and the ground is like a sponge, raining heavy which is not helping. Had slide stabilizers out last week but would not think of puting them out now no mater how much my 5er is rocking.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll not be using any supports under my slide out.
Arthur
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #9

It seems like my Puma27RLS(08) leans to the slide out side under certain conditions. This has caused me difficulty trying to level the trailer.... I should have checked whether or not the asphalt surface was at fault but did not & made the previous assumption. That's how I came across this forum; doing a search for purchase of the supports. I see that there are some definite cons along with a few pros. At least it doesn't seem like an emergency now! :>) Thanks to all for the great answers!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
When I first bought my class A I bought slide out supports The first night we set up I did not lower the air bags. In the morning my DW noticed the top of the slide out was about 2 in. The air bags had caused the coach to settle causing the slide out to be pushed up. I now lower the air bags but do not use the supports anymore.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

Years ago a company made collapsing slide supports. They collapsed at a preset pressure to prevent damage. I cannot find them on the internet now. I suspect because they didn't perform as advertised.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I vote no, and that is because the manufacturer of my fiver, Jayco, says they are not needed and are not recommended. As beefy as the support for the slide is on my rig, I agree with them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide